5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck bed bracket?

beta379

Reaction score
What is this bracket in the corner of my bed? I've only seen it on a couple trucks and no one seems to know what the hell it is or why my truck has it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 189

Barnyard

Reaction score
I assume you have the split tailgate? It's supposedly added bracing since the tailgate puts additional stress on the bed sides

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

U

User_21361

As stated above, it's for added support with the split tailgate. I saw a few at a local dealer yesterday.

beta379

Reaction score
I assume you have the split tailgate? It's supposedly added bracing since the tailgate puts additional stress on the bed sides

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I didn't even make that connection! I thought the bracing they are was internal. So to retrofit the back gate people just have to add that brace?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Damn bracket is in the way of my new addition to the truck! Not sure what I'll do now.

it's in the way of ALMOST ANYTHING you want to do with the truck bed.

Bed divider - doesn't fit - but I cut the rails down to MAKE IT FIT.

Covers - very few will fit. Gator Hybrid Tri-Fold will fit - because the clamps miss the bracket. Pretty much any other one, will have rails or clamps that the bracket interferes with.

And, according to a post from another member:
Screenshot_20190718-124500.jpg

Removing them could VOID THE WARRANTY if you have issues with the bed down the road.

I left mine on - but will likely remove them down the road - you could just as easily put them back on (after taking off accessories that interfere with them) and deny they were ever taken off.

this is part of the "early adopter blues" - rumor has it, some of the cover manufacturers are talking 1Q/2Q for '20 - to have versions that will work.

In my case, I'm a shortie (5'5") so the convenience of getting right into the bed without having to reach over 2' of tailgate was important.

Honestly - between the accessories issue, and the fact that it isn't as weatherproof as the non MFT version - if I knew then, what I know now: I might have SKIPPED this $995 option. $$ may have been better spent elsewhere.

IMG_4903.jpg
Cut down divider bracket - Gator Tri-Fold Mount Clamp with MFT Bracket...

YMMV.

Best of luck...

Rick

Mandtz

Reaction score
I just had some low profile brackets custom made of 3/8” steel that I installed this weekend in preparation for a tonneau cover

Attachments

• 4406D7CC-A710-4927-870E-9582F1AAE950.jpeg
    4406D7CC-A710-4927-870E-9582F1AAE950.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 26524D33-12FF-4470-9D3C-4E93EE829640.jpeg
    26524D33-12FF-4470-9D3C-4E93EE829640.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 9359AC5C-A966-48E1-BAF4-4905667647C9.jpeg
    9359AC5C-A966-48E1-BAF4-4905667647C9.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 144

beta379

Reaction score
it's in the way of ALMOST ANYTHING you want to do with the truck bed.

Bed divider - doesn't fit - but I cut the rails down to MAKE IT FIT.

Covers - very few will fit. Gator Hybrid Tri-Fold will fit - because the clamps miss the bracket. Pretty much any other one, will have rails or clamps that the bracket interferes with.

And, according to a post from another member:
View attachment 38799

Removing them could VOID THE WARRANTY if you have issues with the bed down the road.

I left mine on - but will likely remove them down the road - you could just as easily put them back on (after taking off accessories that interfere with them) and deny they were ever taken off.

this is part of the "early adopter blues" - rumor has it, some of the cover manufacturers are talking 1Q/2Q for '20 - to have versions that will work.

In my case, I'm a shortie (5'5") so the convenience of getting right into the bed without having to reach over 2' of tailgate was important.

Honestly - between the accessories issue, and the fact that it isn't as weatherproof as the non MFT version - if I knew then, what I know now: I might have SKIPPED this $995 option. $$ may have been better spent elsewhere.

View attachment 38800
Cut down divider bracket - Gator Tri-Fold Mount Clamp with MFT Bracket...

YMMV.

Best of luck...

Rick
Interesting that was my issue as well! I was try to get the cargo management system to slide underneath with no luck ! I ended up removing the brackets and putting it back after it just rested on top of the rail. I tightened the corner bracket first then the side rails and it worked fine until my second issue. Did you have slop in your cargo management? My threaded bolts protrude from the channel by a little bit not allowing it to fully tighten to the channel.

I got the tri-fold soft cover with my all black package and it works perfectly. I was actually going to replace it with a aftermarket version but it is working better then expected.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I just had some low profile brackets custom made of 3/8” steel that I installed this weekend in preparation for a tonneau cover

Hmmm. Which cover are you going with? Many of them, have rails that clamp flush right to the lip on the bed cap - so even those brackets may interfere with the cover mounting system.

I'm "kinda happy" with the Gator - but I REALLY WANTED the Extang Encore or the Bakflip Fibremax. Leaning towards the Extang Encore - which, like the other, has rails that clamp to the side lip of the bed.

So I'll probably end up ditching the brackets altogether.

Please let up know WHICH COVER you are choosing, and whether it clears the brackets.

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Interesting that was my issue as well! I was try to get the cargo management system to slide underneath with no luck ! I ended up removing the brackets and putting it back after it just rested on top of the rail. I tightened the corner bracket first then the side rails and it worked fine until my second issue. Did you have slop in your cargo management? My threaded bolts protrude from the channel by a little bit not allowing it to fully tighten to the channel.

I got the tri-fold soft cover with my all black package and it works perfectly. I was actually going to replace it with a aftermarket version but it is working better then expected.

The Mopar Divider - has threaded inserts that slide into the (existing) rails. The divider rails than bolt INTO the inserts. I didn't see any way for the rail to fit UNDER the corner brackets AND bolt them in correctly. Then again, I didn't spend a whole lot of time TRYING - because I removed the corner brackets and found the hold down clamps cover I got (Gator Hybrid) wouldn't work properly with the divider rail.

So I chopped the divider rail down. I still get the divider in the positions I would want it in - and I don't have to deal with the corner brackets or the top being interfered with.

Now - whatever cover I end up getting, will likely require the divider rails to come OUT to properly install - but they "should" go back on, after the mounts for (whatever) cover I get down the road are installed.

I'm almost interested in a poll, seeing how many people just ditched the brackets ENTIRELY - but I wouldn't want to see people "out themselves" and get denied warranty satisfaction - I we all start having issues with the bed down the road and they blame it on the brackets being removed.

Just look at all the RAMBOX PEOPLE that are having problems with the covers/doors warping (so glad I didn't get those - only because I really don't need them - and I thought they made the bed look ugly)

Rick

beta379

Reaction score
The Mopar Divider - has threaded inserts that slide into the (existing) rails. The divider rails than bolt INTO the inserts. I didn't see any way for the rail to fit UNDER the corner brackets AND bolt them in correctly. Then again, I didn't spend a whole lot of time TRYING - because I removed the corner brackets and found the hold down clamps cover I got (Gator Hybrid) wouldn't work properly with the divider rail.

So I chopped the divider rail down. I still get the divider in the positions I would want it in - and I don't have to deal with the corner brackets or the top being interfered with.

Now - whatever cover I end up getting, will likely require the divider rails to come OUT to properly install - but they "should" go back on, after the mounts for (whatever) cover I get down the road are installed.

I'm almost interested in a poll, seeing how many people just ditched the brackets ENTIRELY - but I wouldn't want to see people "out themselves" and get denied warranty satisfaction - I we all start having issues with the bed down the road and they blame it on the brackets being removed.

Just look at all the RAMBOX PEOPLE that are having problems with the covers/doors warping (so glad I didn't get those - only because I really don't need them - and I thought they made the bed look ugly)

Rick
When I installed the cargo management I just put it in loose and tightened the corner bracket first then tightened the cargo system second. If anyone has issue with it, easiest solution would be to modify the rails themselves and just drill an extra hole for the threaded blocks about 1/2" higher. Shouldn't be an issue with clearance either. I may end up doing this to mine as well but we shall see. I contacted Roll-N-Lock who manufactures the Mopar cargo management and they are sending me new threaded blocks since they weren't right. I may have to find a shop to mill them down a little.

I am really surprised they didn't have a better solution then these massive brackets.

I was pretty close to getting the Rambox as well, but decided I didn't really need dedicated storage like that. After looking around the dealership and so many warped, it really made my choice that much easier. Of course, this was way before knowing there was a legit issue. I was going to suggest looking at the Lomax, but after checking I don't think it would work with our brackets either.

Mandtz

Reaction score
I was thinking of the Retrax Pro MX. There's a local dealer and when I told him what I was planning, he seemed to think they should work. Going to stop by today or tomorrow.

Mandtz

Reaction score
They said there is a bit of space on either side of the cannister and after viewing the install video on the Retrax website, it looks like it should work.

beta379

Reaction score
They said there is a bit of space on either side of the cannister and after viewing the install video on the Retrax website, it looks like it should work.
If you did you bracket substitution it should work. It may be snug around the bolts but I agree with the installation guy. My father has the same unit and it's really nice. I like the option to stop it at any point instead of preset locations. Since he he a local installer and if it doesn't work should be easy to return or maybe let him install it.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I'm going to bandwagon on reviving this old thread. Has anyone used these brackets successfully with a BAK Revolver X4s?

Users who are viewing this thread