5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck stays outdoors, what's would you suggest for maintenance?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Theres no need to wax a modern day base/clear coat paint. Other than to shine it up. Go ask any auto painter worth his salt.
And there’s no need to wash it either... If you want dull paint, do nothing.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is what Consumers Report says on the subject:
Thanks to today's clear-coat finishes, our testing shows that even the best wax will probably not improve the shine on a new car. Regular washing is still the most important step to protecting your car's finish. But a coat of wax can add a layer of protection against tree sap, bird droppings, and other contaminants—at least for a while. Most products we tested showed a significant loss of protection within about five weeks.

So now we trust Consumer Reports unless they are talking about RAM dependability :)

A really good ceramic coating and/or wax sealant will protect the paint finish and add desirable qualities (water beading/shedding, resiliency, etc). Many products have gloss enhancers which absolutely improve the shine of the paint. On the marketing side, yep there is a lot of bogus stuff out there and many in the industry use the same blenders which have base products and the manufacturers add a scent, change a color to make it their own. I have a friend in the detail business and he is top notch - He can take a new car from the lot of I guarantee when he is done will make a noticeable improvement to the finish.

M

Mdegen93

The uv rays and envormental fallout damage and yellow clear coats. You most definitely need a good wax, sealant or ceramic coating. Even bird droppings are very acidic and leave etching on your clear coat that need to be buffed out

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Don't think anyone mentioned this but I'd get a good vehicle specific sunshade, keeps the dash looking brand new for many years. Just throw it in when you know its gonna sit for a while, or use it all the time because it really keeps the interior temps down.

M

Mdegen93

No it isn’t. Try it. Go ask a good paint guy. Marketing is a very powerful thing.
I’ve seen first hand what neglect does to paint. My fathers 2017 grand Cherokee with the same diamond crystal black looks dull next to my truck

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's easy to tell the vehicles that are neglected down here in Florida. Paint gone on hoods, roofs and deck lids. Plus mold growing on the sides...... I wax my truck about once a month and rinse it off just about daily. At least I dry the dew off so the sun doesn't burn it off.

Dietz5285

Reaction score
My 2010 Ram sat outside every day for 4 years, my 2014 sat outside every day for 4 years , neither were ever waxed and ran through an automatic car wash every couple of weeks and the paint still looked like new when I traded them in.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like to wax about three times a year and wash every other week. Worked well for me with even a ten your old truck looking brand new when I traded it in.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I need recommendation on an exterior cover for my crewcab with 6' 4" bed. I don't drive the truck that often and would like to keep it clean while sitting outside and under trees. Thanks

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
I know most will scoff it at .. but I love Nu Finish. Easy on, Easy off, good protection just don't get it on the plastic trim.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I know most will scoff it at .. but I love Nu Finish. Easy on, Easy off, good protection just don't get it on the plastic trim.
Actually, I have seen head to head tests online and NF is actually quite good and lasts a long time. A lot longer than even some newer "coatings".
I'll try to find the video and post it here.

Cheers,

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here you go.
Very thorough test comparison a boatload of different waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings.

Cheers,

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I have seen head to head tests online and NF is actually quite good and lasts a long time. A lot longer than even some newer "coatings".
I'll try to find the video and post it here.

Cheers,
Just don't use anything like that (waxes/polishes/sealants containing Naphtha, Kerosene, or dyes) if you have paint protective film (PPF), e.g. XPEL Ultimate. They are incompatible and can discolor or dull these films. (The NuFinish MDS shows "7-13 %" Naptha, so it's a no-go.)

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I need recommendation on an exterior cover for my crewcab with 6' 4" bed. I don't drive the truck that often and would like to keep it clean while sitting outside and under trees. Thanks
Anyone ?

Cmoar

Reaction score
I've honestly thought about it, because I'm in the same boat. Im worried about the cover floating in the wind and scratching the paint. Maybe if it was in my shop, but not outside. I'm currently working on convincing my wife she needs to let me build a car port.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I've honestly thought about it, because I'm in the same boat. Im worried about the cover floating in the wind and scratching the paint. Maybe if it was in my shop, but not outside. I'm currently working on convincing my wife she needs to let me build a car port.
And I'm working on convincing my wife to let me move all the kid toys outside of the garage. :D Have you check out Carcovers.com or Carcover.com ? I'm also looking at this one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076P75ZV9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A5LO1C6OJEIOT&psc=1

Cmoar

Reaction score
And I'm working on convincing my wife to let me move all the kid toys outside of the garage. :D Have you check out Carcovers.com or Carcover.com ? I'm also looking at this one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076P75ZV9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A5LO1C6OJEIOT&psc=1

Those are nicer than any I’ve looked at for sure. Even with the cotton liner, it would still make me nervous sitting on my black paint. If I still had my silver truck I’d be all over that one.

Maybe you could negotiate a shed for the kids toys on Black Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread