5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Let us know what happens after the ESM replacement. My truck is being serviced at OCCDJR and the Service Manager told me he has his best guy on it (18 years with the dealership). The Service Advisor mentioned that they are also conferring with a regional mechanic (possibly FCA corporate?), which I’m wondering if he covers your dealership in LA. TX1500 has some really good insight as well as to possible cause. Something is better than doing nothing
You might consider having OCCDJR contact LACDJR and the service manager, Greg H. He's a good guy and has been so helpful.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
So, my truck has a completely new wiring harness. The first attempt by the dealership and the engineer from RAM was an overlay. This did not correct the problem. Now, they've completely rewired the truck and replaced the shifter and control module. So far. So good.

Also, they are giving me a few payments and extending my warranty, which is fine by me. As I've written here and expressed to them, I love the truck and don't want to get something else. Hoping this is the end of it. Of course, I'll give regular updates.

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
So I contacted my dealership and told them about your truck and issue and what they've done so far. They asked if I had a VIN #. I said "No", but they can contact Greg H. at the dealership. The service advisor called me this morning and said that the mechanic hasn't been able to reproduce the issue. I told him, that's always been the case not only with me, but everyone else. I'm so irritated at this point :mad:

cristi

Reaction score
So I contacted my dealership and told them about your truck and issue and what they've done so far. They asked if I had a VIN #. I said "No", but they can contact Greg H. at the dealership. The service advisor called me this morning and said that the mechanic hasn't been able to reproduce the issue. I told him, that's always been the case not only with me, but everyone else. I'm so irritated at this point :mad:
the safest way is to film the problem with your phone

cristi

Reaction score
So, my truck has a completely new wiring harness. The first attempt by the dealership and the engineer from RAM was an overlay. This did not correct the problem. Now, they've completely rewired the truck and replaced the shifter and control module. So far. So good.

Also, they are giving me a few payments and extending my warranty, which is fine by me. As I've written here and expressed to them, I love the truck and don't want to get something else. Hoping this is the end of it. Of course, I'll give regular updates.
my opinion is that it is not a wiring problem, it is more likely a software problem

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
The first time I took the truck in, they had it for a week and couldn't replicate it. They asked me to come in and drive it. The mechanic and I got into the truck, turned out of the dealership lot and within 20 seconds, it happened. I was shocked, actually. The mechanic said "Ok. That's it. Let's go back." I also have video of it - just after it happens - with the blinking light on the transmission dial, etc.

This last time the engineers put a "flight recorder" device on my truck and they drove it extensively. (Yes, I'm getting an extended warranty.) After a few days, they had collected enough data and determined what repairs were needed.

I am supposed to get the truck back today.

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
All dealers are independently owned and operated and having a common database with issue doesn't exist IMHO. I'm using Stellantis (FCA) to help facilitate a dialog between LA and OC dealerships. Otherwise I'm SOL. @Buckeye Nation , do you know if the "engineers" who put a "flight recorder" device on your truck were field engineers who work for Stellantis? Would you be willing to PM me your VIN or the last 6-digits so I can have OC service talk to LA service? I'm going down to the dealership today to raise some hell.

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
Well, I just got off the phone with the service advisor. They are going to drive it again, but if they can't reproduce the issue, then I'll just pick-up my truck and deal with it. They are saying since I replaced the battery, that is what may have fixed the issue. I don't agree considering this has been going on for over a year.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Well, I just got off the phone with the service advisor. They are going to drive it again, but if they can't reproduce the issue, then I'll just pick-up my truck and deal with it. They are saying since I replaced the battery, that is what may have fixed the issue. I don't agree considering this has been going on for over a year.
Definitely not the battery. Mine did it for two years before I changed the battery (I woke up and it was dead one day in July). I'll send you PM with my info.

Last edited:

cristi

Reaction score
everyone is affected by this problem, the manufacturer is not interested? I expected the problem to be solved much faster in the US than in Europe where there are not so many mountain trucks

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
Latest news…service advisor from OCCDJR called and left me a message that they spoke with a Stellantis engineer and they got authorization to replace the ignition button (why the ignition button, I have no clue) and look for any TCM updates (via Technical Bulletins) as well. They haven’t been able to reproduce the issue, but are replacing the part for "Customer Satisfaction’’ reasons (whatever that means).

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
Well, here is an interesting one. The service advisor called me this morning and said they found a 3rd party GPS device on my truck that is causing intermittent voltage drops. I told him that truck is 100% stock and I hadn’t installed anything "3rd Party". He said most dealers (including theirs) install these devices in case the vehicle is stored on another lot and is stolen. I asked him why they don’t remove these devices prior to delivery to the customer (post-sale) and he said they are somewhat labor intensive to remove so they just leave them on there. He had to call me to get my approval to remove it. I said yes, I don’t need a tracking device on my vehicle that I don’t know about. We do know from what [mention]TX1500 [/mention] posted with the voltage drops that this 3rd party GPS device could be attributing to the issue.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, here is an interesting one. The service advisor called me this morning and said they found a 3rd party GPS device on my truck that is causing intermittent voltage drops. I told him that truck is 100% stock and I hadn’t installed anything "3rd Party". He said most dealers (including theirs) install these devices in case the vehicle is stored on another lot and is stolen. I asked him why they don’t remove these devices prior to delivery to the customer (post-sale) and he said they are somewhat labor intensive to remove so they just leave them on there. He had to call me to get my approval to remove it. I said yes, I don’t need a tracking device on my vehicle that I don’t know about. We do know from what [mention]TX1500 [/mention] posted with the voltage drops that this 3rd party GPS device could be attributing to the issue.
wtf seriously? how can we tell if we have this "tracker" installed?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
They're just trying to get rid of you.
wtf seriously? how can we tell if we have this "tracker" installed?

Some are really easy to spot because they were hastily installed and look like cr@p. Look up under your steering wheel and pedals.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Had the truck back for five days and... BINGO - slipped out of gear again while stopping. I'm done! Will find a lemon lawyer and initiate the buy back/law suit. This is the FOURTH time that the truck has been in service for this issue. DONE!!!

Snekpete

Reaction score
Had the truck back for five days and... BINGO - slipped out of gear again while stopping. I'm done! Will find a lemon lawyer and initiate the buy back/law suit. This is the FOURTH time that the truck has been in service for this issue. DONE!!!
I don't blame you one bit, I'd feel the same way. This is a software and hardware problem. I've worked software long enough to know that FCA will never be able to fix these software bugs. Some unique hardware problems are triggering this particular software bug. If you are familiar with Boolean logic the number of possible paths goes exponential, fast! If the software is not VERY carefully written, organized and commented it becomes a steaming pile of spaghetti-pretzel rat's nest real fast. Then the idiot managers prescribe adding ridiculous amounts of SAR (system analysis and recording) bogging down the processors and making debugging close to impossible. I lived that life for 25 years.

I've experienced two software gremlins in my Rebel so far in just under 5,000 miles. Just sitting at an idle in park the horn goes off and the emergency flashers come on, for no known reason. Somewhere in that huge pile of spaghetti a path was followed to trigger an Auto Fill Assist feature, but why the emergency flashers? Probably no one will ever be able to figure it out. At least these aren't Boeing 737 Maxs, where such glitches can have more serious effects.

Imagine designing an aircraft, the French Airbus, where the pilot and the copilot each have independent side stick controls. Neither can visually see what the other's control stick is doing. If the pilot pushes his stick full forward and the copilot pulls his control full back, there is no feedback to indicate that the two are inputting opposite control commands. And the computer processor makes a decision to hold full back stick as the copilot commands. And a perfectly good plane free falls 50,000 feet into the Pacific Ocean killing everyone on board.

And you take the same plane and do a low pass at an airshow. Applying full power the computer overrides you and says nope, we're going to land. And land you do about a quarter mile past the end of the runway in a heavy forest. The planes explodes in a ball of fire.

