5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck lowers after closing doore

tul9033

Reaction score
2019 Ram Limited
Every morning I open the passenger door and place my stuff in the passenger seat. As I walk around to the driver side I can see and hear the truck lowering the air bags. I have the truck height set to Aero.
Any ideas why it's doing this? I thought maybe it was an entry setting, but why lower after the door opens and closes? Just doesn't make sense to lower after entry. The ride height setting is never changed manually. I am using the handle to unlock (no fob). I haven't heard it pump the ride height up after getting out the evening before, yet it's lowering after morning entry.
Thanks for any insight.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anytime I place anything in my bed, my suspension readjusts. It’s probably nothing more than that. It’s compensating for additional weight added.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anytime I place anything in my bed, my suspension readjusts. It’s probably nothing more than that. It’s compensating for additional weight added.

I would tend to agree with the above. After sitting overnight it is most likely just adjustment in the shifting of weight after adding something or shutting the door making it tilt a little.

barr0208

Reaction score
its a good possibility that it did raise the truck overnight. I had a 2014 with air and during the morning while I was cutting the lawn I thought I heard the pump running . I shut off the lawn mower and sure enough the pump was airing up go figure. a few days later I went to start my truck and the system failed and showed service air bags the front end had dropped . this happen several times during my 2 year ownership including replacing the battery because of it. there is a good chance you will see more issues.

tul9033

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I have the same routine every morning. Open the passenger door lean in and place 16 oz of water and a small container of yogurt in the seat. As I'm walking around the truck to enter I can hear the suspension buzzing and see it lowering. Maybe it's actually leveling all 4 corners since the buzzing should be the compressor, but I am only observing the front right wheel lowering. I guess it's possible the air bags could leak some air overnight.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd definitely say that its the leaning in portion of your statement that sets it off. I literally threw a pack of Costco MicroFibre towels into my bed the other day which caused my suspension to readjust.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A good way to check is to eyeball or measure the amount of drop or lift it does when opening the doors/tailgate. I'll bet it is nowhere near what a manual drop/lift achieves because it is just the automatic height adjustment due to cold nitrogen in the system. When the truck "wakes up"from you getting the fob in range it realizes it is off from where the suspension should be so it raises/lowers slightly to achieve the correct ride height.
I put this activity in the "automatic adjustment" category which is different from "change ride height." Does the same when you drop an 80# bag of cement in the bed. Pumps spins up to raise the rear to the set ride height, not a new one.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 Ram Limited
Every morning I open the passenger door and place my stuff in the passenger seat. As I walk around to the driver side I can see and hear the truck lowering the air bags. I have the truck height set to Aero.
Any ideas why it's doing this? I thought maybe it was an entry setting, but why lower after the door opens and closes? Just doesn't make sense to lower after entry. The ride height setting is never changed manually. I am using the handle to unlock (no fob). I haven't heard it pump the ride height up after getting out the evening before, yet it's lowering after morning entry.
Thanks for any insight.

We certainly understand why this would be concerning, tul9033. If you are not able to determine a solution based on the suggestions provided here and you decide to follow up on this with your dealer, please know that our team is always a private message away and happy to provide you with additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Zinger

Reaction score
Mine does it all the time. Changes in temp change pressure. It's just adjusting because it just "woke up."

yellowboy

Reaction score
The manual states it levels itself for appearance but does it at strange times - I guess it depends on the size of the yogurt !

Users who are viewing this thread