5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck wont stay "asleep"

satcomtim

Reaction score
21 1500 Limited with 52k miles.

For the past week my truck wont stay "asleep". When its powered off about every 3 minutes the display lights up with "Press Brake and Press button to start" and you hear a slight power on pop of the audio. Then about 30 seconds later truck goes to sleep and then this process repeats itself. I have left the keyfob in the house and can stand by truck and watch this process happen over and over. Same things happens just sitting in the truck.

No codes with my MX+ code reader, not leaving in plugged in. No Pedal commander/Tazer/etc, OBDII port has nothing plugged in when I am not checking for code.

Any ideas?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

For the past week my truck wont stay "asleep". When its powered off about every 3 minutes the display lights up with "Press Brake and Press button to start" and you hear a slight power on pop of the audio. Then about 30 seconds later truck goes to sleep and then this process repeats itself. I have left the keyfob in the house and can stand by truck and watch this process happen over and over. Same things happens just sitting in the truck.

No codes with my MX+ code reader, not leaving in plugged in. No Pedal commander/Tazer/etc, OBDII port has nothing plugged in when I am not checking for code.

Any ideas?

Key fob too close to the truck?

Get one of the rfid/Faraday boxes for your keys. Drop 'em in and see if that fixes it.

satcomtim

Reaction score
Key fob too close to the truck?

Get one of the rfid/Faraday boxes for your keys. Drop 'em in and see if that fixes it.
Thanks, but I don't think it's fob related, I can leave fob on my desk and work and walk out to truck (~10 mins away) and watch it cycling on and off.

Reactions: c3k

satcomtim

Reaction score
you have a draw, something in the vehicle is waking up causing that message.
Any idea on how I would find it? I have nothing plug in to any ports and nothing has been added to truck.

Some backstory; 2 months ago it was in the shop for 4 weeks for a taillight that would not turn off. They replaced a wiring harness in the left rear. This cycling just started last week though. I go sit in my truck for while at work and it just started doing this last week.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea on how I would find it? I have nothing plug in to any ports and nothing has been added to truck.

Some backstory; 2 months ago it was in the shop for 4 weeks for a taillight that would not turn off. They replaced a wiring harness in the left rear. This cycling just started last week though. I go sit in my truck for while at work and it just started doing this last week.
the basic way is with a multi meter. open the doors and hood but lock the locks and hood latches and let the car go to sleep. when the issue happens, you need to measure the voltage across each fuse, all should read 0. the one that reads some voltage is where your issue is. You have to find out what that fuse controls, then disconnect that part and see if the issue stops. Dealer has better ways of finding it but if you do it yourself, this is the basic way.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This happend to me on sunday august 21st.
By thursday battery was dead.
Was able to jump started and drop it off at the dealer on satutday. I am suppose to hear back from them today.
I explain this to the guy that was checking me in but i honestly didn't see him write this in the report so lets see what they say. They might just replace the battery as that seems to be a common issue and solution

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the basic way is with a multi meter. open the doors and hood but lock the locks and hood latches and let the car go to sleep. when the issue happens, you need to measure the voltage across each fuse, all should read 0. the one that reads some voltage is where your issue is. You have to find out what that fuse controls, then disconnect that part and see if the issue stops. Dealer has better ways of finding it but if you do it yourself, this is the basic way.

This.

Another technique (similar) is to close the doors and use a multimeter to measure the current from the - terminal. (Disconnect - cable, put multimeter between - battery terminal and - cable. All current goes through multimeter, so don't start the truck (or put any heavy load (high beams) on it), unless you want to fry your multimeter.)

An at-rest vehicle should draw ~100-300 milliAmps. (Lower is better.)

When you see a higher current, start pulling fuses/relays until it drops to a normal at-rest/asleep load.

A better and less-intrusive method is here: DIY Voltage Drop Across Fuses - Quiescent Current or Parasitic Discharge Tests - W220 S-Class Encyclopedia

Basically, measure the voltage across the two sides of each fuse. That voltage difference, and referring to the chart, will give you the current flowing through that fuse.

Here's one such chart: https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/wp-content/technical-pdf/Mini Fuse Voltage Drop Chart.pdf
(That same site has charts for all other common fuse types.)

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Any ideas?
There is a module that is not going to sleep, and keeps waking up all the other modules. If this is not intermittent, and it’s definitely cycling repeatedly (usually on for 1 minute, off for 30 seconds), the easiest way to find the offending module is to start unplugging modules off the bus blocks one by one until it stops happening (unplug one, see if it stops, if not plug it back in and move to the next one). There are a few of these canbus junction blocks (some with all green connectors and some with all white connectors). Start with the ones that are near the OBD port. Once you find the offending connector, post the colors of the two wires on that connector.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

satcomtim

Reaction score
Thanks all, I'll start going through it this weekend. I did stop by batteriesplus and looks as if it's maybe not the battery. Measured 75% on voltage (makes sense as it sat all day cycling and drive was short over there) and CCAs measured were 754, sticker on battery says rated for 730.

satcomtim

Reaction score
This happend to me on sunday august 21st.
By thursday battery was dead.
Was able to jump started and drop it off at the dealer on satutday. I am suppose to hear back from them today.
I explain this to the guy that was checking me in but i honestly didn't see him write this in the report so lets see what they say. They might just replace the battery as that seems to be a common issue and solution
Curious what you find out and if it was more than the battery. Thanks

satcomtim

Reaction score
I tested this today. removed phone and parked way away from everything and it continued. So in my case anyway I dont think its bluetooth/rf related.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't think it's fob related, I can leave fob on my desk and work and walk out to truck (~10 mins away) and watch it cycling on and off.
how far away is the fob?
do you have remote start
they transmit up top 300 feet

satcomtim

Reaction score
how far away is the fob?
do you have remote start
they transmit up top 300 feet

I sure hope I can walk more than 300' in 10 mins :) Google maps says office to where I park is ~1/4 mile.

bucolic

Reaction score
This thread here had a similar issue.

Just an update, I just picked up my truck this morning and the instrument gauge goes off after 5 minutes or so. They had to replace my radio frequency hub under warranty just in case someone else has this problem in the future.

satcomtim

Reaction score
So I left the battery disconnected overnight to see if that would change anything, it did not. Same issue, but I have a new symptom now. Go to setting on 12" display, click on icon (say lights), and settings are all missing. Is there a module that loads the settings? Not sure if its related to my issue or being unplugged all night.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I left the battery disconnected overnight to see if that would change anything, it did not. Same issue, but I have a new symptom now. Go to setting on 12" display, click on icon (say lights), and settings are all missing. Is there a module that loads the settings? Not sure if its related to my issue or being unplugged all night.
It can take several hours and/or engine cycles for the system to fully restore itself after a power loss. If you don't have all the settings available after 24 hours, then you have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread