5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel trailer towing with a half ton

Jck1994

Reaction score
The wife and I are currently looking into purchasing a travel trailer for a cross country road trip in the fall. We’ve found one we like but I’m worried my truck won’t be enough to get the job done and would like the opinion of those who have towed something similar. I’m no stranger to towing and have towed similar numbers before, just not in a travel trailer.

Truck
21 ram 1500 4x4
Payload 1950
Towing 10000
3.91 dif

Trailer
Weight 6500
Tongue weight 750-820 ( I’ve seen various numbers)
33.5 ft long

On paper it looks as if it could work 1950-850tw-450passengers-300gear= 350 remaining pounds of payload. Is this a fair number or should I look at something smaller?

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If that trailer weight is the loaded weight it looks ok. I've seen people estimate 10-15% of trailer weight for tongue weight. Don't forget 100 pounds or so for the weight distribution hitch in your payload numbers plus anything else you have in the truck. I know you said 300 pounds of gear, but if you put an extra hitch in the truck, add heavier tires, ANYTHING that technically counts toward reducing your payload.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I are currently looking into purchasing a travel trailer for a cross country road trip in the fall. We’ve found one we like but I’m worried my truck won’t be enough to get the job done and would like the opinion of those who have towed something similar. I’m no stranger to towing and have towed similar numbers before, just not in a travel trailer.

Truck
21 ram 1500 4x4
Payload 1950
Towing 10000
3.91 dif

Trailer
Weight 6500
33.5 ft long

On paper it looks as if it could work 1950-850tw-450passengers-300gear= 350 remaining pounds of payload. Is this a fair number or should I look at something smaller?
I really would appreciate seeing your door sticker payload if you do have 1950 lbs. You would hold the record in our payload thread.

Jck1994

Reaction score
Based on the specs from the manufacturer a quad cab hemi 4x4 should get about 1940 payload

Camelot

Reaction score
Check your door sticker, that depends on what trim / equipment you have added. My guess is that you are closer to 1,700, but check the sticker, it will tell you for your vehicle

Jck1994

Reaction score
Check your door sticker, that depends on what trim / equipment you have added. My guess is that you are closer to 1,700, but check the sticker, it will tell you for your vehicle
Checked the door tag right in the middle at 1860, figured it would be closer to the data above given it’s a lightly optioned bighorn

79 300

Reaction score
My quad cab hemi 4x4 with option group 2 had 1811 on the door sticker.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Truck
21 ram 1500 4x4
Payload 1950
Towing 10000
3.91 dif

Trailer
Weight 6500
33.5 ft long

weight your truck with everything you would take in the truck
post weight here

take picture of your door sticker
post here

Gren71

Reaction score
Those numbers are pretty close to what I tow with a similar truck. My only complaint is that the rear sags quite a bit IMO. I have a set of sumos on at the moment which work great with a WDH. But I have getting a set of air lift air bags soon that should fix the issue. Just food for thought.

Jck1994

Reaction score
Those numbers are pretty close to what I tow with a similar truck. My only complaint is that the rear sags quite a bit IMO. I have a set of sumos on at the moment which work great with a WDH. But I have getting a set of air lift air bags soon that should fix the issue. Just food for thought.
I planned on adding sway control, WDH and trailer break control at minimum before the trip, possible a simple set of air lift bags

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Checked the door tag right in the middle at 1860, figured it would be closer to the data above given it’s a lightly optioned bighorn
I figured it wasn't 1940. You may have the best though. Verify with a pic. I think 1840 was the winner!

mrclortho

Reaction score
No worries, your have plenty of truck for the job as long as you have a weight distributing, anti-sway hitch setup for that tongue weight. I tow this 33', 7,400 lbs trailer fairly easily at 70 mph and it has dual 6V big batteries and dual propane bottles on the tongue.

ram17.jpg

Jck1994

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help, I’ve see a lot of people saying it can’t be done, so glad to hear it’s possible.
Out of curiosity I looked in the truck and found weigh tickets from the last time I towed heavy, moving my classic charger. Ended up being close to the same amount of weight with probably close to the same tongue weight, and was able to pull that just fine for 500 miles. IMG_0953.jpeg

Last edited:

Jck1994

Reaction score
No worries, your have plenty of truck for the job as long as you have a weight distributing, anti-sway hitch setup for that tongue weight. I tow this 33', 7,400 lbs trailer fairly easily at 70 mph and it has dual 6V big batteries and dual propane bottles on the tongue.

View attachment 179924
Any additional issues towing with the lift and tires?

mrclortho

Reaction score
Any additional issues towing with the lift and tires?
Not especially because of these 8 speeds and the Hemi. I have the 3.21 rear so 6th gear is about all I see on the top end. I really didn't see much difference with the lift and tires over stock, other than maybe if there is a good head wind...maybe. These trucks are impressive these days compared to half ton trucks 20 years ago.

I was towing about 3 weeks ago in south Texas and the wind kick up something terrible. 30-40mph winds or more and the RAM didn't have much trouble. I had to keep it in 5th gear and slowed to about 65mph, but it wasn't an issue other than staying on top of it. The rear moved around a bit but not too bad. On the other hand, I came up on a newer F150 towing a TT about the same size as mine and he was struggling. The tail was wagging the dog and he wasn't holding speed well.

Jck1994

Reaction score
Not especially because of these 8 speeds and the Hemi. I have the 3.21 rear so 6th gear is about all I see on the top end. I really didn't see much difference with the lift and tires over stock, other than maybe if there is a good head wind...maybe. These trucks are impressive these days compared to half ton trucks 20 years ago.

I was towing about 3 weeks ago in south Texas and the wind kick up something terrible. 30-40mph winds or more and the RAM didn't have much trouble. I had to keep it in 5th gear and slowed to about 65mph, but it wasn't an issue other than staying on top of it. The rear moved around a bit but not too bad. On the other hand, I came up on a newer F150 towing a TT about the same size as mine and he was struggling. The tail was wagging the dog and he wasn't holding speed well.

Good to know, I’ve got a level and 35s on mine, thankfully that doesn’t sound like a limiting factor

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload and towing numbers are good to understand.
But more important factors in my mind are:
  • The terrain & elevation you are towing (Florida vs. Colorado?)
  • Distance (down to the lake or cross country)
  • The size and shape of the trailer (an RV is basically a parachute, and the longer it is, the more of a destabilizing effect it can leverage on the tow vehicle, regardless of weight)
  • Your own towing experience (fortunately sounds like you know a thing or two... usually folks willing to ask do)

I'd rather share the road with a veteran tugging something over the numbers than a newbie comfortably within them.

There is a difference between "Can I do it?" and "Will I enjoy doing it?" To help achieve the latter E-range tires, upgraded shocks (at least in the rear), plus possibly airbags and a Hellwig anti-sway bar will go a long way. Should go without saying a weight distributing hitch is a must, but detracts from payload capacity.

All that said, numbers seem fine if you keep most of your cargo in the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread