5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Price

derp

Reaction score
The competition is the reason. Go check out a base model Raptor. Further more at 75k your over the price of the CyberTruck which will out perform the TRX in every aspect except looks.

Range. a Cybertruck isn't going to long haul tow an RV on a road trip. take your boat to the marina and back, sure.
visibility. the sight lines coming off the CT are awful with the high sides bed.
availability. I bought my RAM because I wanted a new car that weekend due to another car's shortcomings. There was no place to walk into and walk out with a tesla.
aftermarket - there is a massive base of aftermarket comfort, style, and performance mods to conventional drive train trucks.
servicability - availability of non-dealer service for a ram is far ahead of a shop willing to let you pull a tesla into their bay. electrics have a far smaller number of drive line components which is great. I personally look forward tot he idea of a rattle or clunk being able to be serviced by the shop of my choice.

if I could have walked into a shop and bought a model 3 and left the shop with it in hand, I would have. I have no regrets on buying my Ram given the environment of the time.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Cybertruck is a neat concept, but would I trade my more than capable and pleasant looking truck for it...... Hard Pass!

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Range. a Cybertruck isn't going to long haul tow an RV on a road trip. take your boat to the marina and back, sure.
visibility. the sight lines coming off the CT are awful with the high sides bed.
availability. I bought my RAM because I wanted a new car that weekend due to another car's shortcomings. There was no place to walk into and walk out with a tesla.
aftermarket - there is a massive base of aftermarket comfort, style, and performance mods to conventional drive train trucks.
servicability - availability of non-dealer service for a ram is far ahead of a shop willing to let you pull a tesla into their bay. electrics have a far smaller number of drive line components which is great. I personally look forward tot he idea of a rattle or clunk being able to be serviced by the shop of my choice.

if I could have walked into a shop and bought a model 3 and left the shop with it in hand, I would have. I have no regrets on buying my Ram given the environment of the time.

I can't argue on range - real world tests will be needed for that. However, if it drops 50% while towing - that is about spot on with interstate towing with the Ram. 12mpg * 23 Gallons = 276 miles. Obviously the 33 gallon tank is a different story. Recharging is the real difference maker and downfall. This should become quite improved in the next few years though. The Porsche supposedly can get an 80% charge in 5 minutes. Of course that is a 800v system, but it shows what can be possible.
Availability is tough but depends on what your used to. I order my Ram before my wifes Model 3 - and the Ram still took longer.
Aftermarket - there is a ton of aftermarket for the Tesla's - I would strongly argue a bigger market.
Service - Minus any physical issues, everything is fixed remotely, most of the time something may be wrong but you won't know it because they fix it overnight. They can also come to you which is cool, but for the most part there isn't any service. What is really cool here are the updates - we just got an update that made the car faster and extended the range.

I am really disappointed out how the CT looks. I would have strongly considered it if it looked halfway decent and fit in my garage. I can only hope Ram can eventually catch up with electronic tech. I love everything about the Ram but wish it had the power and feel of the M3. We have only had the M3 for a month and I dislike the Ram more and more every time I drive it now lol.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
The Porsche gets a max range of 180 miles and has a price tag of 150-160$ BASE -

I considered a used Prius or a Honda/Toyota hybrid as my commute is 120miles round trip daily. But considering weather and how much time I’m in the vehicle it didn’t make any financial sense at all

Now I’m torn between another 5th Gen or a Challenger 392 manual scatpack - but even then I have a hard time imagining not driving my current RAM because I f@cking like it that much and I’ve owned plenty of luxury brands - I’m likely to just keep my money

I was fantasizing about a Rubicon Gladiator until I drove one. Felt like a tin can and total dog compared to my 5th

Adrianp89

Reaction score
The Porsche gets a max range of 180 miles and has a price tag of 150-160$ BASE -

I considered a used Prius or a Honda/Toyota hybrid as my commute is 120miles round trip daily. But considering weather and how much time I’m in the vehicle it didn’t make any financial sense at all

Now I’m torn between another 5th Gen or a Challenger 392 manual scatpack - but even then I have a hard time imagining not driving my current RAM because I f@cking like it that much and I’ve owned plenty of luxury brands - I’m likely to just keep my money

I was fantasizing about a Rubicon Gladiator until I drove one. Felt like a tin can and total dog compared to my 5th

Range is EPA 200 not much of a difference but supposedly testing in the 280s - which is still low for the segment but base is 103k not 150. Pricing is fair as its inline with the 911.

We considered a ScatPack but it is noticeably slower for nearly the same price as the M3 and eats gas pretty good. For the record she replaced a '16 Charger R/T R/T. The ScatPack does offer a sunroof, cooled seats and Apple CarPlay though. A TRX sounds like it would be good for you, if you don't mind the gas bill.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Range is EPA 200 not much of a difference but supposedly testing in the 280s - which is still low for the segment but base is 103k not 150. Pricing is fair as its inline with the 911.

We considered a ScatPack but it is noticeably slower for nearly the same price as the M3 and eats gas pretty good. For the record she replaced a '16 Charger R/T R/T. The ScatPack does offer a sunroof, cooled seats and Apple CarPlay though. A TRX sounds like it would be good for you, if you don't mind the gas bill.

the Porsche I looked at was 150k$ it was the turbo S - electric. Out of my price range for a car

a close friend of mine has and raced an M3. The challenger is much more of an experience in terms of driver engagement (for me) and will get moderate mpg on those long drives I do. My daily commute is 95% highway. I roll off a mountain 10-12miles down to the interstate and it’s all podcasts, phone calls, and Carplay after that

the Challenger is cheap by comparison, warranty, and I never tire of the nostalgic appearance

so for me, it’s the ticket over euro cars. Although I’d consider a 993 if they weren’t stupidly priced

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We considered a ScatPack but it is noticeably slower for nearly the same price as the M3 and eats gas pretty good.
Love BMW’s... have owned a bunch over the years... but are you sure a new M3 is nearly the same price of a Scat Pack? Street price? I would be shocked if you can find one with less than a $10K difference between the two. Sure options and packages may differ... but even remotely apples to apples there’s no way.

derp

Reaction score
I can't argue on range - real world tests will be needed for that. However, if it drops 50% while towing - that is about spot on with interstate towing with the Ram. 12mpg * 23 Gallons = 276 miles. Obviously the 33 gallon tank is a different story. Recharging is the real difference maker and downfall. This should become quite improved in the next few years though. The Porsche supposedly can get an 80% charge in 5 minutes. Of course that is a 800v system, but it shows what can be possible.
Availability is tough but depends on what your used to. I order my Ram before my wifes Model 3 - and the Ram still took longer.
Aftermarket - there is a ton of aftermarket for the Tesla's - I would strongly argue a bigger market.
Service - Minus any physical issues, everything is fixed remotely, most of the time something may be wrong but you won't know it because they fix it overnight. They can also come to you which is cool, but for the most part there isn't any service. What is really cool here are the updates - we just got an update that made the car faster and extended the range.

I am really disappointed out how the CT looks. I would have strongly considered it if it looked halfway decent and fit in my garage. I can only hope Ram can eventually catch up with electronic tech. I love everything about the Ram but wish it had the power and feel of the M3. We have only had the M3 for a month and I dislike the Ram more and more every time I drive it now lol.

ordering a car can and usually will take a long time. I like that I was able to buy off the lot kitted exactly as I wanted.
Aftermarket for an established brand (ram) is going to beat a new brand launch. m3, mx, roadster have all been on market long enough to have aftermarket grow to fit.

