5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip Computer on my 12" Uconnect Nav system

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
a short update. After a long painful process I will not get into today I finally talked to someone knowledgeable at U-connect. We could actually communicate, he understood what I was saying, Iwas able to send him emails with pictures of my screen as I posted above. He confirmed that all the information he has available at the moment says the Trip computer should work and he said he would get to work figuring out what the problem might be. The first bit of optimism I have gotten from anyone at the dealer or ram on this.
Did he say that everyone with the 12 inch should have it?

howie12

Reaction score
I got a return call from the U-connect fellow and the news is not good. He said the initial 12" systems had the trip computer and it had some problems. He claimed they tried to fix it with no luck and decided to abandon the trip computer for the 12" display. We had a long discussion and he was a good guy but it was out of his hands. I fail to understand how it still works on the 8" system, it worked on my 8" system in my 2014 and they cannot make it work in this system. Anyhow he says engineering reviews the customer cases that they deal with and something could happen in the future but no plans as far as he knows. He was not able or willing to give me any info how to somehow raise the issue up the chain.

I am open to any suggestions regarding how to cause FCA to get interested in fixing this. I would also like to hear from anyone knowledgeable that can explain how this should be such a hard thing to fix when it works in the 8" system and has since at least 2014. Seems illogical to pay for the 'best' system and lose functionality compared to the 'standard/ system.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a return call from the U-connect fellow and the news is not good. He said the initial 12" systems had the trip computer and it had some problems. He claimed they tried to fix it with no luck and decided to abandon the trip computer for the 12" display. We had a long discussion and he was a good guy but it was out of his hands. I fail to understand how it still works on the 8" system, it worked on my 8" system in my 2014 and they cannot make it work in this system. Anyhow he says engineering reviews the customer cases that they deal with and something could happen in the future but no plans as far as he knows. He was not able or willing to give me any info how to somehow raise the issue up the chain.

I am open to any suggestions regarding how to cause FCA to get interested in fixing this. I would also like to hear from anyone knowledgeable that can explain how this should be such a hard thing to fix when it works in the 8" system and has since at least 2014. Seems illogical to pay for the 'best' system and lose functionality compared to the 'standard/ system.
Ahhh. Makes sense now with regard to my vehicle. My 12 inch was replaced in May of 2019 so the updated unit must not have the trip computer feature. I thought I recalled seeing it at some point when I first got my truck in September 2018. Obviously, my original unit had the capability. It’s so ridiculous that they can’t sort something out that is so basic. I recall seeing posts where people complained it was inaccurate so I guess their answer was do away with it instead of fixing it. Keep us posted with any updated info.

Last edited:

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Not that it matters to anyone but I checked today and my 2019, 8.4"Nav does have the trip computer, go figure.

ammdrew

Reaction score
Mine use to have it.. would fail on long road trips and start reading way off at about the 12-13 hour of travel mark. use to have high speed avg speed total time total dist and mileage.. It is not rocket science for code just basic math so pretty poor they could not fix the bug, and really BS they just eliminate the option.. Guess if our AC is ****ty they will just remove the compressor and call it good next time I am at service..

Oh and one of the software updates removed it, mid summer if I remember correctly.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine use to have it.. would fail on long road trips and start reading way off at about the 12-13 hour of travel mark. use to have high speed avg speed total time total dist and mileage.. It is not rocket science for code just basic math so pretty poor they could not fix the bug, and really BS they just eliminate the option.. Guess if our AC is ****ty they will just remove the compressor and call it good next time I am at service..

Oh and one of the software updates removed it, mid summer if I remember correctly.
Unreal.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score

If one of the software updates removed it last summer then apparently my system is not getting any updates. I check on uConnect website and it states my VIN is fully up to date. Not sure if I believe that or not.

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Checked mine today after reading this thread. I do not have a trip computer either. Just three windows under the map after hitting the information button.

You'd think the 12" would get all the premium features.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Checked mine today after reading this thread. I do not have a trip computer either. Just three windows under the map after hitting the information button.

You'd think the 12" would get all the premium features.

So in reading this it looks like they removed this feature in the updates due to it working improperly...so has nothing to do with premium features.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If one of the software updates removed it last summer then apparently my system is not getting any updates. I check on uConnect website and it states my VIN is fully up to date. Not sure if I believe that or not.
The uconnect site is full of crap, it always says its up to date.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It's not the hardware or the year or the truck, but the UConnect software version you have installed.
I used to have it (although never used it).

Just checked this morning to confirm, and it's gone after the last software update.
Good riddance. It had always been way, way off compared to the cluster trip computer, which is what I use instead.

1588255084937.png

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve heard it was way off because it was reading the mileage while being delivered by train and semi while the odometer wasn’t moving .

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve heard it was way off because it was reading the mileage while being delivered by train and semi while the odometer wasn’t moving .
I did the math and still didn't add up. Mine was off by around 600 miles when I bought my truck, which is nowhere near the mileage from Michigan to Texas. We'll prob never know.

shredwardc

Reaction score
Reviving this thread because I just realized my 2021 with the 12" screen does not have a trip computer. And, after reading this thread to find out they just "removed" it from previous model years?! what the hell is this crap? You'd think with the extra money spent on the 12" uconnect system it would have functional trip information to go along with the navigation system/routes.... Disappointed at the least as I used that feature on my 2014 ram all the time, but somehow the most "techy" truck and touchscreen on the current market can't figure it out?

Hopefully they can come out with an update that will add it back! Anyone heard anything in that regard?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reviving this thread because I just realized my 2021 with the 12" screen does not have a trip computer. And, after reading this thread to find out they just "removed" it from previous model years?! what the hell is this crap? You'd think with the extra money spent on the 12" uconnect system it would have functional trip information to go along with the navigation system/routes.... Disappointed at the least as I used that feature on my 2014 ram all the time, but somehow the most "techy" truck and touchscreen on the current market can't figure it out?

Hopefully they can come out with an update that will add it back! Anyone heard anything in that regard?
I haven’t heard anything about that . Not trying to be an a@# but I just use one of the trip meters in the dash .

Users who are viewing this thread