5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Shopping - Trailer Hitch question

rubrduk

Reaction score
FNG looking to buy a Ram 1500 in the near future (currently own a Silverado)

Like most, I'm primarily shopping online, and a majority of the online ads are incorrect

Question:
I see many trucks with a tow hitch receiver...but the trucks do not have the "towing package" listed, is this a class IV hitch that's separately included out of package, or is it just a bumper-pull receiver for bicycles and lawnmowers?

Purchase Goal:
Big Horn Crew Cab
4x4, 5.7 eTorque, limited-slip, 3.92, trailer brake controller, towing package
RV travel trailer 7100lbs

Last edited:

vinnieloo

Reaction score
According to the 2020 buyer guide, standard on the Big Horn is a class 3 bumper hitch. The class 4 receiver is part of the H1 and H2 packages, trailer tow group and max tow packages. Laramies have a standard class 4 receiver.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are looking at a Laramie, longhorn, limited, or Rebel they will come standard with the class IV reciever hitch.

If you are looking at a tradesman or bighorn/Lone star, then you need to pay attention. Standard is a class III which is just the bumper. You need to either select the hitch or get it as part of a package...either a level group or the tow group.

rubrduk

Reaction score
If you are looking at a Laramie, longhorn, limited, or Rebel they will come standard with the class IV reciever hitch.

If you are looking at a tradesman or bighorn/Lone star, then you need to pay attention. Standard is a class III which is just the bumper. You need to either select the hitch or get it as part of a package...either a level group or the tow group.

Thanks

that's the info that I'm looking for,...I'll make sure to get the entire tow package

rubrduk

Reaction score
Have you considered going to a 2500? How often do you tow the camper?

I have 70 mile per day commute across Los Angeles,...that's why I want the eTorque for the best reasonable fuel efficiency for what is my everyday truck

3/4 ton is overkill for a trailer that is 4500 dry / 7100 max loaded

Users who are viewing this thread