5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Surround View Camera System

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Long story. Ordered 23 Limited Elite edition. When building, there is the option for " trailer camera wiring prep package " for $590. At the bottom of build, there is " trailer surround view camera system "for $1,095. The expensive part, is the part that goes on the trailer, with 4 cameras, harnesses, and a control module. The $590 prep, is the harness and connector on the truck. When you click prep package, the price goes up $590. As soon as you add level 1, or elite packages, it removes camera prep. Since it is basically 2 ft of wire, and the plug at the end, the salesman said, it must be part of those packages, like something else in those package caaused a different harness, including it. There is no information anywhere I can find about the system. I found one sentence in the owners manual, that says plug in 12 pin connector. There is no picture of connector, and no available Youtubes showing it. Dealer tried telling me it works through 7 pin, and the truck has it, it just won't turn on in dash, until I hook up a trailer. Lie. Now I am told the option is not available at this time, it will be late availability. If that is the case, I will wait and reorder. I really want that system, because I have to back a pontoon boat that is 8.5 ft wide, and 35 ft long from tongue to prop, into a garage. ( long Trailer for 24 ft boat, with outboard hanging off back.) Does anybody have a clue about this system? Is it possible to get the prep harness from parts and add to existing plug on truck? I want plug and play, and not cutting a harness.:ROFLMAO:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Long story. Ordered 23 Limited Elite edition. When building, there is the option for " trailer camera wiring prep package " for $590. At the bottom of build, there is " trailer surround view camera system "for $1,095. The expensive part, is the part that goes on the trailer, with 4 cameras, harnesses, and a control module. The $590 prep, is the harness and connector on the truck. When you click prep package, the price goes up $590. As soon as you add level 1, or elite packages, it removes camera prep. Since it is basically 2 ft of wire, and the plug at the end, the salesman said, it must be part of those packages, like something else in those package caaused a different harness, including it. There is no information anywhere I can find about the system. I found one sentence in the owners manual, that says plug in 12 pin connector. There is no picture of connector, and no available Youtubes showing it. Dealer tried telling me it works through 7 pin, and the truck has it, it just won't turn on in dash, until I hook up a trailer. Lie. Now I am told the option is not available at this time, it will be late availability. If that is the case, I will wait and reorder. I really want that system, because I have to back a pontoon boat that is 8.5 ft wide, and 35 ft long from tongue to prop, into a garage. ( long Trailer for 24 ft boat, with outboard hanging off back.) Does anybody have a clue about this system? Is it possible to get the prep harness from parts and add to existing plug on truck? I want plug and play, and not cutting a harness.:ROFLMAO:
Those are two separate features. The camera prep is for the 2 auxiliary trailer cameras.
The trailer surround view is different, and when ordered, already includes the wiring on the truck with the 12-way connector.
You can’t have both of those options at the same time.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
Those are two separate features. The camera prep is for the 2 auxiliary trailer cameras.
The trailer surround view is different, and when ordered, already includes the wiring on the truck with the 12-way connector.
You have both of those options at the same time.
The problem is, They are saying they can't order it. Until broken_vet just posted the picture, I couldn't even find one. So if they order the $1,000 option, does it come with the trailer camera kit, and then add the wiring to the truck? From the pictures of the kit, I don't see the truck wiring in the kit.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
You can’t have both of those options at the same time.
Two dealers have told me neither package can be ordered with Limited 1, or Elite packages. They don't know why.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Two dealers have told me neither package can be ordered with Limited 1, or Elite packages. They don't know why.
Yeah, I don’t think the trailer surround view is available for the HD Rams right now either.

6of36

Reaction score
That's all I can assume, is there must be parts shortages, so not available right now. From seeing your other posts, you seem to be the electrical genius. If I accepted the truck without it, can the harness be easily added? Is there a connector there, being the truck has standard surround? If I can do a plug in upgrade, then program, I might buy the one at the dealer. If not, I will wait until it's available, and reorder.

Users who are viewing this thread