Last edited:

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
@Buckeye Nation , per our conversation yesterday, I don't blame you one bit. I picked up my truck yesterday after they removed the 3rd party GPS device and I know that doesn't apply to you, so I'm not confident this fixed my issue. I'm going to hook up my BlueDriver this morning and do a "Live" monitor for a while. My conclusion (based on all the posts), is that it's definitely a voltage issue. What is causing it, could be anything. @TX1500 posted some charts from his BlueDriver and I think he is on to something. @Snekpete Being in the IT Industry for over 45 years, there are many things that can screw with circuit board logic. The dealer used their WITech OBDII sensor on my truck this time. During isolation testing found an IOD (Ignition-Off Draw) spike at 3.2A. When they removed the 3rd Party GPS device, the IOD was within specs (.007A-.015A). They performed this test 2x for ~6 hours each and it held steady within specs. Maybe mine was the GPS device, but that doesn't mean that any other stock component can't cause the IOD to spike as well. I will definitely keep everyone on this thread posted on my findings. They also replaced the radiator because it was leaking. Wouldn't that be interesting if the coolant was leaking onto a lead and causing it to short. I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. My big issue that @Buckeye Nation and I agree on is that this is a safety issue. You don't want to be hung out in the middle of a busy intersection and possibly get rear ended or broadsided.

Vulpes

Reaction score
I don't blame you one bit, I'd feel the same way. This is a software and hardware problem. I've worked software long enough to know that FCA will never be able to fix these software bugs. Some unique hardware problems are triggering this particular software bug. If you are familiar with Boolean logic the number of possible paths goes exponential, fast! If the software is not VERY carefully written, organized and commented it becomes a steaming pile of spaghetti-pretzel rat's nest real fast. Then the idiot managers prescribe adding ridiculous amounts of SAR (system analysis and recording) bogging down the processors and making debugging close to impossible. I lived that life for 25 years.

I've experienced two software gremlins in my Rebel so far in just under 5,000 miles. Just sitting at an idle in park the horn goes off and the emergency flashers come on, for no known reason. Somewhere in that huge pile of spaghetti a path was followed to trigger an Auto Fill Assist feature, but why the emergency flashers? Probably no one will ever be able to figure it out. At least these aren't Boeing 737 Maxs, where such glitches can have more serious effects.

Imagine designing an aircraft, the French Airbus, where the pilot and the copilot each have independent side stick controls. Neither can visually see what the other's control stick is doing. If the pilot pushes his stick full forward and the copilot pulls his control full back, there is no feedback to indicate that the two are inputting opposite control commands. And the computer processor makes a decision to hold full back stick as the copilot commands. And a perfectly good plane free falls 50,000 feet into the Pacific Ocean killing everyone on board.

And you take the same plane and do a low pass at an airshow. Applying full power the computer overrides you and says nope, we're going to land. And land you do about a quarter mile past the end of the runway in a heavy forest. The planes explodes in a ball of fire.
What you said about the software makes sense. My Rebel also has both of these gremlins, the transmission falls out of drive into neutral at low speed decleration/braking AND it does what you describe with the flashers and horn honking when I idle it, which is every. single. time. I use my compressor to fill my tires after leaving a trail for paved areas. One is an irritating quirk and the other is potentially dangerous... I might put an on/off switch for my horn under the hood.

Snekpete

Reaction score
What you said about the software makes sense. My Rebel also has both of these gremlins, the transmission falls out of drive into neutral at low speed decleration/braking AND it does what you describe with the flashers and horn honking when I idle it, which is every. single. time. I use my compressor to fill my tires after leaving a trail for paved areas. One is an irritating quirk and the other is potentially dangerous... I might put an on/off switch for my horn under the hood.
You can probably stop the horn/flasher gremlin by going into Uconnect->Settings->Safety/Driving Assistance->Tire Fill Assist and uncheck it.

Users who are viewing this thread