5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ah yes. I didn’t read the sig. sorry

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To refresh everyone's memory, the service procedure for Ram DT AC performance (which is the check to see if it meets specification) is to "insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes." The other vent temperatures do not apply to the specification.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530338 miles.

StraightArrow

Reaction score
I’m glad I stumbled across this…. I bought a 2020 Bighorn 1500 last fall. Love the truck, but have thought NUMEROUS times “the A/C in this thing SUCKS!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took mine in yesterday for a couple things, teh AC being one of them. I have been temping for over 2 weeks and can't get anywhere close to 40 degrees which is what the AC thermometers recommend, hence the green zone. They gave me a loaner (2020 V6 Warlock) and I could immediately feel the difference in temp and fan speed. I got this truck to temp at 42 degrees where mine is 52 plus every day of the week. Service said they tested my truck and it is blowing ice cold. I said you're crazy...have the manager call me in the morning.

U

User_3336

Took mine in yesterday for a couple things, teh AC being one of them. I have been temping for over 2 weeks and can't get anywhere close to 40 degrees which is what the AC thermometers recommend, hence the green zone. They gave me a loaner (2020 V6 Warlock) and I could immediately feel the difference in temp and fan speed. I got this truck to temp at 42 degrees where mine is 52 plus every day of the week. Service said they tested my truck and it is blowing ice cold. I said you're crazy...have the manager call me in the morning.
So, the service department considers 52 degrees "ice cold"? LOL

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, the service department considers 52 degrees "ice cold"? LOL
My thoughts exactly. They also want to go with well it doesn't get as cool when it's hot out. Ummmm...isn't that why we have MAX temp AC? This thing is not not cold I never move it off of MAX and I never cool down. Full day of golf and I drive home a hot mess the whole way...I KNOW the difference. Not sure why they would even debate it given the TSB basically saying fix it.

ericd

Reaction score
So I had the TSB done a while back and didn't notice a huge improvement. So I decided to test the "hack" just to see if it made any difference. The 52* is after the TSB was performed. The 46* is right after I put the hose clamp on. So even after the TSB there still seems to be some sort of underperformance. At this point I am not gonna let them tear the dash apart again so i guess I'll live with the clamps. IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0763.JPG

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got mine back from the dealer and they said it was temping within range at 48-50 and did nothing. First i would love to know which temp gauge they used and which vent because I have been temping daily for weeks and cannot get anything in the 40s. I have it running 52-56 regularly...passenger side slightly cooler. The loaner truck I had temped at 42 consistently. So if it's 90 degrees outside is he going to set his AC at home to 72 or 82? That's the same ridiculous range they are asking me to take as acceptable in a brand new vehicle with a known issue. I have a call into the service manager - I want this fixed. It is not cool enough running 50-52 no matter what the temp is outside.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got mine back from the dealer and they said it was temping within range at 48-50 and did nothing. First i would love to know which temp gauge they used and which vent because I have been temping daily for weeks and cannot get anything in the 40s. I have it running 52-56 regularly...passenger side slightly cooler. The loaner truck I had temped at 42 consistently. So if it's 90 degrees outside is he going to set his AC at home to 72 or 82? That's the same ridiculous range they are asking me to take as acceptable in a brand new vehicle with a known issue. I have a call into the service manager - I want this fixed. It is not cool enough running 50-52 no matter what the temp is outside.
When I checked mine I had three different gauges available to me and all three gave me a different reading. Hopefully they are using a calibrated instrument.

But that's really besides the point. Based on what you've described the AC in your vehicle is probably not making the spec. of 45 degrees F. at 70 degree ambient, or 55 degrees F. at 90 ambient. And that should be measured at the driver's side, center stack outlet with the engine at 1000 RPM.

There's this thing called a service manual that lists the set up and specifications.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053558 miles.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
When I checked mine I had three different gauges available to me and all three gave me a different reading. Hopefully they are using a calibrated instrument.

