5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks Built After 4/13/2021 Getting Only One Keyfob

KCViper

Reaction score
I hope people do get an IOU for a second fob!! When I ordered my truck with night package the package comes with nice fixed running boards. I opted for the $995 auto running boards. Anyone think i got a credit (or any consideration at all) for the OEM running boards that I already paid for in the night package.....nope! OEM night package running boards ordered aftermarket would be $400(+) Is what it is, but not great business IMO......

CMENT

Reaction score
Bet they give you a second non-electronic key for a spare.

ETA: you should not be able to lock the fob in the truck...but I've never tried as mine stays in my pocket.

Yes you can. If the truck is running and the doors are locked from the inside and the fob is inside the cab, you can not open the door.

Left my fob inside with truck running and the dog hit the lock bottom on armrest. Had to call the wife to bring me a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Bet they give you a second non-electronic key for a spare.

ETA: you should not be able to lock the fob in the truck...but I've never tried as mine stays in my pocket.
I don't know if there's such a thing as non chipped key. I know not in the GM's for sure. I lost a set a keys scooping snow in my driveway. I had a 2015 LTZ 2500. Went and got my spare set. The fob wouldn't work, so I thought no big deal, I'll just use the key. The key opened the door, went into the ignition and would roll it to start, but at that point all the lights would start flashing, and the horn would start honking. No way to shut off. Went on for like 3-5 minutes. Also the truck never cranked obviously. And that's how I found out that keys are chipped also, and my spare key never got programmed for the truck.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes you can. If the truck is running and the doors are locked from the inside and the fob is inside the cab, you can not open the door.

Left my fob inside with truck running and the dog hit the lock bottom on armrest. Had to call the wife to bring me a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My dogs always roll the windows down...

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if there's such a thing as non chipped key. I know not in the GM's for sure. I lost a set a keys scooping snow in my driveway. I had a 2015 LTZ 2500. Went and got my spare set. The fob wouldn't work, so I thought no big deal, I'll just use the key. The key opened the door, went into the ignition and would roll it to start, but at that point all the lights would start flashing, and the horn would start honking. No way to shut off. Went on for like 3-5 minutes. Also the truck never cranked obviously. And that's how I found out that keys are chipped also, and my spare key never got programmed for the truck.

I was thinking a spare non-chipped key to open the door only.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I was thinking a spare non-chipped key to open the door only.
And maybe they can or will. I wasn't calling out your theory. I'm just not sure there currently is such a thing. And in my particular case, my good set of keys was in a snow bank off the side of my driveway, not locked inside my truck. So a door key just to get in the truck wouldn't of done me any good.

Rick J

Reaction score
And maybe they can or will. I wasn't calling out your theory. I'm just not sure there currently is such a thing. And in my particular case, my good set of keys was in a snow bank off the side of my driveway, not locked inside my truck. So a door key just to get in the truck wouldn't of done me any good.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your response but there is a key for the doors in the key fob. They could give a second key for emergencies but I doubt they will.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your response but there is a key for the doors in the key fob. They could give a second key for emergencies but I doubt they will.
I'm saying a couple different things. Sure a key for the doors if your one and only fob was locked in the truck would be great. But what if your one and only fob was lost somewhere? In my case with a gm vehicle, my spare key got me in my truck and rolled the ignition over, but would not crank, and set of a theft alarm. And this is because the key itself is chipped, or you might say the key itself is a chip. And my spare key was not programmed to the truck. But once again I don't have any idea if a ram key is the same. I didn't know the GM key was like that until it happened. Far as I'm concerned they could go back to push locks, and china can shove the chips up their a$$. They could put 2021 suspension under an 1982 ram d150 with an AM radio, and I'd be perfectly happy. I do enjoy the bells and whistles, so don't get me wrong, but having to have my gm towed to a dealer because the key wasn't programmed just aint right. Yes they can't program a key without the truck. Oh yeah it was $600 also.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when you trade your current DT Ram for a newer model, "lose" one of your trade-in's fobs, then have it programmed to your new Ram.

Steve
Can't. Once it's programmed to a vehicle, it won't work on another.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even on my 2008 Big Horn, If I open the Door with the Physical Key, The
Alarm will go off. Even the one that has the FOB built in. The Physical Key
will also start the Truck, but when you put it into gear, The Truck shuts down
if it can't find a working FOB. I suspect the DTs work the same. When I travel,
I take both Fobs with me.

Malodave

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So...how hard it would it be to "hotwire" a truck to have a starter switch that doesn't need a chipped key? Obviously, it's simple mechanically: the issue is the security override/delete.

Sure, I'd hide a fuel pump cutoff switch somewhere to prevent it being stolen, but imagine how nice it'd be to flip a switch to start this thing instead of forgetting about the fob in the console or whatnot.

Nova90

Reaction score
My build sheet that just got created lists "Key Fob - Satin Chrome". I guess we take that to be literal since it doesn't say "Key Fobs". I'd like to know if anyone has recently took possession of a custom build and if 1 or 2 fobs were included.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read that only 1 fob was going to be provided with a new truck with a voucher for another one (free). I can only assume that's the fob and programming it.

Again, that's only what I've read and heard. I have not read any actual report if that's true or not so it's only speculation at this point as far as I know.

traveller09

Reaction score
I ordered on 4/29, I I then read about the one key fob topic. I emailed Phillip on 5/3 and he and Aydin both came back right away and told me this is BS and my truck would come with two key fobs. I hope they are right.

Users who are viewing this thread