5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

Mr.G

Reaction score
With the valve closed temp went down to 41-42, as others have said check your refrigerant. Personally I am happy with that and have no plans to have the truck ripped apart to get the same if not higher temp. If the fix produced something in the 30s with temp on low and re circulation mode on I would consider it.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just an update from me after about a month…

it made a significant difference. Air blows out the vents a lot harder and the temperature gets fairly cold. Before it was simply pathetic so I would recommend getting the TSB performed.

Nels

Reaction score
Took my truck in yesterday. To be honest, I have a feeling that at least in the northern climates techs up here may have glossed over this one since it got issued in Nov. when AC is not in big demand. Had a bit of a discussion with the actual tech about it.

Parts are on order, and will be bringing it back in once the parts arrive. Not that I don't trust the dealership (actually have a good relationship with them), but with some people reporting damage during the fix, I'm going to photograph the hell out of my interior before it goes in.
Im in Wisconsin. Mentioned tbjs tab to a service tech at my dealer last week. He had never heard of it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It came out in November last year so it’s possible some never heard of it

U

User_3336

So, a '21 manufactured April or May this year should already have this issue fixed from the factory?

Nels

Reaction score
What kind of thermometer are folks using to measure air temp coming from vents?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes it is supposed to be in the green or close. Mine won’t get there, even when ambient air temps are below 80F. What fan speed should I be testing at? I had it on 4.

U

User_3336

I'd test the a/c after driving enough where the cab cools down a bit.
First, I did FULL fan speed.
then after 5-6 minutes I tested it again on recirc. I was in the green It was about 92 outside temp1.jpg temp2.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I gotcha. Some places say put the fan on high. Some say to close all the vents accept the left center and test on low fan. I just left mine in over a 30 min drive on recirc.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
According to the manual one of the other members posted on a different thread on this site, this is how to test it properly.

Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
• Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
• Door and windows closed
• Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
• A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C
compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the 90s this afternoon. Vent temp still at 50 degrees with the valve closed. Guess that’s as low as it gets. I’ll try to record some temps with the valve open next week.
At the ambient temperature at the vehicle and the measured 50 degrees at the center vent, your vehicle is exceeding the factory specification (90 F ambient, 55 F center vent).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052460 miles.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
At the ambient temperature at the vehicle and the measured 50 degrees at the center vent, your vehicle is exceeding the factory specification (90 F ambient, 55 F center vent).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052460 miles.
Problem with this is that it might exceed the factory specs but it doesn't do what it's capable of. With the TSB performed OR the heater core hose clamped, you can get into the 40's in the hottest of temperatures.

55 degree temps on a 90-100 degree day makes for a very hot cabin. The mere existence of the TSB is evidence enough that even RAM has acknowledged their factory specifications are not adequate. While I wait for parts, I've been having to drive around with my hose clamped again. It's been very nice and very cool....but of course it has been raining and my windows have been fogging up. If it weren't for that, I'd just live with the clamp.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Problem with this is that it might exceed the factory specs but it doesn't do what it's capable of. With the TSB performed OR the heater core hose clamped, you can get into the 40's in the hottest of temperatures.

55 degree temps on a 90-100 degree day makes for a very hot cabin. The mere existence of the TSB is evidence enough that even RAM has acknowledged their factory specifications are not adequate. While I wait for parts, I've been having to drive around with my hose clamped again. It's been very nice and very cool....but of course it has been raining and my windows have been fogging up. If it weren't for that, I'd just live with the clamp.
I feel the same way. The next hot sunny say we have, I will open the valve and take temps again since I have a thermometer now.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score

Regards,
Dusty
If you're referring to the temp table in the diagnostic manual, the problem is that those measurements were most likely taken in a DT with a faulty HVAC housing design, which would invalidate them. I can attest that AC performance is night & day different after the TSB was performed on my truck.

U

User_3336

If you're referring to the temp table in the diagnostic manual, the problem is that those measurements were most likely taken in a DT with a faulty HVAC housing design, which would invalidate them. I can attest that AC performance is night & day different after the TSB was performed on my truck.
Truck with a manufacture date of 5/2021 appears to have the TSB or the re-design fixed/applied.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
More testing this morning. Ambient temp is 78 degrees and cloudy. Opened the valve all the way, and made my commute. Vent temps on the right of the stack is 50 degrees, on the left side its 60. I can definitely feel the difference with the valve open. I'll post my afternoon temps later. Too bad it's going to rain everyday so not sure if I'll get a good hot test.

Reactions: 2wd

Users who are viewing this thread