5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Oil change and other fluid changes.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a 2019 1500 non Etorque and I have never changed the transmission oil or filter for it. I’m curious if you guys think I should change it now doing a drain and fill, not a flush. I have 120,000 miles on it but they are mostly highway miles. If you guys do suggest it, I’ll be using the Mopar transmission oil and filter.

As for the motor oil, I always change it at 5,000 miles and I used Pennzoil Ultra platinum. Do you guys recommend me using the same oil or should I switch over to the Pennzoil high mileage platinum?

As for any other fluid changes and lubricants, can anyone else help with what other things I should be doing? I’m not sure exactly on what I should be lubricating, greasing, or what not.

Your help, suggestions, and opinions would be much appreciated.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to also service your front and rear differentials and transfer case. (Fluid changes)

Cabin air filter

Air filter (engine bay)

Rotate tires

There should be a maintenance schedule based on mileage in the owners manual.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to also service your front and rear differentials and transfer case. (Fluid changes)

Cabin air filter

Air filter (engine bay)

Rotate tires

There should be a maintenance schedule based on mileage in the owners manual.
Ok. The cabin filter, air filter, and rotation of tires, I always do, so that’s good to know. Seems like I never done fluid changes for the front and rear differentials and transfer case. I’ll get with my mechanic on that. So you think I should change the transmission oil and filter at this point? Since I never had. Any other fluid changes I’m missing? Thanks for the fast reply.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No personal experience with high mileage motor oil but a quick internet search indicates several benefits.

"High mileage oil contains special antioxidants, detergents, and additives that can help reduce engine wear and minimize the chances of sludge buildup. Importantly, high-mileage oil helps prevent aging seals and gaskets from becoming brittle and causing leaks, usually evidenced by oil stains on the pavement where the car is parked. This can lead to increased oil consumption and even costly engine damage."

We have similar 5th Gen Ram join dates and Ram purchases. The transmission fluid change has been covered in a thread and can give you some insight on your decision. The dealership I purchased my Ram from wouldn't do it at the 5 year mark with 35-37K on the odometer and said come back at 50K.

Many years back I talked to a cab driver in Manhattan when they drove the Ford Crown Victoria. He changed the tranny fluid every 25K, oil once a week (I believe) and had over 200K with original tranny and motor. Not very scientific but some empirical evidence that convinced me the value of fluid changes. It was also a lot easier to change fluids back than though.

Last edited:

Mr4x403

Reaction score
I just went through all my fluids not long ago. Each piece was a little different, but i did them all in my driveway with a couple special tools, an extended torx i believe for the transmission pan i think. Sorry for my memory, trying to remember without searching. Also threw in the spark plugs, that i did get a wobbly 11" extension tool from amazon. I was around 100K when i did everything and so far so good, 5K ago.

I read alot and found some good videos on the internet on how to do everything. I got my parts from Blauparts, they had a kit for each piece with all the fluids and spouts and such. The tranny kit came with a new pan and filter because they are one piece. I believe that is where i found all the videos too. I was very impressed with everything they had for this exact situation.

Search around and look for the videos, google and such. You'll be able to get a good grasp on what is involved and decide if you want to do it or not.

Hope this helps

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would do a drain and fill, obviously filter, but with that being said, how much longer do you plan to keep it? The diffs are easy to DIY as well as the other. The process for the trans, I'll be letting the dealership do that.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would do a drain and fill, obviously filter, but with that being said, how much longer do you plan to keep it? The diffs are easy to DIY as well as the other. The process for the trans, I'll be letting the dealership do that.
If I might offer an opinion on this...you may want to consider having a reputable transmission shop do the change, and here's why I say this. Dealerships are often not familiar with doing these fluid changes as they'll hide behind the "lifetime" fluid thing, so it's not part of their daily. Also, there's too high of a chance that they'll put an inexperienced, untrained oil change technician on the job. Plus, they'll probably be cheaper.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OP - if you plan to keep the truck, then yes, for sure do all the fluid changes. The tranny refill process is a bit tricky but certainly doable, the diffs and transfer case are super easy.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I might offer an opinion on this...you may want to consider having a reputable transmission shop do the change, and here's why I say this. Dealerships are often not familiar with doing these fluid changes as they'll hide behind the "lifetime" fluid thing, so it's not part of their daily. Also, there's too high of a chance that they'll put an inexperienced, untrained oil change technician on the job. Plus, they'll probably be cheaper.
Yeah I've thought of this, but also need to make sure the shop has experience with the transmission, but thanks for the feedback.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely a shop that has regularly done ZF8 transmissions and can order the right combined filter/pan kit and fluid for the 8HP75. Luckily, so many vehicles with the ZF8 on the market that it should be easy to find.

As Andymax already mentioned, most dealerships are likely not too well versed in maintenance on the ZF8 as they advertise the fluid as lifetime and if there is a tranny issue, their main fix is total replacement.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m planning to keep this truck for another 8-10 years. So I’ll definitely do it. I’ll have my mechanic do a drain and flush for the transmission oil. I’ll buy the pan and the oil from Mopar. He does not believe in flushes so that’s a good thing. He said it’s a scam and makes it worse on your vehicle. Besides the pan with the filter and the fluid, is that all I am needing here? Just trying to get him everything he needs.

I’ll replace the diffs myself and buy the proper fluid from Mopar for the front and back.

The transfer case, I’ll do it myself as well. I’ll buy the proper fluid for it from Mopar. Looks as easy as the diffs fluid change.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m planning to keep this truck for another 8-10 years. So I’ll definitely do it. I’ll have my mechanic do a drain and flush for the transmission oil. I’ll buy the pan and the oil from Mopar. He does not believe in flushes so that’s a good thing. He said it’s a scam and makes it worse on your vehicle. Besides the pan with the filter and the fluid, is that all I am needing here? Just trying to get him everything he needs.

I’ll replace the diffs myself and buy the proper fluid from Mopar for the front and back.

The transfer case, I’ll do it myself as well. I’ll buy the proper fluid for it from Mopar. Looks as easy as the diffs fluid change.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m planning to keep this truck for another 8-10 years. So I’ll definitely do it. I’ll have my mechanic do a drain and flush for the transmission oil. I’ll buy the pan and the oil from Mopar.
As I believe 1BADRAM is alluding to above, make sure your mechanic knows the process for drain/fill...it requires careful temperature monitoring and leveling the transmission.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I believe 1BADRAM is alluding to above, make sure your mechanic knows the process for drain/fill...it requires careful temperature monitoring and leveling the transmission.
Right , I was going to do that service myself but decided to take it to a shop and have it done

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure they want the fluid to be 90 degrees F or a little bit warmer to do a correct level check. So what I’ve done in the past is wait and do my transmission filter changes during the middle of summer. In summer here it’s common for ambient temp to be 90+F, which means that I can skip the part where you’re supposed to heat up the transmission. Since the fluid is already warm enough, I can simply fill to the correct level and keep moving on with the process. Saves a lot of time and hassle. It may not get the fluid level 100% perfect and some minor tweaks might be needed but this method gets it really close immediately.

I feel like once you change the filter once to get out all the break-in contaminate and shavings you’d probably be good to go on that for the life of the transmission with only fluid changes every 60k in the future. I personally would NEVER wait 100k or more to do the first filter change.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure they want the fluid to be 90 degrees F or a little bit warmer to do a correct level check. So what I’ve done in the past is wait and do my transmission filter changes during the middle of summer. In summer here it’s common for ambient temp to be 90+F, which means that I can skip the part where you’re supposed to heat up the transmission. Since the fluid is already warm enough, I can simply fill to the correct level and keep moving on with the process. Saves a lot of time and hassle. It may not get the fluid level 100% perfect and some minor tweaks might be needed but this method gets it really close immediately.

I feel like once you change the filter once to get out all the break-in contaminate and shavings you’d probably be good to go on that for the life of the transmission with only fluid changes every 60k in the future. I personally would NEVER wait 100k or more to do the first filter change.
I doubt the fluid sitting in the pan or internally is as hot as outside ambient temp.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Service the trans at a dealer, in your driveway, at an independent shop. Just get it done. Any way the service can get screwed up. It happens, there isn't any 1 way that is 100% fool proof. Not any tech/shop is perfect, mistakes will be made.

I have done flushes and pan drop services on this transmission. Probably more flushes than services at that, it's a very easy transmission to service and to check the fluid on. Is it intimidating at first, sure.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I doubt the fluid sitting in the pan or internally is as hot as outside ambient temp.

Why would it not be? Whatever is sitting around outside will all be the same temperature. Unless it's in direct sunlight, which a transmission pan wouldn't be.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would it not be? Whatever is sitting around outside will all be the same temperature. Unless it's in direct sunlight, which a transmission pan wouldn't be.
Right and with that same reasoning or thought process grass under a tree would be cool to touch or cool-ER due to the shade produced correct? Sooo fluid sitting out of direct sunlight encapsulated in metal(metal acts as an insulator) would be lower in temperature correct?

But this will be my last reply to the senseless “debate “ your provoking. It’s Your truck do as you please and let ambient air temp be your guide when doing your service.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mechanic that I trust is aware of the temperature monitoring. He said it’s very similar to the Toyotas (he specializes in Toyotas but has worked on other manufacturers). He brought that up himself without me saying anything, so that’s a good thing. I’ll do the transfer case and diffs myself since that’s pretty much just a drain and fill. But I’m definitely not touching the transmission myself. I’ll get that done soon with also some brake pad changes.

Question, is it required to replace the pan? If so, I’m assuming because the drain plug had a pipe that sticks a few inches above the bottom of the pan and doesn’t design the bottom of it, if so. Plus the filter change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread