5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Load Question

Brockb10

Reaction score
Been reading through here and other sites and still have some (probably stupid) questions on towing a trailer. This is my first truck and first time towing so trying to really understand before attempting to tow anything.

Situation: I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x2 (sticker with features attached for context) with some towing features and a Class IV receiver hitch . I am planning a trip to go pick up floor tile about 320 miles away (5.5hrs each way, 640 total miles). All the tile I’m getting will weigh about 2400lbs. Knowing that the tile is too heavy to just put in the bed of the truck, I am considering renting a Uhaul 6x12 (specs attached) utility trailer to attach for the trip and load the tile on the trailer.

To the experienced towers out there, do you think the 6x12 with the 2400lb load in it, attached to my truck will be fine for the trip? Trailer will be empty for the first 320miles and then full for the return 320 miles.

Also, does anyone have a good recommendation a heavy duty/ quality hitch/ball mount to buy that would manage this load and possibly heavier in the future. Will pay for quality.

GVWR is 6900lbs

Thank you in advance for any help y’all can give.

2a7bc9d2f2e7bbfd8a58777151e57429.jpg

0119376f4c65f9c5c7975bd069fa03b8.jpg

Last edited:

Nukegm426

Reaction score
It’ll be fine. Load everything front to back in an even layer keeping and partial layers towards the front. You’ve got to keep some tongue weight on it or it’ll do bad things going down the road.

kittyjo

Reaction score
B&w are good hitches be sure to check ball hitch size on the trailer. They come with 2 sizes 2” and 2 5/16” ... U got plenty of wiggle room that is a very light load if u truly have the 3.92 lol it will feel like nothin is back there!!!

Brockb10

Reaction score
It’ll be fine. Load everything front to back in an even layer keeping and partial layers towards the front. You’ve got to keep some tongue weight on it or it’ll do bad things going down the road.

So when it’s empty on the way there, should I get some bags of concrete or something to just put on the trailer so it doesn’t go crazy back there? Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brockb10

Reaction score
B&w are good hitches be sure to check ball hitch size on the trailer. They come with 2 sizes 2” and 2 5/16” ... U got plenty of wiggle room that is a very light load if u truly have the 3.92 lol it will feel like nothin is back there!!!

Thanks for the reply, I’ll look into those hitches and call Uhaul to get the ball hitch size. And I think I have the 3.92 haha that’s what it says on the sticker with my VIN

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The trailer will tow just fine empty. When loaded you need to load the front with 60% of the weight and the rear with 40%. I believe this is right on the trailer...at least it is on the enclosed ones.

You will need a 2 inch ball. Probably won't need a drop for the u haul...but you may if you end up with your own trailer.

Most 2 inch ball mounts will be for 5000lbs and 500 tongue. Get a 7500lb ball though. Just a few dollars more.

I bought a 30 dollar adjustable hitch at wally world for towing unknown trailers...it has worked fine towing jeeps and cars.
20200608_193350.jpg

Good luck with the trip...you have rhe perfect truck for it.

Brockb10

Reaction score
The trailer will tow just fine empty. When loaded you need to load the front with 60% of the weight and the rear with 40%. I believe this is right on the trailer...at least it is on the enclosed ones.

You will need a 2 inch ball. Probably won't need a drop for the u haul...but you may if you end up with your own trailer.

Most 2 inch ball mounts will be for 5000lbs and 500 tongue. Get a 7500lb ball though. Just a few dollars more.

I bought a 30 dollar adjustable hitch at wally world for towing unknown trailers...it has worked fine towing jeeps and cars.
View attachment 71175

Good luck with the trip...you have rhe perfect truck for it.

Appreciate the detailed response!

Users who are viewing this thread