But that's really besides the point. Based on what you've described the AC in your vehicle is probably not making the spec. of 45 degrees F. at 70 degree ambient, or 55 degrees F. at 90 ambient. And that should be measured at the driver's side, center stack outlet with the engine at 1000 RPM.

There's this thing called a service manual that lists the set up and specifications.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053558 miles.
Not sure why you keep bringing up the service manual and the temp chart in it that IMHO a dead AC unit could surpass with ease. This TSB has nothing to do with that whatsoever. Here's the cut & paste from the TSB.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience the following:
• Poor Air conditioning system performance (Slow or excess time to cool down).
• HVAC is slow to cool, left center instrument panel outlet is warmer than right side instrument
panel outlets.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.

Nowhere does it say that it needs to meet a certain temp. Nor do they have to test before they perform it. They simply need to register the customer's complaint about it.

Once it was done on my Limited, I got an instant 8F drop in temp from the left vent. Now the temp between driver & passenger side vents is close to one another.

Dealerships need to stop trying to deny there is a problem and just get on with fixing it. RAM wouldn't have issued a TSB that doesn't even require verification if it wasn't a problem.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Don't take no for an answer. If I were you, I'd go back in with the TSB in my hand and have them explain how it doesn't apply to you. If you search this thread, I've posted my before & aft temps for both sides. You don't even need a thermometer to tell there is a significant difference in temp between the driver & passenger center stack vents.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Best regards,
Dusty
this is my driver side temp temp all day every day. this is while driving for 40 minutes highway at 77 degrees outside at 3pm.

Attachments

• driver side.jpg
    driver side.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 57

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure why you keep bringing up the service manual and the temp chart in it that IMHO a dead AC unit could surpass with ease. This TSB has nothing to do with that whatsoever. Here's the cut & paste from the TSB.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience the following:
• Poor Air conditioning system performance (Slow or excess time to cool down).
• HVAC is slow to cool, left center instrument panel outlet is warmer than right side instrument
panel outlets.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.

Nowhere does it say that it needs to meet a certain temp. Nor do they have to test before they perform it. They simply need to register the customer's complaint about it.

Once it was done on my Limited, I got an instant 8F drop in temp from the left vent. Now the temp between driver & passenger side vents is close to one another.

Dealerships need to stop trying to deny there is a problem and just get on with fixing it. RAM wouldn't have issued a TSB that doesn't even require verification if it wasn't a problem.
If the tech. doesn't have a specification, how does he and the service department know an adequately repair has been completed or the vehicle is performing correctly? The TSB does not change or offer a different spec. and doesn't say to ignore the specification in the service manual.

In Trippi's previous note he said the service dept. measured 48-50 degrees with the implication that was adequate. It's not, and the Ram spec. indicates it's not. TSB or no TSB, it isn't performing as it should and the spec. proves it. If service tries to argue it's fine, Trippi now has the knowledge that service is ignoring the problem.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053711 miles.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
If the tech. doesn't have a specification, how does he and the service department know an adequately repair has been completed or the vehicle is performing correctly? The TSB does not change or offer a different spec. and doesn't say to ignore the specification in the service manual.

In Trippi's previous note he said the service dept. measured 48-50 degrees with the implication that was adequate. It's not, and the Ram spec. indicates it's not. TSB or no TSB, it isn't performing as it should and the spec. proves it. If service tries to argue it's fine, Trippi now has the knowledge that service is ignoring the problem.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053711 miles.
You can keep arguing about the service manual and spec but you are 100% wrong on this one. Yet the TSB clearly does not reference the service manual and/or spec contained in it. Nor does it say that the technician needs to reproduce the issue. I've read through enough TSBs to know that the dealership has to reproduce the error is in an overwhelming majority of them.

It can't be any more clear than this one line.

This is a 5+ hour job. I can confidently say that Ram would not redesign the HVAC housing and then issue a TSB that basically boils down to "take the customer's word for it and JUST DO IT" for ****s and giggles.

Even the failure code dealerships are instructed to use proves that point
FAILURE CODE:
The dealer must use failure code CC with this Service Bulletin.

Users who are viewing this thread