5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

train derailed in Ravenne Ohio after leaving Toledo Ohio

SkeeterRAM

Reaction score
Total bummer if your special order was on the train.

Will they be in the "Scratch & Dent" section of a dealer's lot??

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
That's gotta suck. I was working at Boeing when they had a train derail carrying a shipment of plane fuselages.
I can't help but wonder what the insurance bill is on some of these events?

montana-1.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
I'm guessing only Jeeps, from the Toledo plant.
Nothing else really makes sense being on that Railroad line.

RR could care less about Costs. everything, literally Everything is already computed and figured into their shipping rates.
Only thing the RR cares about is:
Getting line open, as fast as possible.
finding someone else to blame other than the RR itself, when teh Govt comes snoping
Ensuring there are NO reportable Injuries due to this occurance.
that;s the biggest one. NO Reportable Injuries.

Doubt it goes anywhere but salvage yard for parts recovery, or more likely, scrape yard for weight.
Whoever they have to clean up derailments will literally move that all that equipment without any regard for the contents.
All of it, no matter aht it is, is nothing more than a hindrance to getting the "LINE" re-opened.

Could explain why but only a RR'er would truly understand and take too long to get across.
Suffice it to say, there are RR cars ,all across the country, that are now being affected, due to this wreck.
From San Fran to Maine.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
That's gotta suck. I was working at Boeing when they had a train derail carrying a shipment of plane fuselages.
I can't help but wonder what the insurance bill is on some of these events?

View attachment 143644

Last I knew, RR's were self insured.
Everything was mostly administered by companies that specialized in individual fields but the RR paid the final tally, at the end of the year. Including the cost of adminstration.
Much cheaper than hiring RR Epployees who are not subject to Work Comp laws but have FELA work place protection. Not to mention, if Union Employee, could potentially have a job, for Life.
Know guys, whose job was bascially abolished. They got paid 75% of their last years wages, to stay home. and that was only because they chose too. If they wished, they could work and RR had to let them. For doing nothing, Literally, nothing.

But, if the guy worked and got hurt. sky's the limit, as regards RR's financial Liability.

Want a good read

google
railroad employee jury awards

first link, guy got 9.4 Million because his boss was mean to him.
Not kidding, read it.

He reported poor track conditions, which by federal mandate are designed to prevent derailments and keep traffic flowing,
this forced a slow order to be placed at that location. Slowing every train, until entire train passed over the spot.

His Boss threatened him. Harassed him. Was a Big Meanie.
Jury gave the poor abused guy $9.4M

Non RR'er is going to read it and go, WTH? Everyone's boss gives them grief.

The level of crap that poor slob had to endure, the stress placed upon him, is something I could never explain, properly.
Just really glad we got FELA Lawyers, who can make it all understandable to Juries.

Imagine if the guy had actual, physical Injuries?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will they be in the "Scratch & Dent" section of a dealer's lot??

I'm guessing only Jeeps, from the Toledo plant.
Nothing else really makes sense being on that Railroad line.
Doubt it goes anywhere but salvage yard for parts recovery, or more likely, scrape yard for weight.......
No scratch & dent sales, but they're not being crushed either.
I'm not sure how much is public record yet so I won't go into too much detail. There were a LOT of Jeeps on board and just about as many F-150's, in addition to the other cargo.
That said though, they're "salvaging" the vehicles. They can't/won't be sold as new vehicles or even repaired and sold as complete vehicles.
The company that won the contract to recover the vehicles went to great lengths to assure they didn't do more damage than necessary when removing them from the rail cars. They used a special truck to lift some of the vehicles out. If you were crushing them, you'd just drag them out of the rail car and not worry about damaging them.
I also know the company that got the salvage. Like the tow company, they're also located in northeast Ohio. They don't have any parts listed on their website yet so I don't know if the railroad has released who got them or not. I do know though, that it is a place that will absolutely part them out.
Lots of essentially new Wrangler and F-150 parts are about to hit the market in Ohio. Hopefully at a great price too, because I'll add a few parts to my Jeep if they do.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, and FWIW, they had that rail repaired and open wicked fast. Still a lot of work needs done along side the track, but it's crazy how fast the railroad works to get trains moving again.

gofishn

Reaction score
No scratch & dent sales, but they're not being crushed either.
I'm not sure how much is public record yet so I won't go into too much detail. There were a LOT of Jeeps on board and just about as many F-150's, in addition to the other cargo.
That said though, they're "salvaging" the vehicles. They can't/won't be sold as new vehicles or even repaired and sold as complete vehicles.
The company that won the contract to recover the vehicles went to great lengths to assure they didn't do more damage than necessary when removing them from the rail cars. They used a special truck to lift some of the vehicles out. If you were crushing them, you'd just drag them out of the rail car and not worry about damaging them.
I also know the company that got the salvage. Like the tow company, they're also located in northeast Ohio. They don't have any parts listed on their website yet so I don't know if the railroad has released who got them or not. I do know though, that it is a place that will absolutely part them out.
Lots of essentially new Wrangler and F-150 parts are about to hit the market in Ohio. Hopefully at a great price too, because I'll add a few parts to my Jeep if they do.

3rd Generation RR'er.
Class 1, Double Mainline, Transcontinental Railroad, Locomotive Engineer, Retired.
I DO know. seen this far too often.

