5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission fluid change.

Drakemparker

Reaction score
Think it’s safe to do a transmission fluid change on my 21 ram limited? Has 72k miles. I know I seen someone said that EZ recommends to do it at 60k but I’m about 15k over that now.

azzx

Reaction score
Last time when I took my truck to the dealer for oil change, I asked about changing the tranny fluid. Thye told me that it is a sealed system and no oil change is required

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last time when I took my truck to the dealer for oil change, I asked about changing the tranny fluid. Thye told me that it is a sealed system and no oil change is required
They lied to you, just so you know. Manufacture of the transmission tells you around 60K

I would do a drain, filter and refill.

azzx

Reaction score
Thanks - I am surprised why they would lie since it means $ to them.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes the dealerships are clueless when it comes to certain things or what they're told. No fluid is lifetime.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is not a lie, there is no service recommendations from RAM. We service these transmission daily where I work(RAM dealer). I have serviced from 60k miles to 100k miles, never had an issue. These trans are built very well. Even the Stellantis built units are very dependable.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They lied to you, just so you know. Manufacture of the transmission tells you around 60K

I would do a drain, filter and refill.
It is not a lie, RAM has no service interval on this transmission. I know what ZF says, with that said all service info from RAM has no recommendations on service interval. Is that the best for longevity of the transmission, most likely not.

With that said, Stellantis has rights to build the transmissions for use in their fleet of vehicles. With that said, who is the manufacturer?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is not a lie, RAM has no service interval on this transmission. I know what ZF says, with that said all service info from RAM has no recommendations on service interval. Is that the best for longevity of the transmission, most likely not.

With that said, Stellantis has rights to build the transmissions for use in their fleet of vehicles. With that said, who is the manufacturer?
They lie because the manufacture even states otherwise and they know better then a reseller and again NO fluid is lifetime!!

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No fluid is lifetime, that said after a certain point it is best to not change the fluid. at 72,000 miles you still low enough in miles that it would be good to go ahead and change it.

azzx

Reaction score
OK - I have not looked so have no idea if the tranny oil pan has bolts to be removed to drain and change filter.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Who builds the transmission? Here is a hint, Stellantis/Ram doesn't buy transmission assemblies for these trucks.
So fluid is lifetime? Come on man you can do better!! You even say so yourself, yet here you are still trying :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So fluid is lifetime? Come on man you can do better!! You even say so yourself, yet here you are still trying :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
He said above that the Ram recommendation of no fluid change is NOT what's best for longevity - you two are on the same page!

Ram doesn't recommend it, ZF does. The video above shows it's an easy process for those that want to do it.

Personally, I have 62,000 miles on my '19 Limited and do not plan on changing it. I've put 2,500 miles on it in the past six months, who knows when I'll get bored and trade it.

Most on the forum over maintain their vehicles (not a bad thing). But I doubt most here will keep their Rams until 125,000 miles or beyond, so it's really a non issue...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is a good question. I would argue they are licensing out the technology and product to make it in house. It is still by ZF even if created in another factory that Ram owns to decrease the cost using their spec.
Is Stellantis allow to make changes to the transmissions without a breach of contract? At what point can they steal the design and make a few changes then claim it is not ZF branded?
I think that question might be harder to answer then you thought it was.

Base warranty for the transmission I believe caps out at 60k, I believe in miles it's like 76k ZF recommends the oil to be changed under normal duty, which would mean it's outside the "lifetime" of the warranty and thus "lifetime fluid" in Ram's.

There's a reason why Ram doesn't say the truck will last 10 years, or 100k miles as these are all claims that can either be proved or considered false advertisement.
They use terms like dependable and other vague terms such as "lifetime" do you think the oil would be fine after 300k miles?
The lifetime of a truck can be determined on if the frame rots out which in some places could be never, engines require oil changes and can be rebuilt or replaced. A transmission can't in theory have lifetime fluid even in a perfect world imo.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why it's hilarious he even commented.
And nobody has lied, not even the original service advisor. I am defending a person I don't know because of people like you. THE ADVISOR/DEALER IS CORRECT IN THEIR STATEMENT. Yet here you are beating your drum.

I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance vs no maintenance.

I don't try, I DO!

Is that funny for you?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And nobody has lied, not even the original service advisor. I am defending a person I don't know because of people like you. THE ADVISOR/DEALER IS CORRECT IN THEIR STATEMENT. Yet here you are beating your drum.

I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance vs no maintenance.

I don't try, I DO!

Is that funny for you?
What ever makes you sleep better at night. The dealership is NOT telling the truth it being sealed and lifetime which means it's a lie. They're covering their a$$ until out of warranty. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread