5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tow Mirrors...?

Shark875

Reaction score
So I have a 1500 Limited 4x4 on order. 6'4'' bed with Trailer Tow Group (B) and a few options that will probably put my payload somewhere around 1200lbs.

I'm looking at travel trailers in the 20-26ft exterior length range, with widths between 7 and 8 feet and dry weights under 5k lbs. My specific question here is, do I really need tow mirrors?

I didn't get the factory ones as I had done some research (here in this forum and elsewhere) that tells me the stock mirrors stick out pretty far and will cover you well enough for trailers under 30 feet, and less than 9 feet wide. But, I wanted to ask more formerly what you all think.

It seems like if I have a trailer that's 8 feet wide and 24 feet long (the most common size of the trailers I'm narrowed down to) that I'll be fine. Thoughts?
Honestly if I were ordering I would definitely add the tow mirrors to the bill. I think it's only a additional $200, my 2010 had these and that's the one thing I miss. I have 20ft boat and the small little bubble in the corner is just not sufficient for towing. I mean it's definitely hard to get used to the smaller style mirrors but dang the tow mirrors are hard to beat. if ordering get what you want now. my advice

Ratchet

Reaction score
I also tow an 8ft travel trailer. My factory mirrors with the small convex did OK at best. I also have observation cameras which make a world of difference. I went with the Boost Auto flip up mirrors with manual flip up, but power fold. Couldn't be happier. I can see for days behind the camper now.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You and Hemijake both mention the trailer camera. If there's one thing I regret not ordering on my truck, it's the Mopar trailer camera wiring. Do ya'll know if that can be added post-factory? Or am I stuck with an aftermarket hook-up and second monitor at this point?
My trailer camera's monitor fits pretty nicely in the cubby on the top of the dash with the 12V plug right beside it.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
Honestly if I were ordering I would definitely add the tow mirrors to the bill. I think it's only a additional $200, my 2010 had these and that's the one thing I miss. I have 20ft boat and the small little bubble in the corner is just not sufficient for towing. I mean it's definitely hard to get used to the smaller style mirrors but dang the tow mirrors are hard to beat. if ordering get what you want now. my advice
They are superior to anything else, but having had this type https://www.americantrucks.com/prod...0730&showFeed=True&customerpics=false&index=0 on my 2015, they were pretty darn good, look OEM to anyone not having a Ram and pretty easy to take off and on... AND, once you take them off, you are less likely to lose your mirrors to some unfortunate accident.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the programming and all that and what it would take to add it. You might be able to, but it's likely quite involved. I have the second monitor, aftermarket style camera. It fills the purpose fine. Got it on amazon for 100 bucks or so. Much better price than the furrion model the dealer tries to sell you. I put the monitor ( it's a 7 inch, I think) up on the cubby above the radio and plug it into the 12v next to it. Fits like a glove. I'll try to remember to get a picture tomorrow when I'm hooked up. When I'm not hooked up, it goes in the cabinet just inside the camper. If you go this route, just remember your headlights have to be on to complete the circuit and make it work. The camera runs off of the trailer's parking light wiring.
Hey, was wondering if you ever took that pic of your camera monitor set up…

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, was wondering if you ever took that pic of your camera monitor set up…
Hey sorry about that, I got busy and forgot all about it. I left by 0600 Friday morning and was at the race track all weekend with the family. I grabbed a quick one last night on the way home. If you have any other questions, let me know.

IMG_6296[105].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online