5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won’t start.. RFHUB

Usher795

Reaction score
I am fairly new here.. about a month and a half ago my truck wouldn’t start. Neither key worked for it. Wouldn’t unlock or do anything. Towed it to the dealer and they ordered a new RFhub for it as well as some keys. The dealer has had the truck for 40 days as of today and the arrival for the key is another week. My question is, can the old keys be programmed to the new hub? Getting kind of irritated with how long it’s taking but they are saying there are only 3 keys in the United States and unfortunately my dealer does not to loaner cars and I’ve spent nearly $3k on a rental so far..

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am fairly new here.. about a month and a half ago my truck wouldn’t start. Neither key worked for it. Wouldn’t unlock or do anything. Towed it to the dealer and they ordered a new RFhub for it as well as some keys. The dealer has had the truck for 40 days as of today and the arrival for the key is another week. My question is, can the old keys be programmed to the new hub? Getting kind of irritated with how long it’s taking but they are saying there are only 3 keys in the United States and unfortunately my dealer does not to loaner cars and I’ve spent nearly $3k on a rental so far..
Key fobs can only be programmed once.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Original keys should work with the new RFH. Read the attachment carefully and you will see keys can be programed to original vin multiple times.

Attachments

• RFH.pdf
    74.3 KB · Views: 20

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Contact @RamCares about reimbursement for payments made while it has been at dealership.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And FWIW, I bought a new aftermarket key off eBay, had it in three days, and was able to get it programmed no problems

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Original keys should work with the new RFH. Read the attachment carefully and you will see keys can be programed to original vin multiple times.
Interesting, that's a twist that I've never heard of. So you can't take a fob and program it to another vehicle. But you CAN reprogram a fob back to the same vehicle, even if it has a new RF Hub.

That goes against some of the things I've heard about the new RF Hub lockout that is (supposedly) coming soon to Rams. Thanks for sharing that info.

Usher795

Reaction score
Contact @RamCares about reimbursement for payments made while it has been at dealership.
I have been in contact with them and I believe they are going to help me out with the reimbursement on the rental. Thank you for the recommendation.

Usher795

Reaction score
Where can I find this document? That’s very interesting to know, especially because the dealer doesn’t.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
$3k+ on a rental is nuts... I'd demand the dealer shuttle vehicle take me to/from work, grocery store, etc LOL

Usher795

Reaction score
Update- day 44. Dealer said keys should be in today. Spoke to another dealer and they also said that the old keys cannot be reprogrammed to the vehicle after the RFhub has been replaced. They used to be able to but they can no longer do it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update- day 44. Dealer said keys should be in today. Spoke to another dealer and they also said that the old keys cannot be reprogrammed to the vehicle after the RFhub has been replaced. They used to be able to but they can no longer do it.
Well, that would explain the difference between the document above and everything else I've seen/heard.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is very odd, I have personally changed RFH on these trucks and programed original keys

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is very odd, I have personally changed RFH on these trucks and programed original keys
Do you know what the most recent model year is that you've successfully done this with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online