5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX wheels and tires on a Rebel

TTU14

Reaction score
Finally put on the TRX takeoffs I picked up a few weeks ago!
IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg
I found all the info I needed in various places on this forum and youtube, but figured I’d try to condense it into one post for anyone interested in doing the same.

• Lift/Level - You need to at least be leveled. I used Bilstein 5100 shocks in the front set at position 5 - the highest setting Bilstein recommends for Rebels and other trucks with the factory ORP. I did not touch the rear suspension. Along side the level, I installed Rough Country UCAs to correct the ball joint angle, and SuspensionMaxx end links to to correct a knocking noise I picked up after install.

• Spacers- You will need spacers to clear the UCA. I ordered 1.5in Bora spacers directly from Motorsport-Tech. They are made to order and have a 3-6 week lead time, but they're worth the wait. There are cheaper spacers available on Amazon and eBay but I personally wouldn't trust them.
    • TRX wheels do have pockets on the back side of the wheel which allows for smaller spacers. I've seen other people use 1.25s and as small as .5, but I wanted a little bit of poke. The 1.5s left me with about an inch of gap between the tire and the UCA.
70983920118__1889E592-2729-4C3E-9B18-6B6DB1D5D8F3.jpg IMG_5652.jpg

• Rubbing - They will rub, but it can be fixed. I rubbed the fender liner and the factory mud flaps. To fix, I removed the mud flaps and then trimmed about an inch off the plastic liner. It is thin and is easy to trim with a good utility knife. There is a plastic push fastener that secures the bottom of the liner to the wheel arch. I trimmed to about where that faster was, but was still catching the metal bracket behind it. I removed the fastener and hammered the small bracket flat.

• TPMS - I was lucky that this set came with the TPMS sensors still installed. My truck detected them and displayed the pressures automatically after 3-5 miles of driving. If you have a Rebel, your door sticker and TPMS both call for 55PSI front and 45PSI rear which is too high for these tires. Checking the TRX forums, it looks like they are supposed to be at 38PSI. I was able to change the target pressures pretty easily with AlfaOBD. If you've never used AlfaOBD, you'll need a few things. There are other ways to change these settings, but this is what I used:

• Tire Size/Speedo Calibration - Larger tires will make your speedometer read slower than you are actually driving. Mine was off by 5-6mph at 60mph according to the GPS readout on my radar detector. There is an option in AlfaOBD to change the tire size. You can enter the new size in mm or choose from one of their pre-created tire profiles. I've read horror stories of people entering certain sizes that accidentally disables the ParkSense system. Idk if that is specific to certain years or what, but I did not experience that problem. I used the option for Toyo AT 35/12.5/18s based on another post I saw and it got the speedo dead accurate.
IMG_5654.jpg

Overall, I really happy with how it turned out! I've put about 500 miles on everything so far including lots of highway driving and some towing with no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 149

Rammoth_Ram

Reaction score
Good stuff man! Looking at doing the same to my bighorn come end of the year. Looking to get 3.5 ready lift (w/o preload spacer set at #4), bilstein 5100 all around, bora 1.5 spacers. Still looking for a set of local takeoffs at decent price.

JRD

Reaction score
Do you think there would be much difference for air suspension? Also, how is the road noise with those wheels?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you think there would be much difference for air suspension? Also, how is the road noise with those wheels?

The wheels don't create any noise. 🤣

On a serious note, the Wrangler Territory AT's are a fairly quiet tire. I'd say they are about the same as the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and a little more quiet than Duratracs.

JRD

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but would there be any differences between your rebel and if i follow the same procedure for my laramie? I'm picking up wheels only so i guess i could get a different tire but i was just curious if i level my laramie will i have more rubbing than you had in your rebel because stock it sits higher than my laramie? hopefully this makes sense

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but would there be any differences between your rebel and if i follow the same procedure for my laramie? I'm picking up wheels only so i guess i could get a different tire but i was just curious if i level my laramie will i have more rubbing than you had in your rebel because stock it sits higher than my laramie? hopefully this makes sense
I would think with the rebel sitting higher you will need a 33-34” tire and definitely run spacers to give you space from the UCA. Also consider a narrower tire maybe a 11.5 to reduce chopping up the wheel liner.

JRD

Reaction score
I would think with the rebel sitting higher you will need a 33-34” tire and definitely run spacers to give you space from the UCA. Also consider a narrower tire maybe a 11.5 to reduce chopping up the wheel liner.
I’d definitely like to reduce/avoid having to cut up the liner so that is very helpful. I was looking into the 1.5” bora spacers which is seems to be the most popular. I’ve also read about replacing my current UCA with the 2” mopar. If I did swap UCA’s do you think I could fit 35s? This is my first truck with wheels like this so I’m not married to a specific size I’m more concerned with just getting the look

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d definitely like to reduce/avoid having to cut up the liner so that is very helpful. I was looking into the 1.5” bora spacers which is seems to be the most popular. I’ve also read about replacing my current UCA with the 2” mopar. If I did swap UCA’s do you think I could fit 35s? This is my first truck with wheels like this so I’m not married to a specific size I’m more concerned with just getting the look
With the 1 1/2 spacer you should be fine. Just shoot for a narrower tire since your overall ride height won’t be equivalent to the OP

Arduous04

Reaction score
Did you put your spacers only on the front? Or the rear as well? Thanks

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I think the Rebel's 1" lift is from the stiffer front springs and the 33" tires combined. If he uses the same leveling kit as the OP, he could just go up higher on the perch settings since he doesn't have the level setting 5 limitations Rebel have with the adjustable Bilstein 5001.

Arduous04

Reaction score
View attachment 162097

View attachment 162104
I found all the info I needed in various places on this forum and youtube, but figured I’d try to condense it into one post for anyone interested in doing the same.

• Lift/Level - You need to at least be leveled. I used Bilstein 5100 shocks in the front set at position 5 - the highest setting Bilstein recommends for Rebels and other trucks with the factory ORP. I did not touch the rear suspension. Along side the level, I installed Rough Country UCAs to correct the ball joint angle, and SuspensionMaxx end links to to correct a knocking noise I picked up after install.

• Spacers- You will need spacers to clear the UCA. I ordered 1.5in Bora spacers directly from Motorsport-Tech. They are made to order and have a 3-6 week lead time, but they're worth the wait. There are cheaper spacers available on Amazon and eBay but I personally wouldn't trust them.
    • TRX wheels do have pockets on the back side of the wheel which allows for smaller spacers. I've seen other people use 1.25s and as small as .5, but I wanted a little bit of poke. The 1.5s left me with about an inch of gap between the tire and the UCA.
View attachment 162098 View attachment 162099

• Rubbing - They will rub, but it can be fixed. I rubbed the fender liner and the factory mud flaps. To fix, I removed the mud flaps and then trimmed about an inch off the plastic liner. It is thin and is easy to trim with a good utility knife. There is a plastic push fastener that secures the bottom of the liner to the wheel arch. I trimmed to about where that faster was, but was still catching the metal bracket behind it. I removed the fastener and hammered the small bracket flat.

• TPMS - I was lucky that this set came with the TPMS sensors still installed. My truck detected them and displayed the pressures automatically after 3-5 miles of driving. If you have a Rebel, your door sticker and TPMS both call for 55PSI front and 45PSI rear which is too high for these tires. Checking the TRX forums, it looks like they are supposed to be at 38PSI. I was able to change the target pressures pretty easily with AlfaOBD. If you've never used AlfaOBD, you'll need a few things. There are other ways to change these settings, but this is what I used:

• Tire Size/Speedo Calibration - Larger tires will make your speedometer read slower than you are actually driving. Mine was off by 5-6mph at 60mph according to the GPS readout on my radar detector. There is an option in AlfaOBD to change the tire size. You can enter the new size in mm or choose from one of their pre-created tire profiles. I've read horror stories of people entering certain sizes that accidentally disables the ParkSense system. Idk if that is specific to certain years or what, but I did not experience that problem. I used the option for Toyo AT 35/12.5/18s based on another post I saw and it got the speedo dead accurate.
View attachment 162103

Overall, I really happy with how it turned out! I've put about 500 miles on everything so far including lots of highway driving and some towing with no issues.
Thanks for the write up. Did you also go with spacers in the back? Also wondering if you went with aluminum vs steel. Im reading aluminum is fine if from a reputable brand like Bora. Ive secured near new TRX wheels and tires. Looking to get 5100s in front, Rough County UCA and 1.5 Bora spacers. Just curious if rear spacers are needed or look too goofy without. Thanks

SD Rebel

Reaction score
View attachment 162097

View attachment 162104

View attachment 162098 View attachment 162099

View attachment 162103

I was heart set on a 2.5" level with Method wheels and 34-35" tires, but I love the OEM+ looks of this package. You may have swayed me to go this direction.

TTU14

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Did you also go with spacers in the back? Also wondering if you went with aluminum vs steel. Im reading aluminum is fine if from a reputable brand like Bora. Ive secured near new TRX wheels and tires. Looking to get 5100s in front, Rough County UCA and 1.5 Bora spacers. Just curious if rear spacers are needed or look too goofy without. Thanks
I did spacers front and back
This is for OP. Also OP did you go with aluminum or steel?
I went with aluminum, no issues so far!

Users who are viewing this thread