5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck virgin | How do I make her loud?

MySQ4toHemiV8

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here, and to the pickup world!

I just got a 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn Hemi V8. I love the truck but I don't love how quiet she is. Since it's a lease, I'm not even sure if I can make any mods (or even where to go to get them done) but I'm hoping y'all could help with that.

Looking for inexpensive, minimally invasive and a decent roar (solid percolation when idle would also be nice but realize that may be asking too much lol). Any and all guidance would be warmly welcomed 😊

- Dee

sppb32

Reaction score
Your best bet is not cheap, the Borla S Type is what you're looking for, don't have to cut anything, keep the stock exhaust so you can put it back after the lease has ended and since the Borla is made out of good SS you can get some of your money back by selling it at the end of the lease.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

joemo

Reaction score
You could do a vararam intake as well. Just save the original and you can put it back at the end. It won't make the exhaust loud but it has a very very nice growl when you step on exhaust. I just put mine on a few days ago and am beyond happy with the purchase.

MySQ4toHemiV8

Reaction score
Thanks all ~ here's a silly question...where do I take the truck to have the work done, once the part arrives? Performance shop? Autobody shop? Local garage?

What type of investment am I looking at (appx), since this isn't something I'm able to do myself?

Powerbandjohnny

Reaction score
Any local muffler shop could put a cat back system on. Taking old exhaust off from cat back and putting Borla on took me approximately 1 hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z28oc91

Reaction score
If its a lease your best bet would be to replace the whole exhaust and replace when you turn in the lease (assuming you dont buy it). I was looking into flowmaster outlaw but it requires you to cut off your existing exhaust so that may not be a good option for you.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If its a lease your best bet would be to replace the whole exhaust and replace when you turn in the lease (assuming you dont buy it). I was looking into flowmaster outlaw but it requires you to cut off your existing exhaust so that may not be a good option for you.
With all of the great exhaust systems out there, Flowmaster would be at the very bottom of my list.

MySQ4toHemiV8

Reaction score
Good to know ~ thank you. I don't plan on buying it.

MySQ4toHemiV8

Reaction score
With all of the great exhaust systems out there, Flowmaster would be at the very bottom of my list.
I appreciate your help ~ would you know if there are any others that like the Flowmaster, don't require cutting? Thank you

NYKBOB

Reaction score
You can do a cat-back exhaust replacement yourself, or with a buddy in about and hour. If you do not have access to a lift you will have to cut a portion of the original pipe to get the clearance to remove it. I just completed installing a Borla S-type on my RAM. Good sound, good quality, and perfect fit.
Sound is actually louder than the video shows.

Powerbandjohnny

Reaction score
Stock exhaust will come out without having to cut anything if you do it while truck on Jack stands. All you have to do is lower spare tire and remove heat shield on driver side that protects spAre tire. I did borla cat back system in about 1 hour without having to cut anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MySQ4toHemiV8

Reaction score
You can do a cat-back exhaust replacement yourself, or with a buddy in about and hour. If you do not have access to a lift you will have to cut a portion of the original pipe to get the clearance to remove it. I just completed installing a Borla S-type on my RAM. Good sound, good quality, and perfect fit.
Sound is actually louder than the video shows.
Awesome video ~ y'all have me pumped. I did some research on performance shops in my area (as my girlfriends rather be a passenger than get their hands dirty lol) and I'm an apartment dweller, so unfortunately no garage here. The Borla is a bit more than I wanted to spend (since it's a lease) but it sounds damn good.

MySQ4toHemiV8

Reaction score
Quick update ~ I found a highly respected shop in the area, met with the owner and decided to go with the Borla S.

All in, cost $1300 ($1100 for exhaust + 1.5hr labor).

He said I can likely put it up for sale at the end of my lease and should recoup appx half.

Before I drop off the deposit tomorrow, does anyone have any insight/experience on making mods to a lease?

Irrespective of putting all parts back to stock upon maturity, should I run the mod by the dealership prior? The truck will have to go in for routine service at some point so there's no 'hiding' it.

Is this considered a major no-no (as I'm clearly in breach of the lease agreement) or am I being a typical woman, overthinking things lol? ;)👊

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been modding leased vehicles for 20 years... never had an issue i didnt have with a financed vehicle. If a dealer wants to break your shoes over something doesn't matter if its leased or financed. I simply part out in advance of lease return and generally you recoup 1/2 of what u put out in parts. Enjoy it dont let here say dictate what you do. Hell ive done exhausts, tunes, headers, downpipes, suspension, stereo, bbk's, wheels u name it... just bring it back the way you bought it and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread