5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Toad

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Riding down the freeway this morning, we passed an RV pulling a pretty big toy hauler. I was in the passenger seat (wife's car) so as we went by I noticed a dolly between the two. No, not a little girl's toy, but an axle not unlike the ones truckers use to turn a semitrailer into a drawbar trailer. It happened too fast to get a picture.

Anyway, I did some googling and discovered it's called a Trailer Toad.

I never saw one before today, so I have no idea if they work well or if they're legal without a commercial license or what, but it did look like a solution for all the people here who find themselves fighting the battle of tongue weight versus load capacity. A picture I found online:

img_1489326_0_08241ab3738af25e14c0e02023243f8d.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am actually surprised these have not skyrocketed in popularity.

I have seen them for towing 5th wheels also.

Just scares me as that means people will tow even bigger...and 2 more tires to blow

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am actually surprised these have not skyrocketed in popularity.

I have seen them for towing 5th wheels also.

Just scares me as that means people will tow even bigger...and 2 more tires to blow
These look like a great idea.

However, I’m curious about how these are “sprung”…as that axle location means a very short fulcrum to the hitch, which would put a lot of stress on said hitch if you hit a significant bump.

Maybe someone with firsthand experience can chime in…

DomW

Reaction score
I wonder how this Toad changes the backing up handling. Like making a sharp turn backing into a driveway? Would the wheels drag sideways or are they like caster wheels?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first reaction was: wow, that’s cool.
After I read all the stuff on their website, and a couple Utubes, I’m not sure anybody other than motorcoach owners should consider this.

Here are a number of additional risk factors introduced.
- serious side loading of the receiver. So much so, they basically say you should run their stabilizer bars to avoid “stretching out” your receiver opening.
- significant sway risk, if not perfectly set up, esp if you add the rear extension so you can make wide turns
- lack of DOT or any other cert. Not that it’s necessary, just reflects the fact tnat all their testing is done by their and their customers use.
- backing is complicated, no matter what they say about how well the Dual Reverse Pins lock the axle to the tow vehicle.
- the axle width is the result of a no-win compromise: narrow is good for turns and bad for stability. Wide is good for stability and bad for turns.

Bottom line: I bet there are one or two specific uses cases that justify all the kludges needed to make it work, but I wouldn’t want one. Nor would I want to be the Toad manufacturer’s liability insurer. Somebody’s gonna die from this, and then the Toad is toast.

Users who are viewing this thread