5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission downshifts going downhill.

JimD007

Reaction score
Have you noticed your truck downshifting on a fairly steep downgrade to hold speed down when using the cruise control? I noticed it first in the mountains where it got to pretty high rpm (maybe 4,000) due to the grade. Since then I've noticed it a time or two around town. I've mostly owned manual transmission vehicles but I've never noticed an automatic downshifting to hold speed down before. The fact that I have the V6 with less engine braking is probably a factor.

Jeff12

Reaction score
My truck with the Hemi does the same thing. I like it in the mountains compared to older vehicles where you’d have a runaway going downhill with the cruise on.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It also does that without the cruise control if your foot is off the pedal. You have to be careful about manually downshifting because you'll likely discover as I did that I was already down in 5th and it really didn't like going lower than that. :LOL:

ClancyO

Reaction score
Prior to the Ram I had an early Titan and the 6 speed auto in it was brilliant at doing this. The transmission, and perhaps the engine itself, were the best things about that truck. My bighorn did this exactly once In 11,000 miles, in tow/haul mode while towing and going down a slight grade. It kinda surprised me because I’d given up on the transmission ever figuring it out... My Laramie has already done it several times and has less than 200 miles on it. In fact the Laramie shifts so much smoother than the bighorn (2019 vs 2020). There’s a difference in rear gear too, but I think the programming has just gotten better in the new truck.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Have you noticed your truck downshifting on a fairly steep downgrade to hold speed down when using the cruise control? I noticed it first in the mountains where it got to pretty high rpm (maybe 4,000) due to the grade. Since then I've noticed it a time or two around town. I've mostly owned manual transmission vehicles but I've never noticed an automatic downshifting to hold speed down before. The fact that I have the V6 with less engine braking is probably a factor.
My hemi does it also. Like you said it is to maintain the set speed. I don't use cruise in town so I don't know about that.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I notice it daily because my commute includes a 25 mph 10% grade that's about a mile long just as I'm getting into town. Truck shifts down to 2nd towards the end. I never even have to touch the brakes on that hill though.

dougf

Reaction score
Noticed it yesterday, on a steep downhill with 40mph speed limit. 3.0L diesel with 3.21. I expected to see it shift into a higher gear when I went over the top of the hill and was wondering why it didn't (cruise was NOT on.) Interesting to see this discussion this morning. It maintained 4th gear to the bottom (~3/4 mile) and never upshifted.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
My BMWs have done this since the early 2000s. They even brake if necessary to maintain the set speed on downhill grades. I love this feature.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rams are great with this. My 4th gen did the same thing. Put it in tow haul mode and it’ll be even more noticeable, I feel like a big rig using a jake brake when I’m going down a hill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zlman

Reaction score
Mine does it too, I hate it, I wish it would just gain some speed and even out once you hit level road. I'm not in the mountains though, I can see where you guys would like the feature.

jebjam

Reaction score
This is what I like about forums! I have the 3.0 ecodiesel and drive though mountains every couple of weeks, have manually downshifted to maintain speed but worry about over-reving. I'm going to try cruise next time, I've never done that.
On that note - when you do use manual downshift, whats the max RPM you'll let your diesel engine run? I have had to touch the brakes, with a gas engine I'd downshift further but with the diesel I'm worried about running the engine speed too high.

NoExpert

Reaction score
My previous pickup was a new 2018 GMC with the 6.2, and it did a terrible job braking when going downhill, especially when pulling. RAM has done a very good job with engine braking while going downhill, especially when towing with tow/haul engaged. The RAM's downshifting keeps my brakes and trailer brakes from getting too hot. IMO they did a fantastic job with the 5.7 motor and transmission shift points on these trucks. Good job FCA.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My previous pickup was a new 2018 GMC with the 6.2, and it did a terrible job braking when going downhill, especially when pulling. RAM has done a very good job with engine braking while going downhill, especially when towing with tow/haul engaged. The RAM's downshifting keeps my brakes and trailer brakes from getting too hot. IMO they did a fantastic job with the 5.7 motor and transmission shift points on these trucks. Good job FCA.
I would have to agree, the 5.7 engine braking is great, can't speak for the diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread