5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission issue while towing

flacracker89

Reaction score
While towing my boat my truck gets to a high RPM (4,000 to 4,500) before shifting and will not get out of 6th gear unless I let off the gas and let it down shift. I have video of me going 55mph in tow mode with cruise control set and it wouldn't shift up, it stayed at 4,000 rpm until I let off the gas and let it down shift. The issue happens in tow mode and normal mode. Boat and trailer weigh 7,500lb. I did the break in period with towing and I don't push the truck hard. Any ideas? It's at the dealer now with multiple issues, this being one of them. I'll post update from the dealer when I hear back.
*2020 Ram 1500 tradesman 4x4. 3.92 ratio, limited slip axle, tow package.

Drewster

Reaction score
Did you have a check engine light or anything? This doesn't sound like an issue...

The whole point of tow mode is to keep the transmission from shifting too much and overheating. If you're pulling 70% of the truck's capacity, in tow mode, foot on the gas, yeah I don't expect it would shift until load lightens up.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6th gear is 1:1

Avoiding overdrive in 7th/8th is not bad when towing heavy

LordoftheRams

Reaction score
While towing my boat my truck gets to a high RPM (4,000 to 4,500) before shifting and will not get out of 6th gear unless I let off the gas and let it down shift. I have video of me going 55mph in tow mode with cruise control set and it wouldn't shift up, it stayed at 4,000 rpm until I let off the gas and let it down shift. The issue happens in tow mode and normal mode. Boat and trailer weigh 7,500lb. I did the break in period with towing and I don't push the truck hard. Any ideas? It's at the dealer now with multiple issues, this being one of them. I'll post update from the dealer when I hear back.
*2020 Ram 1500 tradesman 4x4. 3.92 ratio, limited slip axle, tow package.
My truck rarely shifts out of 6th towing 8k lbs. Hemi is just clearing its throat at 4k rpm.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cruise control is pretty aggressive and any little grade it will almost automatically downshift even though it may not need it.
I pulled a 6700lb TT with my 3.92 equipped truck and could drive on the interstate in 7th by foot. Using cruise control it was constantly shifting when the grade was changing, it was super annoying to me.
At 55 the RPM's would be lower and the 5.7 doesn't make a ton of torque down low, she was built to spin.

Users who are viewing this thread