5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck originated in Canada, now I’m having issues logging VIN and using Guardian

midwestpilot

Reaction score
It was owned in Canada for a year, and then imported here. It’s a 2020. I somehow was able to register on Mopar but now it’s not showing up on my account. I tried to set up Guardian from the vehicle and I got the emails but no confirmation of subscription. Earlier today I was somehow able to access it on the web but the Uconnect app shows nothing with my same account. Anyone have any idea what to do here?

DesertMonkey

Reaction score
My dealer told me to steer clear of any Canadian sold truck. One was the warranty. Second was sometimes they don't offer certain types of the warranty coverage or if there is a recall. They said that they can't cover recalls it if it wasn't properly converted to US specs or the Vin was still reading from up north. Where I am, about 14 local 4th Gen Rams currently sit on the used truck dealerships. People buy them and take them to the dealer for service or recalls and the fun begins where the dealer won't honor the fixes. Hope ya got a deal on yours.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DesertMonkey

Reaction score
I've also confronted a local Chevy dealer about one of the trucks they had on the lot. It was a truck with 2000 idle hrs that came from a small town 10 hrs north of the US /Canada border. The sales clown said it was a local trade. However CARFAX said It came from Billings MT after it was converted from Canadian specs. Told the sales clown that and he swore that it was local. When I confronted the sales mgr, he said nope i was wrong.
I said well according to the CARFAX from their website and the VIN match on the truck / CARFAX, BOTH the sales mgr and the sales clown were educated how not to lie to a customer and told me to leave the premises.
There's a figure as I recall that you take the idle hours X 60 will give you the equivalent mileage. On a truck that was 3yrs old had 70k miles, then added the idle hrs, wasn't pretty. Too bad that nice truck had every available option but stickered as high as any US spec truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KaraKoç

Reaction score
So I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 that was imported from Canada and converted to US spec (speedometer shows in Miles). Dealer sold it to me saying it is covered under factory warranty for about a year and 36kmiles (I expect I will hit the date limit before the mileage). How should I go about checking with Ram to ensure the truck indeed covered under factory warranty in US?

KaraKoç

Reaction score
Just registered my truck at mopar.com, it shows warranty info and does say not covered or such and showed me the closest Ram dealers.

midwestpilot

Reaction score
You’ll have to call corporate and confirm. The only way it would be valid is if it was originally built as a rental vehicle. If it wasn’t it’s invalid. And still, if it is, there may be fixes that cannot be completed due to software mismatch. I asked the dealer if I could return my truck since they knew these issues, but they said no so I have a complaint in with the states attorney general before I move on to a lawyer. I’ll update what happens here. What state did you o it chase from?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was owned in Canada for a year, and then imported here. It’s a 2020. I somehow was able to register on Mopar but now it’s not showing up on my account. I tried to set up Guardian from the vehicle and I got the emails but no confirmation of subscription. Earlier today I was somehow able to access it on the web but the Uconnect app shows nothing with my same account. Anyone have any idea what to do here?
It sounds like what is known as a gray market vehicle. Typically the manufacturer will not honor the warranty thus the dealer will try to sell you on an aftermarket warranty that will cover gray market vehicles - but you have to read the aftermarket warranty terms/conditions closely. Typically the gray market vehicles are priced very well but this comes at a cost. We had a dealer where I grew up who was selling gray market vehicles (especially Chrysler Corp vehicles back before FCA came along) and they were from Canada. They had a disclaimer on the windshield informing the buyer they did not come with a factory warranty despite having less than 500 miles on them but that you could purchase an aftermarket warranty. Some folks felt the discounted price was worth the gamble whereas others of us decided not to purchase and went to the dealer for a non-gray market truck.

And yes, a car dealership can "import" a vehicle from Canada but that doesn't mean the factory warranty is still good. It can have a mile on it, import it from Canada and have zero warranty the moment it lands on U.S. soil.

The best way to find out is take it to a Ram dealer and ask them to look it up.

Last edited:

KaraKoç

Reaction score
Dealer disclosure said it is still covered under factory warranty. Do you think this is a lie?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer disclosure said it is still covered under factory warranty. Do you think this is a lie?
Did you purchase from a Ram dealer? If not, they most likely had had no idea or outright lied. Take it to a Ram dealer today, have them look it up and they will show you the remaining warranty. If the warranty is void because it is a gray market vehicle, then I’d go back to the selling dealer and insist they give you a warranty or take it back.

Last edited:

KaraKoç

Reaction score
Did you purchase from a Ram dealer? If not, they most likely had had no idea or outright lied. Take it to a Ram dealer today, have them look it up and they will show you the remaining warranty. If the warranty is void because it is a gray market vehicle, then I’d go back to the selling dealer and insist they give you a warranty or take it back.
Yeah I bought it from a Ram dealer. And today they confirmed the factory warranty is valid as it says on mopar.com. Reading the details above it talks about rental one being valid, yeah my truck was a rental in Canada.

midwestpilot

Reaction score
Yeah I bought it from a Ram dealer. And today they confirmed the factory warranty is valid as it says on mopar.com. Reading the details above it talks about rental one being valid, yeah my truck was a rental in Canada.
The issue is that while its valid, the VIN is still Canadian so there may be recalls made in canada that can’t be completed in the United States or vice versa. And any issues with software may be unfixable at US dealers. That’s what I’m running into.

KaraKoç

Reaction score
The issue is that while its valid, the VIN is still Canadian so there may be recalls made in canada that can’t be completed in the United States or vice versa. And any issues with software may be unfixable at US dealers. That’s what I’m running into.
I see. Not being able to complete recalls would be a big concern. Ram dealer that I bought the truck from did not provide any disclosures about not being able to complete recalls. Were you told about such issues upfront? I'd expect that, as mandated by the federal law, Ram must be able to complete the recalls within a reasonable amount of time. Of course there may be some fine print somewhere that let's them wiggle out of such cases. I think you may have a case for a complaint:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see. Not being able to complete recalls would be a big concern. Ram dealer that I bought the truck from did not provide any disclosures about not being able to complete recalls. Were you told about such issues upfront? I'd expect that, as mandated by the federal law, Ram must be able to complete the recalls within a reasonable amount of time. Of course there may be some fine print somewhere that let's them wiggle out of such cases. I think you may have a case for a complaint:
These "disclosures" the Ram dealer made...do you have these in writing or were they verbal? Have you read the fine print on your specific sales contract? I hope it is in writing as it's rare to find a Service Department who will back up what the lying, stealing, thieving, gonna go to Hell for acting the way they do salesmen and sales managers.

KaraKoç

Reaction score
These "disclosures" the Ram dealer made...do you have these in writing or were they verbal? Have you read the fine print on your specific sales contract? I hope it is in writing as it's rare to find a Service Department who will back up what the lying, stealing, thieving, gonna go to Hell for acting the way they do salesmen and sales managers.
Yes, I have it in writing. My reference to fine print was about the federal law regarding recalls. Just speculating there may be wiggle room there.

Users who are viewing this thread