5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

truck bed storage options

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It's great, from the research I did it's better than their previous models, a few cons though,

1. Can freeze in cold snow weather.
2. Can hear rattling on aluminum slides with the rear sliding window open on bumps.
3. Rear tracks could have been trimmed as they have sharp corners, I took a dremel to it.
4. The rear plastic clips can come off, this can be remedied by bending the tabs and applying a dab of super glue.

I did not want a folding cover and retractable was my second option, I don't use my bed often so this looks and functions best for me. Its a little expensive, but I figured I buy once and not twice wasting money getting something I regret.
Yeah I've been reading reviews and watching videos saying basically the same thing. I have a cheap roll up cover that works great but I'm liking the low profile covers the more I see them. The X4S is the one I'd get as soon as I can justify the cost lol

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Yeah I've been reading reviews and watching videos saying basically the same thing. I have a cheap roll up cover that works great but I'm liking the low profile covers the more I see them. The X4S is the one I'd get as soon as I can justify the cost lol
Valentines day is coming, it's time for the guy to get gifts now.... my wife looked at me like I'm crazy!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just run a Bedcover (BAK MX4), a cheap ratcheting bar, and a large plastic tote to toss anything I don't use regularly, but want to keep in the truck. I also have several bungee cords on the tiedowns closest to the tailgate, so I can hook things quickly for a short trip.

Julio13

Reaction score
1a56a14896b4a2c31353ee075cbb83bb.jpg

Last Boks really happy with it
8da255a192e7c254861ffd1b331c88bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Decked system. Best setup I've ever used.
thumbnail_50EF59B5-E933-4307-9386-095C662B5FD7.jpg

Left side is reserved for camp kitchen. I fit a Coleman 2 burner stove, a griddle, cast iron, silverware set, utensil set, dry food like pasta and canned soup, a fat stack of plates and bowls, rolls of trash bags, and the Decked tool box is packed with seasonings.
IMG_1964.jpg
Right side is reserved for tools of various kind. I have the Dewalt DWMT73802 142 piece tool kit in there, a full 1/2" drive socket set, pouch of extra 10mm sockets, pouch of extra 3/8" sockets in both SAE and Metric, pouch of wrenches in both SAE and Metric, 4 way air down/ up hose kit, fire starter, propane bottle, torch head, propane hose, packs of zipties, tire plug kit, ARB Snatch Strap, pair of ratchet straps

thumbnail_IMG_3484.jpg
In the corner "ammo cans" I have more recovery stuff like soft shackles, bow shackles, shackle hitch receiver, and another 2 pairs of ratcheting straps.

For range days I take out the recovery items in the right side and I can fit my long guns, fully setup plate carrier, fully kitted battle belt with rooms to spare.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1a56a14896b4a2c31353ee075cbb83bb.jpg

Last Boks really happy with it
8da255a192e7c254861ffd1b331c88bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks similar to the Husky stackable tote, just one big ones instead of two side by side. I like my Husky tires because I can easily pull them out and carry them in the house. When we go to Sam's Club this makes it easier to unload.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
View attachment 152604

Left side is reserved for camp kitchen. I fit a Coleman 2 burner stove, a griddle, cast iron, silverware set, utensil set, dry food like pasta and canned soup, a fat stack of plates and bowls, rolls of trash bags, and the Decked tool box is packed with seasonings.
View attachment 152603
Right side is reserved for tools of various kind. I have the Dewalt DWMT73802 142 piece tool kit in there, a full 1/2" drive socket set, pouch of extra 10mm sockets, pouch of extra 3/8" sockets in both SAE and Metric, pouch of wrenches in both SAE and Metric, 4 way air down/ up hose kit, fire starter, propane bottle, torch head, propane hose, packs of zipties, tire plug kit, ARB Snatch Strap, pair of ratchet straps

View attachment 152605
In the corner "ammo cans" I have more recovery stuff like soft shackles, bow shackles, shackle hitch receiver, and another 2 pairs of ratcheting straps.

For range days I take out the recovery items in the right side and I can fit my long guns, fully setup plate carrier, fully kitted battle belt with rooms to spare.
My buddy used to be the Eastern sales rep for Decked. I loved the idea, but they didn't make them for Tacomas at the time, and felt there was alot of wasted space in the design.
I bought a welder and taught myself to weld on youtube.
I built drawers that were long enough to fit my skis(the Decked drawers don't go the entire bed length). I was very happy with the setup.

I plan to build the same for my ram, but need to get a cap first.
20181019_212916.jpg 20181019_211536.jpg

Attachments

• 20181019_211511.jpg
    20181019_211511.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 29

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy used to be the Eastern sales rep for Decked. I loved the idea, but they didn't make them for Tacomas at the time, and felt there was alot of wasted space in the design.
I bought a welder and taught myself to weld on youtube.
I built drawers that were long enough to fit my skis(the Decked drawers don't go the entire bed length). I was very happy with the setup.

I plan to build the same for my ram, but need to get a cap first.
View attachment 152768 View attachment 152767
looking good!
I'd do my own fabricating if I had the time and space. Last time I built a drawer system was with 2x4s and it was sturdy, but took me 2 weeks.
I needed to finish the truck by the end of year (bed rack, storage, electrical, and lift) and I got my truck in November.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Cargo bar with plastic box and lid. I also keep a garden hoe in the back to retrieve any items.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
looking good!
I'd do my own fabricating if I had the time and space. Last time I built a drawer system was with 2x4s and it was sturdy, but took me 2 weeks.
I needed to finish the truck by the end of year (bed rack, storage, electrical, and lift) and I got my truck in November.
This project took a bit over a month as it was the first thing I had ever welded. So I did lots of rewelds and grinding, plus trying to figure out what I was doing.
Took awhile, but was a fun learning project. I could have built it much faster and easier with wood, but wood is thicker and heavier.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This project took a bit over a month as it was the first thing I had ever welded. So I did lots of rewelds and grinding, plus trying to figure out what I was doing.
Took awhile, but was a fun learning project. I could have built it much faster and easier with wood, but wood is thicker and heavier.
for build projects i find it a lot easier if I draw the build plan first with measurements. I toyed around with free CAD software to have a better understanding of how things would look. I need to pick up welding for reals since we have a designated welder at the shop and he makes it look so easy.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 152604

View attachment 152603

View attachment 152605

By the way, have you seen this propane tank mount?

48423C14-F3F0-4549-BD95-1B64EDA30654.jpeg

tabber02

Reaction score
i'm a decked drawer system guy, with the ram boxes. helps me stay organized, a lot of my tackle is stored in the drawers (kayak fishermen) makes rigging at the side of the lake or boat ramp a heck of a lot more efficient.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i'm a decked drawer system guy, with the ram boxes. helps me stay organized, a lot of my tackle is stored in the drawers (kayak fishermen) makes rigging at the side of the lake or boat ramp a heck of a lot more efficient.
I’m getting ready for fishing season myself.
Off topic question. I know enough to get me in trouble with fishing. I had a big bass break some mono line last year, so I switched All reals and rigs to braided line. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread