5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer reverse steering retrofit?

chuck01835

Reaction score
Anyone attempt to add trailer reverse steering as a diy add on?

Thanks Chuck

U

User_18352

I'm wondering the same thing. My 2022 Limited didn't come with the brake controller or any of the other tow goodies. While getting a factory brake controller is easy enough I'm interested in finding out how hard it would be to get the rest of the tow package upgrade after the fact.

Kilroy

Reaction score
Following, I have the Tach group and brake control and would like the add it.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the time or money. I have the reverse steering on my 2021 Laramie, and to say it is glitchy is an understatement. When it works, it does a great job, but it almost NEVER works! It worked the first couple times I tried it, but then it started to tell me to calibrate the system. No matter how often, or how many times, it is calibrated, it still says to calibrate. Do some searching and you will see that this is a common problem. I don't even try to use it anymore, and have just learned to back it on my own.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the time or money. I have the reverse steering on my 2021 Laramie, and to say it is glitchy is an understatement. When it works, it does a great job, but it almost NEVER works! It worked the first couple times I tried it, but then it started to tell me to calibrate the system. No matter how often, or how many times, it is calibrated, it still says to calibrate. Do some searching and you will see that this is a common problem. I don't even try to use it anymore, and have just learned to back it on my own.
Totally agree. Don’t waste your time.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I don't know if the Trailer TPMS system would be a part of adding that after the fact but I just had to have my Trailer TPMS wiring harness replaced and they had to replace the full body length wiring harness. So if that harness wasn't already installed it might be a pain in the *** because it took the guy all day to fish the harness in/out of the frame to run it back to the back of the truck. I don't know if RAM uses different harnesses. I can check the part numbers (if I remember) when I get out of work.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if the Trailer TPMS system would be a part of adding that after the fact but I just had to have my Trailer TPMS wiring harness replaced and they had to replace the full body length wiring harness. So if that harness wasn't already installed it might be a pain in the *** because it took the guy all day to fish the harness in/out of the frame to run it back to the back of the truck. I don't know if RAM uses different harnesses. I can check the part numbers (if I remember) when I get out of work.
The trailer reverse steering wiring is all contained to just the instrument panel harness, and the connectors should already be present on all 2021-2022’s (aside from having to rearrange the rear camera cable from the radio to the trailer steer module).
Following, I have the Tach group and brake control and would like the add it.
Adding the parts is pretty straightforward. You would need the trailer steering module, and the lower switch bank with the steering knob. The connectors that plug into them should be taped back in the center dash. You would need two short universal fakra coax cables to rearrange the rear camera cable that is currently plugged into the radio.
Programming it to work is the issue. The settings to enable it aren’t in AlfaOBD. It *could* be possible for the dealer to do it, but you would need to convince the tech to do something unconventional with their scan tool:
- First, you would find the VIN of a truck as close as possible to having all the features of your truck PLUS trailer reverse steering.
- Use AlfaOBD to make a copy of your current BCM settings.
- Tell the tech to restore your vehicle configuration to that VIN (it’s possible to do this by manually entering the VIN when the ignition is off).
- Once that is done, use AlfaOBD to go back in and change any other differences in features between your truck and the VIN you used back to what they were.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
The trailer reverse steering wiring is all contained to just the instrument panel harness, and the connectors should already be present on all 2021-2022’s (aside from having to rearrange the rear camera cable from the radio to the trailer steer module).

Adding the parts is pretty straightforward. You would need the trailer steering module, and the lower switch bank with the steering knob. The connectors that plug into them should be taped back in the center dash. You would need two short universal fakra coax cables to rearrange the rear camera cable that is currently plugged into the radio.
Programming it to work is the issue. The settings to enable it aren’t in AlfaOBD. It *could* be possible for the dealer to do it, but you would need to convince the tech to do something unconventional with their scan tool:
- First, you would find the VIN of a truck as close as possible to having all the features of your truck PLUS trailer reverse steering.
- Use AlfaOBD to make a copy of your current BCM settings.
- Tell the tech to restore your vehicle configuration to that VIN (it’s possible to do this by manually entering the VIN when the ignition is off).
- Once that is done, use AlfaOBD to go back in and change any other differences in features between your truck and the VIN you used back to what they were.
Checking to see if anyone actually did this install? I have the parts but I am don't see any instructions where to mount the module and it looks like I don't have the plug for the control module. I do for the knob. I also want to be sure I route the camera cables correctly.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
  • Trailer Steering Knob – link to part numbers – your configuration and options may vary.
    • Disconnect negative battery cable
      • Locate two wiring harnesses already present in your vehicle:
      • Trailer Steering Button. I found mine taped up behind center stack, you may have to remove radio control unit to find it.
      • Trailer Steering Control Module – I found mine taped up on glove box side of center stack.
      • Route FAKRA cable – with 2 female ends, link to part from Amazon https://a.co/d/6HLx8zx to the red port on module to red port behind radio (you will have to remove red cable already attached to radio,
      • Route the FAKRA cable with one female end and one male end. Link to the part on Amazonhttps://a.co/d/1zSj7Wv. The male end will plug into the red cable you removed and the female end will plug into the orange port of the control module,
      • Mount the control module on the metal support on the glove box side of the center stack.
      • Install a cabin filter if you purchased one at this time.
      • Reassemble all items
      • Reattach negative battery cable
      • Then you’ll enable this setting in AlfaOBD:
        TRSCM Tri-State Comfort Climate Module.
        It is not described correctly, as it should say Trailer Reverse Steering Control Module.

• I hope this helps anyone trying to add this capability to their vehicle. I wanted it to help my wife have more confidence operating the vehicle at the boat ramp and there is one boat ramp that we launch that is very long that I may even use it at.

Attachments

• TRSC Module Install.jpeg
    TRSC Module Install.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Trailer Steering Knob Plug.jpeg
    Trailer Steering Knob Plug.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 29
  • TRSCM Plug.jpeg
    TRSCM Plug.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Trailer Steering Plug - Glove Box Removed.pdf
    989.2 KB · Views: 11

igolfdou18

Reaction score
I finally had time to get my trailer out of storage so I could install the TPMS modules in the trailer tires I completed the module installs last weekend. I tried the trailer reverse steering for the first time and received a message saying it was unavailable. I used AlphaOBD to troubleshoot. I returned this error U11E8. The fault is related to EPS Steering Torque Message. Anyone have any experience with that? @Jimmy07 - Have you seen this before?

Attachments

• Fault for Trailer Steering Module.jpg
    Fault for Trailer Steering Module.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 12

igolfdou18

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully completed this upgrade? I was receiving the U11E8 fault. I checked the connection on the EPS module like the technical document from FCA. Everything looked good on the connection to the EPS unit. I I used AlphaOBD to see if the EPS had any faults. NOTHING! I ordered a new module. I had originally purchased a used one. No change. still getting the same fault. I inspected the pins on the module , the trailer steering button and the connectors. Everything looked good. I wonder if I should try replacing the the trailer steering button? I wonder if there is another setting that I need to make in Alpha OBD other than enabling the TRSCM module. Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide? I am out of options.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
Here is the technical document I found on the U11E8 fault.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.PNG
    IMG_0958.PNG
    146.8 KB · Views: 16

dojofo

Reaction score
Did you ever find the cause of the EPS dtc. Was it do to the reverse steering add on. Or something not set/configuration, or non related. I am thinking about also doing the retro fit, any info would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread