5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tow Mirrors vs Power Fold

schoppy

Reaction score
I just ordered a Laramie. 1st Ram after 3 F-150s. Found this thread searching on power folding mirrors because I don't know what I am really getting. I specifically did not order the Trailer Tow Package for exactly the same reason: I wanted the 360 camera. I did get the Electronic Brake Controller so really the only difference with the package is the tow mirrors. I ordered the Sport Appearance so I still don't know if it will be Power Fold or not because it was the Sport Appearance Package that had the description "Power-Heated Mirrors with Manual Fold-Away ". I see stuff on the internet suggesting Laramie's have power fold. I really hope I did not lose this nice feature just because my mirrors are painted instead of chrome. Maybe a typo on the website? BTW: you can get 360 camera with 8.4 screen but you can't get it with the tow mirrors. I figure that blind spot mirror will help some.
I am ordering a Limited and am trying to decide between the tow mirrors and the power fold with 360 camera. Adding the towing package is actually a little cheaper than leaving the stock mirrors on and just adding a brake controller. The convenience package price changes if you select the towing package because you loose the power fold and 360 surround camera. The stock mirror glass actually sticks out a little further than the towing mirror glass (non fish eye part of the glass) from the truck until you fold out the towing mirrors. I called CIPA (after-market manufacturers of add-on towing mirrors) and they said they are working on the new Ram mirrors but are not out yet. A pair of these clip on after-market mirrors should be about $75 or less judging from their other offerings. I have had these on other trucks and they work very well. I believe I will be staying with the stock power folding/360 surround mirrors and getting the add-ons when available.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I am ordering a Limited and am trying to decide between the tow mirrors and the power fold with 360 camera. Adding the towing package is actually a little cheaper than leaving the stock mirrors on and just adding a brake controller. The convenience package price changes if you select the towing package because you loose the power fold and 360 surround camera. The stock mirror glass actually sticks out a little further than the towing mirror glass (non fish eye part of the glass) from the truck until you fold out the towing mirrors. I called CIPA (after-market manufacturers of add-on towing mirrors) and they said they are working on the new Ram mirrors but are not out yet. A pair of these clip on after-market mirrors should be about $75 or less judging from their other offerings. I have had these on other trucks and they work very well. I believe I will be staying with the stock power folding/360 surround mirrors and getting the add-ons when available.
Good choice. Giving up just the power fold should be enough to sway the argument. But the 360 cameras are the best thing ever for a vehicle so big.

Dalekoven

Reaction score
Trailer tow mirrors
Found a few trucks - one identical to my order. Only difference is it has the "Trailer Tow Package" vs the "Trailer Brake Controller" that I ordered. So for an extra $5 it has the non power folding - trailer tow mirrors (and I received pictures of it when it landed, still wrapped in plastic).
I've yet to have the trailer tow mirrors on any pickup I've owned - nor have I had them power fold. To me, the power folding mirrors seem more versatile (when going through the car wash) than the bigger trailer tow mirrors. What's everyone's thoughts on these?

Trailer tow mirrors are also not heated!

gencon

Reaction score
If the tow mirrors are the same as the heavy duty trucks why isn’t there a power fold on the half ton tow mirrors?
It is pretty ridiculous that the half ton limited tow mirrors are manual fold but the heavy duty trucks have power folding on longhorn and limited. Same darn mirrors

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is pretty ridiculous that the half ton limited tow mirrors are manual fold but the heavy duty trucks have power folding on longhorn and limited. Same darn mirrors

Based on comments I've read here, the Heavy Duty trucks are 4th gen cabs.. not at all the same.

Ashields85

Reaction score
I saw some OEM tow mirrors for sale on eBay so I enquired about the power fold. $460 per side! Plus the truck has to be flashed.

Needless to say - I'll be waiting for my build versus buying the one on the ground and swapping mirrors.

FWIW, the OEM tow mirrors can be had for $400.

$460 per side programming or $460 per mirror?

Spydie

Reaction score
Here's the latest news on getting your tow mirrors to work properly (not power-fold, but just changing your stock mirrors to tow mirrors). I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Tradesman. I bought aftermarket tow mirrors off Amazon, black on the back, not chrome. I installed them easily (the long bolt on the inside bolt that was hitting the door jam and needed to be cut off, was already shortened on this version. I guess they learned their lesson). Of course the puddle light and turn signal didn't work. I took it to the dealer and they programmed the LED and LEC code (puddle light and turn signal). But, when I turned them to vertical position, the controls were off 90 degrees (left/right made them go up/down, etc). So I scrounged around on the internet and some place (I forget where) I found there is one more code, LEG, which controls the movement when they go to vertical. Everyone on the forum said that only worked on OEM mirrors, not aftermarket. And nobody, not even the tech at the dealer, knows what triggers the change. Someone suggested mercury switches in the mirrors, but we know that's not correct because the EPA got rid of mercury switches many years ago. Anyway, for those of you that want to try it, the LEG code does work on my aftermarket mirrors. The tech said maybe not all aftermarket mirrors would work, but you have to have all three codes to get these mirrors to work properly. My cost to program was $129 (very expensive in my book for something that took literally 15 minutes maximum.)

Users who are viewing this thread