The company that is contracted to clear the derailment will toss that stuff around, like its wet tissue, without regard for saving anything. They got one concern and one concern only, get that line cleared so it can be repaired, as fast as possible and if, at the end of their contract, the Carrier deems they were too slow, someone else will get the next contract.

Once the line is clear, then the Salvage operation can begin, if and only if, such salvage efforts will not affect repairing and re-opening the line.
If some rinky dink line, both operations may be allowed to work, concurrently.

If small case 'Mainline' or, God Forbid, true, dyed in the wool, this is our original super highway, MAINLINE, then that junk could sit there until the Eternity.

Once salvage does begin, yes, those folks will do everything , in their Power ,to insure they maximize Profits.
None of those cars will be sold as complete units.
Not even Salvage Complete units.

Buff forces of a derailment are going to flat out ruin most of that stuff.
Probably save the Interiors, most of the drive trains, but not all.
Some of those drive trains are going to have busted loose from their mounts damaging themselves beyond saving.
Problem with Aluminum Transmission housing and engine blocks versus Iron. That **** tears. Great big chunks.,
Quite a bit of the body metal will be too far gone. Not all of it but a bunch. Save fender here, trunk lid there kind of thing.

#1 reason RR's switched from chains, to straps, for vehicle securement in auto racks, was due to twisted cars from normal train handling buff forces.
Derailments, at speed, are infinitely worse and would cause severe damage to the car, whether it busted lose or not.

Regarding getting the line open quickly.
Per Diem.

Every car, on every train, that is affected by this derailment has a dollar amount, per hour, that is being accessed.
Factor in the congestion caused by having to stall, park, yard trains which were due to go over the affected track but now cannot, o ne begins to realize the importance of getting things up and running again. Can take weeks to achieve fluidity, after a Mainline derailment.

Even fixed, there is going to be a monster slow order on that stretch, until repaired properly, which itself will cause reduction in fluidity and increase Carrier Congestion.
There's that nasty per diem, again.

Oh yeah, the RR can only have a slow order, for so many days or it will incur fines and could lose its class 1 designation. Now, they can change the speed, which buys them time and they will defintely do but, een still, they got to get it fixed because other crap is gong to pop up at other crappy places.

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
....Once the line is clear, then the Salvage operation can begin, if and only if, such salvage efforts will not affect repairing and re-opening the line.
..... .....
Even fixed, there is going to be a monster slow order on that stretch, until repaired properly,....
All interesting information. FWIW, the line is open already, and it was a day or two later. Seriously, those guys work wickedly fast.
Interesting that you mention a monster slow order. I have a friend that lives about 1/4 mile from where the derailment happened. He said the trains are crawling through there now. Not that they used to go particularly fast, but apparently they're creeping. That makes a lot more sense now.

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
....None of those cars will be sold as complete units.
Not even Salvage Complete units.....
Oh yeah, the company that is taking them is certainly not selling them as complete units. Suffice it to say, they're known for selling parts, definitely not whole cars.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
3rd Generation RR'er.
Class 1, Double Mainline, Transcontinental Railroad, Locomotive Engineer, Retired.
I DO know. seen this far too often.

The company that is contracted to clear the derailment will toss that stuff around, like its wet tissue, without regard for saving anything. They got one concern and one concern only, get that line cleared so it can be repaired, as fast as possible and if, at the end of their contract, the Carrier deems they were too slow, someone else will get the next contract.

Once the line is clear, then the Salvage operation can begin, if and only if, such salvage efforts will not affect repairing and re-opening the line.

If small case 'Mainline' or, God Forbid, true, dyed in the wool, this is our original super highway, MAINLINE, then that junk could sit there until the Eternity.

Once salvage does begin, yes, those folks will do everything , in their Power ,to insure they maximize Profits.
None of those cars will be sold as complete units.
Not even Salvage Complete units.

Buff forces of a derailment are going to flat out ruin most of that stuff.
Probably save the Interiors, most of the drive trains, but not all.
Some of those drive trains are going to have busted loose from their mounts damaging themselves beyond saving.
Problem with Aluminum Transmission housing and engine blocks versus Iron. That **** tears. Great big chunks.,
Quite a bit of the body metal will be too far gone. Not all of it but a bunch. Save fender here, trunk lid there kind of thing.

#1 reason RR's switched from chains, to straps, for vehicle securement in auto racks, was due to twisted cars from normal train handling buff forces.
Derailments, at speed, are infinitely worse and would cause severe damage to the car, whether it busted lose or not.

Regarding getting the line open quickly.
Per Diem.

Every car, on every train, that is affected by this derailment has a dollar amount, per hour, that is being accessed.
Factor in the congestion caused by having to stall, park, yard trains which were due to go over the affected track but now cannot, o ne begins to realize the importance of getting things up and running again. Can take weeks to achieve fluidity, after a Mainline derailment.

Even fixed, there is going to be a monster slow order on that stretch, until repaired properly, which itself will cause reduction in fluidity and increase Carrier Congestion.
There's that nasty per diem, again.

Oh yeah, the RR can only have a slow order, for so many days or it will incur fines and could lose its class 1 designation. Now, they can change the speed, which buys them time and they will defintely do but, een still, they got to get it fixed because other crap is gong to pop up at other crappy places.
which is why I have always said if your vehicle was on a train that wrecked it will never arrive and you will get another new one.

Users who are viewing this thread