5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck with 8 miles on it has sporadic clicking (5-6 clicks) right after engine turns over. Thoughts?

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Just purchased the vehicle today. Had it special ordered to my specs. Foolishly did not test drive. After the dealership closed is when I went to turn the engine on. Maybe a few seconds after you press the start button, under the hood makes a click.....click click.............click....click. Runs smoothly. I put 40 miles on it since. Turned it on maybe 8 times. Every time the same click.

bonebro

Reaction score
It could very well be those. It sounds like something running a pre ride check.

RBRK

Reaction score
Normal,charchteristic of this tuck. They all do it. I think it’s the transfer case actuating, like you said self check. Don’t worry be happy with your truck. Mine does it always has. They have had a few updates to change when it does it , but you still hear it. I just had min updated Thursday and one of the updates was an improve the clicking after starting. Not sure if I noticed it to be the same since. I will have to see.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Well Mine don't click. A noise of something activating or engaging I hear it but not all the time. If you start/stop in sequence you hear it on first start but not on second. Which would add credence to a past forum member stated it may be the automatic park brake disengaging or engaging. Sounded good to me. Do you hear a similar noise when you turn the truck off? I do.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
welcome. not sure I ever heard the clicking I'll have to go listen to mine.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):
https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Well Mine don't click. A noise of something activating or engaging I hear it but not all the time. If you start/stop in sequence you hear it on first start but not on second. Which would add credence to a past forum member stated it may be the automatic park brake disengaging or engaging. Sounded good to me. Do you hear a similar noise when you turn the truck off? I do.
I do not have eTorque so the truck stays on. If I have the window down and turn the truck on, I hear the sequence of *clicking* a few seconds after EVERY time I turn it on. I have not listened for it when turning the truck off, but I will today.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
welcome. not sure I ever heard the clicking I'll have to go listen to mine.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):
https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf
It does not work for someone who banks with PNC, or uses StateFarm insurance. It asks for affiliation in order to receive rebate and none of the individuals in my household have Allstate or any other affiliation that honors the rebate.

silver billet

Reaction score
Mine does it too, it's not a "hemi tick" which is a constant ticking in rhythmn with the rest of the engine. The ticking you here (if it's what I'm hearing) is something different, like some sort of electronic relay activing or deactivating, think it's completely normal. Mine has done it since the day I picked it up with < 40 miles on it.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
It does not work for someone who banks with PNC, or uses StateFarm insurance. It asks for affiliation in order to receive rebate and none of the individuals in my household have Allstate or any other affiliation that honors the rebate.

Tons of companies, member organizations, etc participate in bonus drive. AAA for example is a sponsor. Do you use them? I wish they just had a master list somewhere of who participates, I’ll try to find one. If you go to their site you can search by just typing in 3 letters, “aaa” and see all companies that contain that for example. I agree it shouldn’t be this difficult.

Bakefootball

Reaction score
Just purchased the vehicle today. Had it special ordered to my specs. Foolishly did not test drive. After the dealership closed is when I went to turn the engine on. Maybe a few seconds after you press the start button, under the hood makes a click.....click click.............click....click. Runs smoothly. I put 40 miles on it since. Turned it on maybe 8 times. Every time the same click.

Mine does it too. Been to the dealer multiple times , changed out several parts only to be told now that’s its “normal”. I know enough about engines to know that any metal tapping in the internal motor is not a good thing. Do a google search for “Hemi Tick” and watch some videos. Apparently its a known issue with the Hemi motor. Wish I would have know that before I bought mine! My advice, keep a close eye on it and take it to your service department. Hell, there’s even a Facebook page about it called “Dodge 5.7 Hemi’s Ticking”.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, several clicks (like electrical relays) with mine at every startup.

Also heard the hemi tick when brand new. Haven’t heard it lately and I do listen.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another source of clicking I just learned about eliminating is to start the truck with just enough pressure on the brake pedal for it to start. If I press it firmly, there are loud clicks after starting which is surmised to be the parking pawl in the transmission. All I can say is that if you lightly press the brake to start, there are no clicks. Some genius figured this out when they noticed that it didn't click when using remote start.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Another source of clicking I just learned about eliminating is to start the truck with just enough pressure on the brake pedal for it to start. If I press it firmly, there are loud clicks after starting which is surmised to be the parking pawl in the transmission. All I can say is that if you lightly press the brake to start, there are no clicks. Some genius figured this out when they noticed that it didn't click when using remote start.
I does not click when you remote start, but once you go to drive the vehicle and have to press the START/STOP once more, it does click.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I does not click when you remote start, but once you go to drive the vehicle and have to press the START/STOP once more, it does click.

Hmm. I've not heard the loud clicking on mine when I push the button after a remote start. There could be other clicking going on (relays, etc.) but this trick has eliminated the loud (to me) mechanical clicking I was experiencing.

M

Mdegen93

It’s the lifters. Once oil gets to them it goes away. All Hemi engines do this

Rayzram

Reaction score
Mine does it every time I start it, always has. It is a series of self checks I presume.

Users who are viewing this thread