5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won't start; is it a battery problem or something else?

chizburger

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to driving a Ram 1500. I recently bought a CPO 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn crew cab 4x4, 5.7L hemi eTorque last month. At 3 weeks of ownership it suddenly won't start one morning, battery was dead, no lights exterior or interior, no crank sound, I had to use manual key to get in and I did try starting it with key fob pressing the start/stop button but nothing happened so I called FCA roadside assistance and they did jump started it. I was able to drive the truck and brought it to the nearest RAM dealership. Dealership told me that they did perform battery/charging system test and the battery is in good condition that it was not the issue. They said that the cause of the problem was block, fuse/relay; inspected vehicle for codes and found low voltage codes, also used multimeter to test fuses and around that battery, found a fuse array to have high resistance, removed and found it was burnt up and causing not good contact so they replaced the fuse. After getting the truck from the dealership it was back to normal conditions up until this past Sunday, I was going to run some errands but the truck won't start and everything was dead again. Called roadside assistance, jump started it and truck went on but check engine lights were present, service electronic stability control, service trailer brake system and key fob has left the vehicle even I had it with me. I let the truck run couple of minutes and drove it as well then check engine lights disappeared. I did my research; read and saw some videos that it was normal that check engine lights will appear after jump staring a truck but will eventually disappeared after the system has reset. However, the next day (Monday) I still decided to take my truck to the Ram dealership where I bought the car and have them look why it keeps happening, what is wrong with the truck if it's a battery, alternator or something else. They message me today and said it was ready to be pick up. It passed the draw test and they cannot find the main cause why the truck's battery was dead.

I need help, I am not so confident with the resolutions they had given me. I am afraid that it will happen again and I will be needing to keep jump starting the battery every time it happens. I missed two days of work already and do not have any luxury to do more in an unforeseen circumstances. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Kygene63

Reaction score
Exact same happened to me 3 weeks ago. Took the battery to Napa. Battery said to charge and retest. Battery tested ok after charge. I also had the low voltage error code. I replaced the battery anyway since it was just over 36 months old and I haven’t had a problem since.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to driving a Ram 1500. I recently bought a CPO 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn crew cab 4x4, 5.7L hemi eTorque last month. At 3 weeks of ownership it suddenly won't start one morning, battery was dead, no lights exterior or interior, no crank sound, I had to use manual key to get in and I did try starting it with key fob pressing the start/stop button but nothing happened so I called FCA roadside assistance and they did jump started it. I was able to drive the truck and brought it to the nearest RAM dealership. Dealership told me that they did perform battery/charging system test and the battery is in good condition that it was not the issue. They said that the cause of the problem was block, fuse/relay; inspected vehicle for codes and found low voltage codes, also used multimeter to test fuses and around that battery, found a fuse array to have high resistance, removed and found it was burnt up and causing not good contact so they replaced the fuse. After getting the truck from the dealership it was back to normal conditions up until this past Sunday, I was going to run some errands but the truck won't start and everything was dead again. Called roadside assistance, jump started it and truck went on but check engine lights were present, service electronic stability control, service trailer brake system and key fob has left the vehicle even I had it with me. I let the truck run couple of minutes and drove it as well then check engine lights disappeared. I did my research; read and saw some videos that it was normal that check engine lights will appear after jump staring a truck but will eventually disappeared after the system has reset. However, the next day (Monday) I still decided to take my truck to the Ram dealership where I bought the car and have them look why it keeps happening, what is wrong with the truck if it's a battery, alternator or something else. They message me today and said it was ready to be pick up. It passed the draw test and they cannot find the main cause why the truck's battery was dead.

I need help, I am not so confident with the resolutions they had given me. I am afraid that it will happen again and I will be needing to keep jump starting the battery every time it happens. I missed two days of work already and do not have any luxury to do more in an unforeseen circumstances. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Just a heads up, OEM batteries only seem to last 3 years, so I would start with that and go from there. Also upgrade with a H8 AGM. I use Walmart Everstart AGM w/ 4 year replacement. Walmart is almost everywhere when traveling.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a heads up, OEM batteries only seem to last 3 years
I am willing to bet most batteries last 5-6 years vs the 3 years. Yes many fail in that 3 year window. I see many 2019/2020 trucks/vehicles still rocking the oem battery today. I have the pleasure of testing every battery that pulls in my stall. I don't use a carbon pile load tester. I use my picoscope battery test and attach results to every repair order. It's not a perfect test but it definitely gives the customer a report of how the starting/charging system is working.

chizburger

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and very helpful insights about my situation. I will definitely replace the battery even dealership said it is still in good condition. Also, thank you for suggesting battery brand/s because I don’t know which one to get.

chizburger

Reaction score
I have no experience changing batteries and no tools too. Can I go to a local auto shop or do I have to go to a dealership for this? I don’t want my Mopar Max care warranty to be voided if I do it on my own.

c_rc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

May 28, 2024 My 2019 Ram Rebel w/5.7 hemi is do the same thing. My mechanic tells me replacing the starter will fix this. Yet after read hundreds of posts on Ram Forums...I'm not convinced. So today I checked the battery which is New, with a volt meter and it read 12.2 volts. So I removed both terminals and charged the battery for 2 hours (the battery now read 13.2 volts). I remove the heat shield from the starter, disconnected the power wire clip, sanded both sides of the clip, cleaned out as best I could the power clip, applied dielectric grease to the spade, used pliers to crimp the clip and reinstalled. Then I tried what one post had recommended, I made up a wire 3 feet in length with an Alligator clip on each end. I attached one end to the flat spade where the power wire attaches and the other end touched the positive terminal of the battery. It took 30 seconds, but the starter, started to move, I had my assistant push to start button and it fired up. I let it run for 5-10 minutes and shut it off, then restarted and it did. Tried off and on for 3 attempts and each time worked. I reinstalled the heat shield and hope for the best.
Note: Every-time the truck will not start on it's own, it will always start by using jumper cables attached to another vehicle. So I plan to buy one of those small Lithium Booster battery jumpers to carry with me just in case. I'll keep you updated

c_rc

Reaction score
So I wanted to post what worked for me. I got this idea from another forum and it worked. So I wanted to pass on; Check the little wire with the clip on the end that attaches to to solenoid, it's probably corroded. That wire reads the volts and tells the PCM if it has the volts to start. Run a wire with an alligator clip on each end. Attach one end on the flat spade the clip attaches to and the other end hold on the positive side of battery. If the starter, starts have your helper press and hold the start button until the engine starts. Mine did! So I removed the clip, used sand paper to sand the flat spade, used CRC solvent and a small flat screwdriver to clean the clip. Used needle nose pliers the squeeze the clip, applied di-electric grease to the spade, reattached and my problem is solved! Note: I do have to hold the start button down until I hear the engine start where i could of sworn before I just pushed the button, but it works.

c_rc

Reaction score
So I wanted to post what worked for me. I got this idea from another forum and it worked. So I wanted to pass on; Check the little wire with the clip on the end that attaches to to solenoid, it's probably corroded. That wire reads the volts and tells the PCM if it has the volts to start. Run a wire with an alligator clip on each end. Attach one end on the flat spade the clip attaches to and the other end hold on the positive side of battery. If the starter, starts have your helper press and hold the start button until the engine starts. Mine did! So I removed the clip, used sand paper to sand the flat spade, used CRC solvent and a small flat screwdriver to clean the clip. Used needle nose pliers the squeeze the clip, applied di-electric grease to the spade, reattached and my problem is solved! Note: I do have to hold the start button down until I hear the engine start where i could of sworn before I just pushed the button, but it works.
Problem is back, my fix was temporary

Users who are viewing this thread