5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck wont start - is it my battery sensor or the battery itself?

kimbolll

Reaction score
So, I have an odd issue with my 2020 Ram 1500. About two weeks ago, I jumped in my truck to head out and it wouldn't start. Finally realized my battery was dead, went to go charge it and noticed the wire that connects my battery sensor was cut clean in half (see photo). Disconnected the battery and charged it up (my charger is only 8 amps, so this is the only way it charges and it takes forever), hooked it all back up and the car started right up. Had some lights on the dash that went away, likely due to the battery being disconnected. I've been monitoring the battery's voltage in the dash, and it holds about 14v when running, so the alternator is good. However, if the truck is off, it doesn't hold a charge for more than 24 hours. I work from home, and don't drive everyday, so I've had to make it a point to autostart the truck in the morning so the battery charges up in case I need to head out later on.

The battery is original, so it's pushing four years old at this point. It could be the battery, but I find it strange that it happened all at once. If the battery was truly degraded, I feel like this would have been more intermittent. That's what leads me to believe it's the battery sensor being cut. I tried doing some research to understand what it does, but I couldn't find much on it. I vaguely came across something that said a bad battery sensor could result in the battery not retaining a charge while the truck is off, but that's about all the information I have on the battery sensor. To make matters worse, I tried splicing the wires back together, but one of the two wires came apart, and I'm going to need another wire to extend it as it's too short for me connect it again now. I'm not an electrician of any kind, but it's a tiny wire so I figured I'd head to Lowes and get a replacement. I found a doorbell wire that looked to be the same gauge, but it was locked away, and when I had someone come to open it, he said "oh you can't use that, it's low voltage". That didn't make sense to me, as from my understanding the wire is simply sending a signal to the computer, it's not actually sending meaningful amounts of power throughout the vehicle, but this was all above me, so I just left it at that, and came here for more information.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas what's going on here? Does it sound like I need a new battery or could the battery sensor being cut cause this? I'd like to try reconnecting the battery sensor before going out and spending $250 on a new battery, if possible, but without knowing what type of wire to use, I can't really test it at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 57

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So, I have an odd issue with my 2020 Ram 1500. About two weeks ago, I jumped in my truck to head out and it wouldn't start. Finally realized my battery was dead, went to go charge it and noticed the wire that connects my battery sensor was cut clean in half (see photo). Disconnected the battery and charged it up (my charger is only 8 amps, so this is the only way it charges and it takes forever), hooked it all back up and the car started right up. Had some lights on the dash that went away, likely due to the battery being disconnected. I've been monitoring the battery's voltage in the dash, and it holds about 14v when running, so the alternator is good. However, if the truck is off, it doesn't hold a charge for more than 24 hours. I work from home, and don't drive everyday, so I've had to make it a point to autostart the truck in the morning so the battery charges up in case I need to head out later on.

The battery is original, so it's pushing four years old at this point. It could be the battery, but I find it strange that it happened all at once. If the battery was truly degraded, I feel like this would have been more intermittent. That's what leads me to believe it's the battery sensor being cut. I tried doing some research to understand what it does, but I couldn't find much on it. I vaguely came across something that said a bad battery sensor could result in the battery not retaining a charge while the truck is off, but that's about all the information I have on the battery sensor. To make matters worse, I tried splicing the wires back together, but one of the two wires came apart, and I'm going to need another wire to extend it as it's too short for me connect it again now. I'm not an electrician of any kind, but it's a tiny wire so I figured I'd head to Lowes and get a replacement. I found a doorbell wire that looked to be the same gauge, but it was locked away, and when I had someone come to open it, he said "oh you can't use that, it's low voltage". That didn't make sense to me, as from my understanding the wire is simply sending a signal to the computer, it's not actually sending meaningful amounts of power throughout the vehicle, but this was all above me, so I just left it at that, and came here for more information.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas what's going on here? Does it sound like I need a new battery or could the battery sensor being cut cause this? I'd like to try reconnecting the battery sensor before going out and spending $250 on a new battery, if possible, but without knowing what type of wire to use, I can't really test it at the moment.

1 minute mark

kimbolll

Reaction score
From a brief skim through, it sounds like the OEM batteries have a tendency to fail fairly quickly...that said, I'm still not convinced it's the battery itself. Lots of people in that thread complained about slow cranks, but I never got that. Just one day it worked fine, and the next it didn't. I'll have to try rewiring this battery sensor - any idea if a low voltage doorbell wire is sufficient, or would I need something more "heavy duty"?

6of36

Reaction score
From a brief skim through, it sounds like the OEM batteries have a tendency to fail fairly quickly...that said, I'm still not convinced it's the battery itself. Lots of people in that thread complained about slow cranks, but I never got that. Just one day it worked fine, and the next it didn't. I'll have to try rewiring this battery sensor - any idea if a low voltage doorbell wire is sufficient, or would I need something more "heavy duty"?
Door bell wire is solid core, you want stranded for automotive. It's not about voltage, it's about movement. The only other issue, and I have no clue if it applies, is some instances could use resister wire, or fuse-able link wire. If so, that should be printed on the wire.

jakesh

Reaction score
Same happened to me today: 2021 Ram 1500 with 70K miles. It doesn't start. AAA came put on a new battery still didn't start. Waiting for the tow truck.

HunterRam1

Reaction score
2020 Ram bighorn 5.7 with 78,000 miles. Similar thing happened to me. Was starting fine and then my wife drove to the gas station to fill it up. Never started and never even cranked. Only would click when you would try to start the engine.

Battery voltage was reading 11.8 and so I put a trickle charger on it and got it up to 13.9 but still just a click when trying to start. Bought the extended warranty and having it towed to the dealership because I’m stranded at a gas station. Otherwise I would just swap out a new battery to see if that would do the trick but then I’m waiting another three hours for a tow.

Mechanicusben

Reaction score
2020 Ram bighorn 5.7 with 78,000 miles. Similar thing happened to me. Was starting fine and then my wife drove to the gas station to fill it up. Never started and never even cranked. Only would click when you would try to start the engine.

Battery voltage was reading 11.8 and so I put a trickle charger on it and got it up to 13.9 but still just a click when trying to start. Bought the extended warranty and having it towed to the dealership because I’m stranded at a gas station. Otherwise I would just swap out a new battery to see if that would do the trick but then I’m waiting another three hours for a tow.
My 2020 is doing the same thing with a new battery did you figure out what the issue was? worked great then didnt drive for 3 days and then it would not do anything. Tried up starting with a jump pack and other trucks, new battery didnt fix it either.

6of36

Reaction score
My 2020 is doing the same thing with a new battery did you figure out what the issue was? worked great then didnt drive for 3 days and then it would not do anything. Tried up starting with a jump pack and other trucks, new battery didnt fix it either.
You may have a bad starter.

Users who are viewing this thread