5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel Trailer Towing Question

Jokerpro

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I appreciate the help on this.

I’m looking at purchasing a new travel trailer and want to ask the experts their opinion on how well my truck will do.

Here are the specs of the travel trailer:

Model: 2022 Keystone Passport SL 221BH
Length: 26ft
Dry Weight: 5181
Gross Weight: 7000

Here are the specs of my truck:
2022 Ram 1500 with 3.21 gears
Max Towing: 8220
Max Payload: 1879
Class IV receiver-hitch
Passengers and cargo estimate: 1000

We will probably only use it 4-5 times a year and max distance traveled would be around 300 miles one way.

Let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful. Thanks.

Jokerpro

Reaction score
Before we go any further. Look at your door jam and report back with your actual payloa
Wow. That is awesome. Sorry. I assumed you used the configuration numbers.

You got lots of room then. And the trailer is a good fit.

The experts will be along to tell you all about it.
Thanks for the quick response.

It’s a level 1 big horn so it doesn’t have a ton of “extras” that add a lot of weight.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.

It’s a level 1 big horn so it doesn’t have a ton of “extras” that add a lot of weight.
Is it a quad cab? 2wd?

You should get a weight distribution hitch if you do not have one. Other than that...looks like you are looking at a trailer that fits your truck.

Jokerpro

Reaction score
It’s a quad cab but has 4wd. Yeah, I haven’t purchased a WDH but plan to once I finalize my decision on the camper. I’ve been reading a lot of threads about them trying to decide which one I want to purchase.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
26 ft is a good size camper. Keystones seems to make good campers.

26 ft is a size that opens up alot of campground sites and can still be easily maneuvered in a forest setting.

Good luck on the purchase and hope to see some pics out camping

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a quad cab but has 4wd. Yeah, I haven’t purchased a WDH but plan to once I finalize my decision on the camper. I’ve been reading a lot of threads about them trying to decide which one I want to purchase.
Awesome. You got the unicorn everyone thi ks they have.

WDH vary greatly by price and function. Lots of opinions about them. I just bought the cheap one at Harbor Freight...so I am of no use in that discusion.

Jokerpro

Reaction score
26 ft is a good size camper. Keystones seems to make good campers.

26 ft is a size that opens up alot of campground sites and can still be easily maneuvered in a forest setting.

Good luck on the purchase and hope to see some pics out camping
Thanks! I appreciate all the help. The kids and wife are excited to get outdoors.

Konrad

Reaction score
We tow a slightly smaller 23ft trailer (7500# max ) with a very similar truck, the only difference is eTorque in ours, so 100lbs less of payload. Living and traveling full time in our trailer for almost 2 years / 27k miles miles now. Zero problems, very comfortable drive and ride. Lots of power, no issues in mountains or anywhere else. MPG anything between 8-14 (wind is your main enemy)

I can definitely recommend Husky Centerline TS WDH.
c336432aad3a024682094cdb59e3caba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jokerpro

Reaction score
We tow a slightly smaller 23ft trailer (7500# max ) with a very similar truck, the only difference is eTorque in ours, so 100lbs less of payload. Living and traveling full time in our trailer for almost 2 years / 27k miles miles now. Zero problems, very comfortable drive and ride. Lots of power, no issues in mountains or anywhere else. MPG anything between 8-14 (wind is your main enemy)

c336432aad3a024682094cdb59e3caba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you. I’ll give that WDH a look. We also looked at a grey wolf similar to yours.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same one we ended up with, and like it so far. Easy to hook up and no issues with sway.

Originally ordered the Fastway E2, but we were at our dealer and they had the Husky in and offered to install it for us no charge. Easy decision.

Goldsy

Reaction score
You're similar to my specs, with a lot more payload to play with. I have a 22ft TT that's 5500 dry, 7700 gross and a 730 tongue weight. I have a limited, so my max payload is only 1200. Me, the wife, the dog and the tongue weight and I'm pretty might right at the limit. No issues for me. She's thirsty with the camper on the back, but more than capable of hauling it. I have the Curt Trutrack WDH system. It has sway control built in, works well and doesn't break the bank.

Jokerpro

Reaction score
Thoughts on towing a 31 foot compared to a 26 foot? Gross weight limit is only 200 pounds more, so 7200. It’s the Keystone Passport SL 268BH. Just trying to compare the two models.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts on towing a 31 foot compared to a 26 foot? Gross weight limit is only 200 pounds more, so 7200. It’s the Keystone Passport SL 268BH. Just trying to compare the two models.
With a good setup, 31’ will tow just fine.

Highly recommend getting the 15k A/C

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/