5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tow Mirrors...?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a 1500 Limited 4x4 on order. 6'4'' bed with Trailer Tow Group (B) and a few options that will probably put my payload somewhere around 1200lbs.

I'm looking at travel trailers in the 20-26ft exterior length range, with widths between 7 and 8 feet and dry weights under 5k lbs. My specific question here is, do I really need tow mirrors?

I didn't get the factory ones as I had done some research (here in this forum and elsewhere) that tells me the stock mirrors stick out pretty far and will cover you well enough for trailers under 30 feet, and less than 9 feet wide. But, I wanted to ask more formerly what you all think.

It seems like if I have a trailer that's 8 feet wide and 24 feet long (the most common size of the trailers I'm narrowed down to) that I'll be fine. Thoughts?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My trailer is 8 feet wide. The stock mirrors are adequate but I‘d like more mirror on the passenger side.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My trailer is 8 feet wide. The stock mirrors are adequate but I‘d like more mirror on the passenger side.
How long is it? And how much does that really affect it?

I've read it's actually more about the width of the trailer than the length...

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How long is it? And how much does that really affect it?

I've read it's actually more about the width of the trailer than the length...
Yes it’s the width that matters more as you are trying to see around the trailer.

Get an observation camera if you want to see behind the trailer. Most new campers come prepped for one

I’ve had two, 31’ and now 33’

Redfour5

Reaction score
So I have a 1500 Limited 4x4 on order. 6'4'' bed with Trailer Tow Group (B) and a few options that will probably put my payload somewhere around 1200lbs.

I'm looking at travel trailers in the 20-26ft exterior length range, with widths between 7 and 8 feet and dry weights under 5k lbs. My specific question here is, do I really need tow mirrors?

I didn't get the factory ones as I had done some research (here in this forum and elsewhere) that tells me the stock mirrors stick out pretty far and will cover you well enough for trailers under 30 feet, and less than 9 feet wide. But, I wanted to ask more formerly what you all think.

It seems like if I have a trailer that's 8 feet wide and 24 feet long (the most common size of the trailers I'm narrowed down to) that I'll be fine. Thoughts?
On a seven foot wide unit you will NOT need tow mirrors. I'd at least get some of the nice aftermarket tow mirrors that attach without blocking lights and almost look like OEM to anyone unfamiliar. They don't interfere with the power elements either including folding or adjustment. I had a pair on my 2015 and they were great for towing. On my 2021, I have the tow mirrors. I gotta admit I love them and they are pretty easy to flip up. They DO stick out though and I'm figuring at some point, one will get taken out in a parking lot. The power folding "regular" mirrors are EASY to get on most any 1500 but the power FOLDING tow mirrors are NOT easy to get except on certain trim levels... So, in retrospect, and I have an 8 foot wide trailer, the OEM manual folding tow mirrors are wonderful while towing. They are a bit of a pain otherwise. I did like having the ability to power fold my regular mirrors even when the aftermarket tow mirrors were attached. They did a good job. I'm ambivalent right now as if I had a choice which way I would go. For towing an 8 foot wide travel trailer, the OEM tow mirrors are superior to after market, but not having the power folding is an issue AND you really have to get out to fold them in manually is my experience. There have been a few parking lots where I decided to manually fold them in... As I write about this, I'm starting to lean toward getting the regular mirrors power folding vs the manual fold tow mirrors. But I got what I got. I must admit though that from a blind spot point of view (get it), the tow mirrors make blind spot monitoring unnecessary. On my 2015, I don'' know how many times I almost moved over into someone. The new regular mirrors do have that blind spot mirror though. See, still ambivalent.

So, IF you can get the power folding tow mirrors, I'd go that way. If not, it is a matter of choice. The aftermarket ones do a good job and come off easy after the trip. The OEM manual folding tow mirrors are awesome...while towing...with a few issues when not towing (can you say elephant ears). You makes your choices AND be careful, the literature including stickers are NOT crystal clear staing boldly "POWER" tow mirrors and then in smaller print saying "manual fold."

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got them and am towing an 8' wide trailer. I did not realize until the dealer showed me when picking it up, that they rotate to the vertical position. I like them and for me, more visibility is better. The fact that they (and maybe the regular ones?) can detect your trailer blind spot is handy, but I'm not accustomed to that feature yet. In regular driving, I'm still a "look over the shoulder" driver rather than trusting the blind spot monitor. Also, I try to keep track of who's around me.

The camera on the back of the trailer is nice to have too.

Goldsy

Reaction score
My trailer is 8 feet wide, 26 feet long. I got a set of mirrors on Amazon that clip on to the Ram folding power mirrors perfectly. I’m in Canada but I’ll see if I can find an American Amazon link.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got them and am towing an 8' wide trailer. I did not realize until the dealer showed me when picking it up, that they rotate to the vertical position. I like them and for me, more visibility is better. The fact that they (and maybe the regular ones?) can detect your trailer blind spot is handy, but I'm not accustomed to that feature yet. In regular driving, I'm still a "look over the shoulder" driver rather than trusting the blind spot monitor. Also, I try to keep track of who's around me.

Yeah, see part of what I was thinking here is that the BSM would help out there. I've had that on my last two vehicles so I've been driving with it for 8 years and it's a must-have for me at this point. I still check over my shoulder of course, but with the BSM, I'll signal *first*, and then check. If it beeps, I don't even look, I just wait a few seconds; if it doesn't beep again, then I check to make sure I'm clear.

I was definitely concerned about how far the tow mirrors would stick out. This is also my daily driver, and where I park at work, and other places as well, they would definitely get in the way. I think some aftermarket clip-ons, like Goldsy linked, would do nicely. I'll only be towing the travel trailer maybe 3 or 4 times a year so it'll be nice to be able to slap those on there on those few occasions, and have just the regular-sized mirrors the rest of the time.

DJO

Reaction score

I have a 27' overall length, 8' wide Lance travel trailer and the stock mirrors on my '19 Laramie are more than adequate. I also have a rear camera on the TT. Every time I go through a drive through I am so thankful that I don't have the tow mirrors.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wired a camera on the back of mine. I don't have tow mirrors. I wouldn't say tow mirrors are necessary, just depends on your preference. I get away just find with using the small blind spot mirrors for navigating corners through town, etc. My dad is a seasoned trailering veteran that swears by tow mirrors, but he was super impressed with the camera.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 27' overall length, 8' wide Lance travel trailer and the stock mirrors on my '19 Laramie are more than adequate. I also have a rear camera on the TT. Every time I go through a drive through I am so thankful that I don't have the tow mirrors.
You and Hemijake both mention the trailer camera. If there's one thing I regret not ordering on my truck, it's the Mopar trailer camera wiring. Do ya'll know if that can be added post-factory? Or am I stuck with an aftermarket hook-up and second monitor at this point?

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You and Hemijake both mention the trailer camera. If there's one thing I regret not ordering on my truck, it's the Mopar trailer camera wiring. Do ya'll know if that can be added post-factory? Or am I stuck with an aftermarket hook-up and second monitor at this point?
I'm not sure on the programming and all that and what it would take to add it. You might be able to, but it's likely quite involved. I have the second monitor, aftermarket style camera. It fills the purpose fine. Got it on amazon for 100 bucks or so. Much better price than the furrion model the dealer tries to sell you. I put the monitor ( it's a 7 inch, I think) up on the cubby above the radio and plug it into the 12v next to it. Fits like a glove. I'll try to remember to get a picture tomorrow when I'm hooked up. When I'm not hooked up, it goes in the cabinet just inside the camper. If you go this route, just remember your headlights have to be on to complete the circuit and make it work. The camera runs off of the trailer's parking light wiring.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I have a 33’ x8’ wide trailer and would not tow without the moose antlers (tow mirrors). So far I have just under 5,000km on my 2021 and 1900kms of towing, so I may tow more than most. If you have the option I would go for the power fold tow mirrors, not the power trailer manual fold mirrors and forget the standard non-trailer mirrors. Just my thoughts as the standard mirrors do not do well and leave a massive blind spot for anything over a 20’ trailer that is impossible to see with a shoulder check.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 33’ x8’ wide trailer and would not tow without the moose antlers (tow mirrors). So far I have just under 5,000km on my 2021 and 1900kms of towing, so I may tow more than most. If you have the option I would go for the power fold tow mirrors, not the power trailer manual fold mirrors and forget the standard non-trailer mirrors. Just my thoughts as the standard mirrors do not do well and leave a massive blind spot for anything over a 20’ trailer that is impossible to see with a shoulder check.
Well, my order is already placed and in D, would be kind of mess to cancel and redo at this point, not to mention the extra wait on top of what will probably already be extended wait. Think I will get those clip-on extenders, just to make sure.

Honestly, I thought I did enough research and knew enough before I ordered, but I should have been here on this forum first, I would have had a more complete set-up.

Honestly, I won't be towing all that often, or probably all that far, at least not at first. So I'm thinking if I end up wanting and being able to tow more often, and me and my family likes it enough, then I will trade in after a couple years and get a 2500 with all of the options I've learned about here.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend the clip on extensions, if you want one get the molded kind that slides over the mirror.

Redfour5

Reaction score

Mine didn't work last trip...grrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online