5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Light Check Option?

Oden

Reaction score
Have a Silverado now with the trailer light check option and love it. Jumping ship to Ram and I know this option is offered. However, I don't need/want the little reverse steering knob that comes with the trailer tow group. Is this the only way I can get trailer light check? I know I can add trailer brake controller & tow mirrors separately.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe this is the only way currently to get it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or, just order the truck with whatever options you want, and use AlfaOBD to enable the trailer light check feature.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, you can't select it without getting TRSC. I've actually found TRSC to be more useful than I thought it'd be.

KMach

Reaction score
As stated above you need everything to get it from the factory. But, you can enable the trailer light check option by itself using 3Rd party software/hardware. I did it on my truck.

Flintstone992

Reaction score
As stated above you need everything to get it from the factory. But, you can enable the trailer light check option by itself using 3Rd party software/hardware. I did it on my truck.
Mind if I ask how you did that? I’d like to use that option as well. Thanks

db252

Reaction score
When I added trailer tpms to our truck it added the trailer light check. I also did not want the reverse steering knob on the dash when we ordered.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly veering off topic - Has anyone replaced the OEM plug on their Ram bumper yet? Is there an superseced part #? Mine doesn't fit trailer plugs, and I noticed a new Ram next to me at a red light with his trailer lights flickering, his trailer plug didn't engage the plug blades either, even tho his cap was locked over. (I was on a moto and pulled in close for a look) Would like to change out to a standard aftermarket plug to fit all trailers. Also have to ziptie open my 4 way; at this point, I'd rather use an adaptor. Probably just going to do it and leave the bumper hole blank.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Slightly veering off topic - Has anyone replaced the OEM plug on their Ram bumper yet? Is there an superseced part #? Mine doesn't fit trailer plugs, and I noticed a new Ram next to me at a red light with his trailer lights flickering, his trailer plug didn't engage the plug blades either, even tho his cap was locked over. (I was on a moto and pulled in close for a look) Would like to change out to a standard aftermarket plug to fit all trailers. Also have to ziptie open my 4 way; at this point, I'd rather use an adaptor. Probably just going to do it and leave the bumper hole blank.
I'll PM you.

ZachcBar

Reaction score
I added the trailer brake controller to my truck and used alfaobd to add enable the options. Also enabled trailer light check as well and it all works well. I do not have the trailer steering assist on my truck either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of these days I'll get AlfaOBD. Does the light check require any additional hardware?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Off topic here but does anyone, maybe a moderator see that 2 different "new members" in comments #11 and 12 have identical comments? Lol Screenshot_20230217_234158_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20230217_234217_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Can someone please explain how the trailer light check works? I think this would be a useful option to add to mine if I can do it

rammin03

Reaction score
I have the trailer light check option but it is not responding to the soft button. It worked once a while back but did not work this time. Guess I need to check for software update. Its under the "Tow" button in the apps, everything else works great.

The TPMS on the trailer would have saved me 4 hours and $300 if I would have had it when a blow out occurred but I did not feel it. Luckily we stopped for the dogs and fuel and saw it. Tire was toast!

Users who are viewing this thread