5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission bump?

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
2024 1500 5.7
Problem is like this. When driving say at 50 or 55. If I let off the gas and don't apply the brakes while slowing down a few mph. I can only assume that it's right before it starts to shift down. Then I press the gas what I guess is to fast I get a thud or a bump if you will. From what I've read it seems to just be the transmission learning my driving habits? Any advice is appreciated than n you!

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Possible that the MDS is kicking in when you let off the gas and kicking off when you give it gas. You can test this by putting it in tow/haul mode which will disable MDS.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Possible that the MDS is kicking in when you let off the gas and kicking off when you give it gas. You can test this by putting it in tow/haul mode which will disable MDS.

Setting the max gear to 8 using the thump steering wheel switches also disables the MDS but doesn't change shift points and other variables like tow/haul mode does..

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
So pretty sure you're on to something there. I did the thing with the gears on the steering wheel. Didn't do it once. Took it off paid attention to the eco thing it'd do it almost every time. Ima let the dealer deal with it. It only has 1200 miles on it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So pretty sure you're on to something there. I did the thing with the gears on the steering wheel. Didn't do it once. Took it off paid attention to the eco thing it'd do it almost every time. Ima let the dealer deal with it. It only has 1200 miles on it.
The dealer might have an update that they can perform. But honestly I don't think there's anything they can do. It is just the nature of how it works. But again mine's as smooth as can be, so I would suspect that there could be something wrong.

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
The dealer might have an update that they can perform. But honestly I don't think there's anything they can do. It is just the nature of how it works. But again mine's as smooth as can be, so I would suspect that there could be something wrong.
I could be over thinking it. A couple times it was a roughly rough snap. Others you can really tell the difference between it and small bumps in the road. The truck definitely doesn't have any updates other then just what a 2024 comes with stock. I was able to look it up through the ram website. I've had software fix some crazy stuff on my last 2020. It could also be sumin as simple as a loose mount. Thanks either way though. That got me a bit more information to give them when I drop it off.

Ram027

Reaction score
I could be over thinking it. A couple times it was a roughly rough snap. Others you can really tell the difference between it and small bumps in the road. The truck definitely doesn't have any updates other then just what a 2024 comes with stock. I was able to look it up through the ram website. I've had software fix some crazy stuff on my last 2020. It could also be sumin as simple as a loose mount. Thanks either way though. That got me a bit more information to give them when I drop it off.
Any updates on this one? I upgraded my 2015 5.7L Hemi to a 2024 Ram 1500 5.7L etorque last month, and have noticed a similar issue. I mostly notice it at highway speeds – if I press lightly on the gas while the “eco” symbol is on it seems like I get the thud/jolt 50% of the time, similar to a bump in the road as you’ve said. If I press hard on the gas I don’t get the thud.

My 2015 had MDS but was extremely smooth, so I’m not sure if the MDS system is faulty in my 2024, or if the thud could be caused by the transmission learning my driving style or the etorque system? I wouldn’t think it’s the transmission as it happens without ever leaving 8th gear at highway speeds.

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
Any updates on this one? I upgraded my 2015 5.7L Hemi to a 2024 Ram 1500 5.7L etorque last month, and have noticed a similar issue. I mostly notice it at highway speeds – if I press lightly on the gas while the “eco” symbol is on it seems like I get the thud/jolt 50% of the time, similar to a bump in the road as you’ve said. If I press hard on the gas I don’t get the thud.

My 2015 had MDS but was extremely smooth, so I’m not sure if the MDS system is faulty in my 2024, or if the thud could be caused by the transmission learning my driving style or the etorque system? I wouldn’t think it’s the transmission as it happens without ever leaving 8th gear at highway speeds.
Well I'll give you the info I've gathered. Though nothing has lead me to a conclusion or proof on what exactly it is. If you're experiencing it, you'll notice it less once you've gotten everything up to operating temps. Youll notice that it does it randomly at any speed from 20-65. Youll notice some days it does it more. Others not at all.

Now for the things I've gathered. 1st it seems to do it more often going down hills. These trucks do have hill descent control. So it could be that when the truck drops into mds mode. While drifting down hill. The sudden rush of power in reactivating the other 4 and unlocking out of the hill descent control causes a slight jolt.

I also can no longer say it only happens when mds is active. It's much harder to notice happen when I use the gear selector. I wouldn't say that I don't feel it. I'll test that next time I drive her. As it's most noticeable when truck is cold. There is a specific spot near my house I can make it do it almost every time. Never tried it on that spot with mds off. It's also down hill.

Eco doesn't necessarily mean you're in mds. Just that you're driving at the most economical. Usually after that light has been lit for a 5+ seconds mds will come on. Which is probably why you noticed it's only 50% of the time.

I've taken it to the dealer over it. They couldn't pin point anything. Did a trans relearn. Didn't fix it took it back they rode with. I showed him I could make it happen. He noticed it might be mds turning off right as the transmission goes to shift into the next gear. He seemed pretty honest. Just told me he doesn't know.

He said there is so many modules, and other electronics on these trucks today. It's not uncommon to experience things they have never fixed before. They have had to fly in engineers to help make repairs because Chrysler likes to stay tight lipped on issues which causes communications to slow information getting back to folks that actually fix the problems. They won't even share when they think the trucks are truly broken in. I'm pretty good at reading people. I could tell he wasn't lying and was actually more concerned he had no idea an he was the lead tech at the dealer. So we decided if it gets worse to bring it back an let them look again. It hasn't gotten worse. Just hasn't stopped.

If you turn the auto start/stop etorque off. You'll notice coming to a slow stop is much smoother. So I think that has something to do with it. I've recently noticed if I leave the start/stop on, with mds on. Turn the ac on so that the engine doesn't turn off. It'll do it soon as I release the brake at a complete stop.

So idk 🤷 lol. I think it's something to do with the mds, and auto start stop stuff together. Though I lean more toward the etorque auto start/stop. I've changed the gear fluid nothing abnormal there. Engine mounts are fine. Wot everything shifts like a dream. Trans fluid is a good color. I prefer how the truck handles with the gear selector set at 8 and all the Eco systems off.

If you find anything out please share. I'd prefer to get it fixed if something is wrong, or know what it is specifically. My last one a 2020 with 30k didn't do it so maybe it'll go away on its own. No one that rides with me notices unless I point it out. Which tells me it probably happens a lot an folks don't know. Sorry for the super long reply I hope somehow I've helped!

Edit: you're also correct it does it even in 8th gear so it's not the mds kicking off when the gears change like the dealer thought it might be. I also can't stress enough that I think it's happening in most these trucks. It's just so light they don't feel it. Or they never use the etorque system. As in they use the gear selector every time they put the truck in drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread