5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck with eTorque won't start (does the 48V battery actually charge the 12V?)

TCP

Reaction score
My truck (2019) won't start except with a jump from another vehicle.
All the articles I've read says that the 48V battery is supposed to charge the 12V battery to prevent this, but I can't find that on Ram's website

I'm wondering:
Did they scrap the battery charging feature?
If they didn't, did both of my batteries go bad at the same time?
If they aren't bad, do I have an electrical drain?

Does anyone have experience with these issues?

My truck is at 39k miles, so if there's an issue with the eTorque system, I would think it would be covered by the Powertrain warranty, but if it's something else, then I'm on the hook unless Ram decides that a 2 year old truck dying is unacceptable.

RamCares, what are your thoughts?

TCP

Reaction score
I've read that Ram has said there was a bad batch of batteries that were dying prematurely. Does anyone know how I can tell if my battery was in that batch?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read that Ram has said there was a bad batch of batteries that were dying prematurely. Does anyone know how I can tell if my battery was in that batch?
I would look into the build date. That's probably the other way...other than having a dealer take a look.

TCP

Reaction score
I would look into the build date. That's probably the other way...other than having a dealer take a look.
Does anyone know what the build dates are for the bad battery batch?

TCP

Reaction score
Actually, I guess it could just be the 12V battery and everything else could still be working, and I would still be experiencing what I'm experiencing. I will take the 12V battery out and get it tested tomorrow.

But if anyone has any advice or answers to any of my questions, I would still appreciate it. Thanks!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the build dates are for the bad battery batch?
Not sure, I would try a search on the forum...I'm sure that this problem has been posted before and that someone has the build dates.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Most likely the 12V battery powers up all the computers and relays, including the one that lets power in and out of the 48V battery. I don't own an eTorque and I haven't studied them much, but that's how Priuses work. If the 12V is dead, everything is dead. Even if it's not.

TCP

Reaction score
It was odd, because the infotainment system and all the lights worked perfectly.

I will report back tomorrow when I get the battery tested and possibly replaced.

TCP

Reaction score
I checked for a parasitic load with a multimeter. When I first connected it, it read 40mA, but then quickly went down to 19mA, then settled at 9mA. I jumped the truck then went to an auto parts store. Their code reader showed a P1DF3 code. They performed a battery load test, which the battery failed, so I replaced it.

When I got home I searched for P1DF3. I found a Service Bulletin 21-011-20 that says that the TCM needs to be flashed.
(Service Bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173368-9999.pdf)

I called up the nearest two dealerships, and they are saying their technicians have to diagnose the vehicle, and it will be at least three days, even with an appointment.

Ram Cares, is three days to perform a 4 minute flash (according to the bulletin), reasonable? Those dealerships said they would not provide a loaner car even though my truck still has its powertrain warranty.

The Service Bulletin says it's in the "21 - Transmission and Transfer Case" Group, that means it's covered by the Powertrain Warranty right?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I checked for a parasitic load with a multimeter. When I first connected it, it read 40mA, but then quickly went down to 19mA, then settled at 9mA. I jumped the truck then went to an auto parts store. Their code reader showed a P1DF3 code. They performed a battery load test, which the battery failed, so I replaced it.

When I got home I searched for P1DF3. I found a Service Bulletin 21-011-20 that says that the TCM needs to be flashed.

I called up the nearest two dealerships, and they are saying their technicians have to diagnose the vehicle, and it will be at least three days, even with an appointment.

Ram Cares, is three days to perform a 4 minute flash (according to the bulletin), reasonable? Those dealerships said they would not provide a loaner car even though my truck still has its powertrain warranty.

The Service Bulletin says it's in the "21 - Transmission and Transfer Case" Group, that means it's covered by the Powertrain Warranty right?
Hi there @TCP, we certainly are sorry to hear about the concerns with your vehicle and we understand how this has become an inconvenience to address with your dealer! Please feel free to send us a private message for additional support prior to your dealer visit. We would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further assistance with this service.

Kathryn
RamCares

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's a good question...typically most electrical components (TCM) are not covered just under the power train warranty, but rather the 3/30k mile warranty...or under an extended warranty. I would check Mopar/FCA warranty page to see if they can provide you with more clarification. If it was the actual transfer case....then it's definitely covered under PT warranty.

TCP

Reaction score
It appears at this time everything is okay with the truck. The Check Engine light cleared on it's own a few days ago, and the truck is still starting normally.

Users who are viewing this thread