5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're referring to the temp table in the diagnostic manual, the problem is that those measurements were most likely taken in a DT with a faulty HVAC housing design, which would invalidate them. I can attest that AC performance is night & day different after the TSB was performed on my truck.
I'm sure there's a difference, but it doesn't appear to be the result of the specs changing. The AC performance specifications are the same for 4th gen Rams and even older series Ram trucks. I've enclosed the specs for the 2003 Dakota (AN) as an example which are typical for that era. They match with 4th and 5th gen Rams. Since the redesigned parts are currently in the 2021 Ram DT service manual, I asked a tech. to check to see if the AC performance specs had changed. He reports they haven't.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052505 miles.

Attachments

• img116.jpg
    img116.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 61

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a difference, but it doesn't appear to be the result of the specs changing. The AC performance specifications are the same for 4th gen Rams and even older series Ram trucks. I've enclosed the specs for the 2003 Dakota (AN) as an example which are typical for that era. They match with 4th and 5th gen Rams. Since the redesigned parts are currently in the 2021 Ram DT service manual, I asked a tech. to check to see if the AC performance specs had changed. He reports they haven't.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052505 miles.
Interesting to know, but to an average person that would raise even more questions. A conspiracy theorist would say they intentionally set the thresholds high so pretty much anything would pass. 🙃 :) 🙃

Thanks for enlightening me.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update: around 90 today. 120 in the truck when I got in. Drove for 30 min with the valve open and still around 50 on the right of the stack and 62 on the left. It also took 20 minutes to reach this and that’s the lowest it would go. Very uncomfortable in the cab as it would not keep up. Looks like im gonna need the TSB.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting to know, but to an average person that would raise even more questions. A conspiracy theorist would say they intentionally set the thresholds high so pretty much anything would pass. 🙃 :) 🙃

Thanks for enlightening me.
I think you'll find that many manufacturers set the AC performance specification in the 40-45 degree F range. Like most things they set a spec that will accommodate slight differences in production components.

Interestingly, as I was checking some of the auto repair manuals I have, I found the specification for the 1991-2000 Ford Explorer was 35-40 degrees at 70 ambient, but that was with the heater hoses disconnected. My PT Cruiser manual lists the spec at 35-40, and my 2000 Avalon manual lists the spec at 40-45 at 70 ambient.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052515 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Success on my third attempt! Dealer finally agreed to complete the TSB and ordered the parts!
Excellent!!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052717 miles.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Trucks in the shop now for diagnosis. We’ll see what they say 🤞🏻

BigHerm611

Reaction score
Finally got mine done yesterday. Was supposed to be done Monday, but had to get Ram cares involved even more. Dealer acted like they I never had an appointment and acted like they didn’t want to do the TSB.
Wasn’t able to see if any positive results. Got the truck back when ambient temps were cooler. And I’m at the fire station today until tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealer just diagnosed my truck. They said they will perform the TSB, but the parts are backordered. So I'll get my truck back until then.

BigHerm611

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to test out the results of the TSB, unfortunately, it feels like this TSB didn’t do much. It didn’t start to get cool until I finished my 20 minute drive back home. I need to get a thermometer and get some hard numbers.

Synergy26

Reaction score
I had the update done and the air coming out does seem colder but the fan speed seems slower or less. Anyone else notice this? I'm wondering if they updated the control module correctly

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It made a difference and I got lower temps after the TSB, but like others, the fan speed suffered.
Rather have colder air than high blowing warm air, but ludicrous that these boneheads did not catch this during pre-production testing. SMH…

Last edited:

BigHerm611

Reaction score
dddb516a89adf927156b2a4109f242e7.jpg

Been riding around with a thermometer the last few days. This is the absolute “coldest” I can get my air. I have another appointment to get my truck looked at again and see exactly what’s going on.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

BigHerm611

Reaction score
Either they did it wrong or not all.

That’s what I’m afraid of, I’m hoping it might be some other issue going on. The way my luck is I’ll be stuck with it. Probably next to impossible to get them to double check their work.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Interesting new wrinkle after the TSB was done. I don't like having the AC blowing directly on me, so I set the AC & recirc on and direct it to the defrost vent only. With it set like this, I get a significant amount of air coming out of the footwell vents. Went back to the dealership and the mechanic & I checked a bunch of 1500s on their lot. Two used 2019 (without the TSB applied), no air coming out the bottom. All three of the brand new 2021s (including a TRX) on their lot, air coming out the bottom vents like mine. They've opened a star case on this. Luckily I've figured out a couple of workarounds to use until they release an update to fix it. Have to say I'm still happy I went through with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online