I don't believe at all that an internal combustion engine is the path forward. *right now* a conventional fuel engine has an edge in the market that they are losing as each quarter passes. Petroleum propulsion is an extremely sophisticated and complex set of equipment to get on the road these days. I believe that we are on the down slope of petroleum innovation for fuel and that we are on the up-curve of electric/battery storage for mass consumption. 800V charging, 1kv charging whatever have you will help to bridge the perfomance gap in refueling so that it is convenient and economical to field recharge.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
the Challenger is cheap by comparison, warranty, and I never tire of the nostalgic appearance

so for me, it’s the ticket over euro cars. Although I’d consider a 993 if they weren’t stupidly priced

The look of the Scat Pak Chargers/Challengers will never get old. Absolutely love it, can't blame you at all there.

Love BMW’s... have owned a bunch over the years... but are you sure a new M3 is nearly the same price of a Scat Pack? Street price? I would be shocked if you can find one with less than a $10K difference between the two. Sure options and packages may differ... but even remotely apples to apples there’s no way.

Comparable Scat Packs where going for mid 40s. The LR Model 3 is 49 minus a 1850 rebate, so roughly 47k. It is a little more but when your consider the gas savings, the M3 came in cheaper. That is also person dependent too.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe at all that an internal combustion engine is the path forward. *right now* a conventional fuel engine has an edge in the market that they are losing as each quarter passes. Petroleum propulsion is an extremely sophisticated and complex set of equipment to get on the road these days. I believe that we are on the down slope of petroleum innovation for fuel and that we are on the up-curve of electric/battery storage for mass consumption. 800V charging, 1kv charging whatever have you will help to bridge the perfomance gap in refueling so that it is convenient and economical to field recharge.

Agreed, but it’s another decade out probably before it really begins to become common place. No reason at this point to rush into the very first one.

Plus the electric f150 is going to CRUSH everyone assuming they don’t dork it up.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
You can buy a used hellcat for less than a used M3. Several year old m3 at that.

Used ones still sell for more than new for some stupid reason lol. The M3P or Stealth will walk a normal hellcat in most scenarios though.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I’m all for electric vehicles and the potential seems wide open

the only thing keeping from a scat pack wide body is finding a set of tires that will last more than 12k miles and not run $2K - There are things I’m just not willing to pay for and over priced tires is one of them

I dont go to the track, likely won’t go over 85mph, and I don’t do American Graffiti light up the tires at stop signs schtick

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The look of the Scat Pak Chargers/Challengers will never get old. Absolutely love it, can't blame you at all there.

Comparable Scat Packs where going for mid 40s. The LR Model 3 is 49 minus a 1850 rebate, so roughly 47k. It is a little more but when your consider the gas savings, the M3 came in cheaper. That is also person dependent too.
I’m sorry... you were talking about Tesla Model 3’s and not BMW M3’s. My mistake.

976-HIKE

Reaction score
Agreed, but it’s another decade out probably before it really begins to become common place. No reason at this point to rush into the very first one.

Plus the electric f150 is going to CRUSH everyone assuming they don’t dork it up.

what could go wrong?

99-ford-mustang-mach-e-2020-fd-hero-front.jpg

NDanecker

Reaction score
Came to this thread about TRX price discussion and........I see Tesla, Ford, BMW and other discussions. Never seen a thread trainwreck so bad.

clazer

Reaction score
Came to this thread about TRX price discussion and........I see Tesla, Ford, BMW and other discussions. Never seen a thread trainwreck so bad.

Lol. It’s more like it was over on 12/7 then it just sorta kept on trucking.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score

The discussion is fluid and evolving - thank you for sharing your feelings and your condemnation is always valued - very festive and a great example of illustrating the spirit of the season. So there’s that going for you. We always enjoy celebrating on your terms

Warm wishes and Happy Holidays to you too

NDanecker

Reaction score
The discussion is fluid and evolving - thank you for sharing your feelings and your condemnation is always valued - very festive and a great example of illustrating the spirit of the season. So there’s that going for you. We always enjoy celebrating on your terms

Warm wishes and Happy Holidays to you too

Happy to bring festive cheer to you and yours! :)

Users who are viewing this thread