5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters

ferrerc51

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing a TRX Steering wheel with paddle shifters on my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. The steering wheels are identical with all the buttons except for the paddles shifters and square bottom on the steering wheel. My question for the discussion forum is do I need to re-code to make the paddle shifters work since it is pretty much plug and play?

Johnny_H

Reaction score
No idea but I’m watching this thread like a hawk. Pics please when u have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgmac98

Reaction score
from my understanding there are different transmissions that utilize the paddle shifters. I know the GT trucks come with the electronic shift on demand and unlike the little up and down arrows on the non-GT steering wheels, the paddle shifters actually let you shift gears, not just higher gear lockouts.

very interested and following what you find, as i'd love to switch out my GT steering wheel for a flat bottomed TRX wheel.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
from my understanding there are different transmissions that utilize the paddle shifters. I know the GT trucks come with the electronic shift on demand and unlike the little up and down arrows on the non-GT steering wheels, the paddle shifters actually let you shift gears, not just higher gear lockouts.

very interested and following what you find, as i'd love to switch out my GT steering wheel for a flat bottomed TRX wheel.
Yep, the TRX has a 8HP95 and the 1500’s have a 8HP75. However, a tune could allow for the limit buttons to command shifting. That’s already being done for the ecodiesel, but I’m not sure if anyone is doing it yet for the gas versions.

I was chatting with Jimmy07 in another thread and there is more to it than just adding the steering wheel. I do wonder if a harness could be made to connect the paddle shifters to the stock button wiring so they function just like the buttons. That paired with a tune could be a solution.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing a TRX Steering wheel with paddle shifters on my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. The steering wheels are identical with all the buttons except for the paddles shifters and square bottom on the steering wheel. My question for the discussion forum is do I need to re-code to make the paddle shifters work since it is pretty much plug and play?
Did you get the steering wheel installed ?

On_Boooost

Reaction score
Watching like a hawk....
I just want the paddle shifters to be able to be mounted to my 2022 Limited wheel....

On my old F150 - It was an easy swap and a small wiring addition to make it plug and play. Miss the drive modes too.....

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing came of this?
Yes, someone finally got them working. Having etorque would be ideal. The TCM needs to be flashed to a G/T calibration, and some changes with AlfaOBD. Since the G/T is only available with etorque, the TCM calibration is looking for the hydraulic solenoid accumulator, which isn’t present on a non-etorque transmission. Without etorque, that fault would be stored, but there aren’t any driveability issues.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, someone finally got them working. Having etorque would be ideal. The TCM needs to be flashed to a G/T calibration, and some changes with AlfaOBD. Since the G/T is only available with etorque, the TCM calibration is looking for the hydraulic solenoid accumulator, which isn’t present on a non-etorque transmission. Without etorque, that fault would be stored, but there aren’t any driveability issues.
is there a guide on what exactly is needed and step by step?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK I'll bite.
Can someone who doesn't work at a dealership do this?
I'm down to buy a new steering wheel right now and swap it out. Also I have a Limited not a Laramie or Rebel, so I wonder if it would barf on me

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK I'll bite.
Can someone who doesn't work at a dealership do this?
I'm down to buy a new steering wheel right now and swap it out. Also I have a Limited not a Laramie or Rebel, so I wonder if it would barf on me
Actually, a dealership can’t pull this off (or more specifically, witech can’t do the TCM flash). You need to use a cracked version of CDA6 and a micropod clone. The price for CDA6 varies widely depending who you get it from, but I have a guy that’s pretty cheap if interested. Micropod clones go for about $130.
Swapping the wheel in is pretty straightforward.
For the BCM configuration, (for those that don’t already have AlfaOBD) there’s no need to get AlfaOBD specifically for this mod, because CDA6 can do all the settings changes (the AlfaOBD developer actually uses CDA6 to develop his app).
Trim level doesn’t matter, only that the transmission is for an etorque truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Was looking for posts on people who swapped their wheel and I came back to this thread unknowing in the thread until I saw my posts at the bottom lol.

I wonder if the zencarbonfiber.com wheel fits, and maybe the MHF paddle shifters (since zencarbonfiber doesn't sell shifters)

I emailed Zen today about fitment on a 22 Limited, they have a different wheel for 2019-2020 it seems.
Looks like it's around $1k for the wheel without paddles.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a trx wheel in my bighorn for 6 months now. the paddles just do the gear limiter function, as I have not been able to figure how to flash my TCM

Pejcinoski

Reaction score
Hello

I am pulling the trigger to buy the TRX wheel for my 22 Limited e torque.
Could you please assist with what need to be done, how can I flash the TCM? And what else need to be adjusted, I already have ALFA OBD

CJ99X

Reaction score
May want to hope over on the Jeep JL forums as they have gotten the 392 Rubicon wheel to work with the non 392 Jeeps over there. I added them to my Mojave Gladiator with instructions form over there.

Pejcinoski

Reaction score
May want to hope over on the Jeep JL forums as they have gotten the 392 Rubicon wheel to work with the non 392 Jeeps over there. I added them to my Mojave Gladiator with instructions form over there.
Dan you please share the link where exactly I can look for more info?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello

I am pulling the trigger to buy the TRX wheel for my 22 Limited e torque.
Could you please assist with what need to be done, how can I flash the TCM? And what else need to be adjusted, I already have ALFA OBD
You need to buy a ton of other parts not just the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread