5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer screen functionality

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there anything that needs to be done to get the trailer screen menu in the driver cluster to register you are towing? Does it only register if you use the TBC? The blind spot recognizes the trailer. In my old Ferd it was straight forward.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there anything that needs to be done to get the trailer screen menu in the driver cluster to register you are towing? Does it only register if you use the TBC? The blind spot recognizes the trailer. In my old Ferd it was straight forward.
Mine is automatic as soon as trailer is hooked up! Not sure I turned anything on in settings, but maybe I did?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Taking to dealer tomorrow to get checked out, along with a couple other small things.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your using the 4-flat plug, it will not count towing miles.

The trailer trip odometer only records with the 7-way/brake controller

bpwj76

Reaction score
If your using the 4-flat plug, it will not count towing miles.

The trailer trip odometer only records with the 7-way/brake controller
Mine does. I just went and checked and when I select "Utility" trailer in the main screen menu, it shows I've towed my 4-flat plug utility trailer 23.7 miles. My "Travel" trailer selected shows 5031.8 miles.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does. I just went and checked and when I select "Utility" trailer in the main screen menu, it shows I've towed my 4-flat plug utility trailer 23.7 miles. My "Travel" trailer selected shows 5031.8 miles.
You might be on to something there. Apparently I only had my travel trailer setup in #1, and 2/3/4 were blank. I’ll have to try that next time I use a 4-flat

bpwj76

Reaction score
I should have made it clear that I renamed Trailer 1 "Travel" and Trailer 2 "Utility". Just in case a noob goes in to the menu looking for those trailer names and all they see is 1 2 3 4 and they think they need a trip to the dealer. :ROFLMAO:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

where does it show you the towed miles per trailer in the menu?

I don’t see any reading in 12” trailer settings screen, only on the dashboard trip odometer

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a 4 way plugged into a 7 way adapter. It has never recorded towing miles.

Took to dealer today. The tech tried to research it and didn't find much, but said it only records mileage with a trailer that has electric brakes. But in the 8.4" screen menu under trailer brake one of the settings for the trailer options is for no brakes. Hmmm...

I have tried updating the trailer name to "boat" or "utility" with the 7 pin adapter plugged in (not actually towing), with no towing mileage recorded.

Not sure what to do.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use a 4 way plugged into a 7 way adapter. It has never recorded towing miles.

Took to dealer today. The tech tried to research it and didn't find much, but said it only records mileage with a trailer that has electric brakes. But in the 8.4" screen menu under trailer brake one of the settings for the trailer options is for no brakes. Hmmm...

I have tried updating the trailer name to "boat" or "utility" with the 7 pin adapter plugged in (not actually towing), with no towing mileage recorded.

Not sure what to do.
The 4 pin trailer connector can not possibly record trailer miles. Those 4 circuits are completely disassociated from the trailer brake module. The electric brake feed circuit on the 7 pin connector is the only wire that goes to the trailer brake module. Once the trailer module detects resistance on this circuit, the module will communicate to the instrument cluster via canbus to start recording mileage for that particular trailer.

Last edited:

bpwj76

Reaction score
I just realized (or remembered doing this is more like it) my mistake after reading your replies. I had my TT hooked up to the truck via 7-pin and towed for a short distance (23.7 miles) when I realized I had Trailer 2 (Utility) selected in the menu screen. So it recorded those miles under the wrong trailer, because I forgot to change it back to Trailer 1 (Travel) when I set out on a camping trip. I remember now saying to my wife how I had the wrong trailer selected in the trailer towing menu.

Sorry for the confusion, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread