5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Oil change and other fluid changes.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question, is it required to replace the pan? If so, I’m assuming because the drain plug had a pipe that sticks a few inches above the bottom of the pan and doesn’t design the bottom of it, if so. Plus the filter change.
Yes, because the filter is part of the pan itself. You can either replace with an OEM style or get a PPE pan with a replaceable filter. I did PPE because I'm hoping to keep this truck for lots of miles.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I had the transmission serviced by the dealer at 30K miles. I bought the truck used and it had 15K miles of towing recorded, with air bags installed, which tells me he was towing more than likely heavier than the rating. The dealer agreed with why reasoning.

Mike Sully

Reaction score
man, some thoughts here...
I have a 2019 1500 Bighorn I use for towing a camper - Texas to West Virginia, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. Got the truck w/ 17k used from Enterprise. Also, one trip up the Raton Pass - the RPM's and temps were getting up there...
I'm out on summer trp with the camper - truck rubns fine, temps all fine. BUT I am dealing with the 4x4 actuator issue. THAT'S what led me down the rabbit hole and got me here...
My 4wd doesn't work, saw the actuator fix, figured I could do it, but how to relace the fluid? Hmmm, maybe I should check the tran fluid and differentials. Service schedule is 60k. Ooops, I'm at 64k... 65 by the time I'm home...
I would love to do this myself, Seen the PPE post here and watched many videos. Not sure I have the time or patience in case I screwed anything up in the process OR that I'd be the best judge of drained fluid condition, lookig for debris in the old fluid I'm replacing.
I have a great mechanic, but he may be a bit busy...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
man, some thoughts here...
I have a 2019 1500 Bighorn I use for towing a camper - Texas to West Virginia, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. Got the truck w/ 17k used from Enterprise. Also, one trip up the Raton Pass - the RPM's and temps were getting up there...
I'm out on summer trp with the camper - truck rubns fine, temps all fine. BUT I am dealing with the 4x4 actuator issue. THAT'S what led me down the rabbit hole and got me here...
My 4wd doesn't work, saw the actuator fix, figured I could do it, but how to relace the fluid? Hmmm, maybe I should check the tran fluid and differentials. Service schedule is 60k. Ooops, I'm at 64k... 65 by the time I'm home...
I would love to do this myself, Seen the PPE post here and watched many videos. Not sure I have the time or patience in case I screwed anything up in the process OR that I'd be the best judge of drained fluid condition, lookig for debris in the old fluid I'm replacing.
I have a great mechanic, but he may be a bit busy...
On the differential actuator swap, very little fluid will drip out. If you park the truck on a slight upward incline (or even just on flat ground) you'll likely be fine without refilling.

I just serviced both differentials and the transfer case on my truck (62k miles). It's the easiest service I've done on a vehicle (buy the diff oil they sell in the pouch).

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Its time to change diffs, transfer case and transmission fluids. I can't say about 4x4, but if its auto 4X4, there is a clutch involved and the oil is expensive.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its time to change diffs, transfer case and transmission fluids. I can't say about 4x4, but if its auto 4X4, there is a clutch involved and the oil is expensive.

You can find cheap oil elsewhere, no need to buy the mopar stuff. HPL for one, has oil that works in the auto TCase.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ya, I actually researched the TC oil and have a few samples of different oils to compare, but I had to buy the OE oil to compare with the others, so I used it first.

Mike Sully

Reaction score
On the differential actuator swap, very little fluid will drip out. If you park the truck on a slight upward incline (or even just on flat ground) you'll likely be fine without refilling.

I just serviced both differentials and the transfer case on my truck (62k miles). It's the easiest service I've done on a vehicle (buy the diff oil they sell in the pouch).
Got the actuator and was about to start the swap - seems easy enough, BUT (my PPE tran-pan upgrade sent me down the rabbit hole of making sure I got the filter and the gasket) I realized I don't have a gasket - the actuator didn't come with a new one...
None of the videos I've seen mention one, but feel like it's an obvious thin to replace with a new actuator. OR do I consider that the old one may be fine to use?...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the actuator and was about to start the swap - seems easy enough, BUT (my PPE tran-pan upgrade sent me down the rabbit hole of making sure I got the filter and the gasket) I realized I don't have a gasket - the actuator didn't come with a new one...
None of the videos I've seen mention one, but feel like it's an obvious thin to replace with a new actuator. OR do I consider that the old one may be fine to use?...
I just put it on. No issues or leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread