5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Camera Prep and Trailer TPMS?

AstroBacon

Reaction score
This may be better off in the towing section, but I'm curious if anyone has purchased the trailer camera prep with their Ram?
What sort of camera is compatible with it? Most Travel trailers seem to be pre-wired for Furrion camera systems which tend to be wireless, so I'm not sure if these systems are compatible with whatever camera might work with the Ram system.
I'm also curious how the trailer TPMS works with travel trailers? If my travel trailer has TPMS does it just work? or does it have to be a certain brand TPMS?

Last edited:

NimbusRam

Reaction score
Just purchased a new 2020 RAM 1500 Limited EcoDiesel and will be following this thread.
I'd love to have the rear view video from my Airstream going to the RAM display as well as getting TPMS sensors on the trailer that could be displayed using the RAM display.

Last edited:

Glenn54

Reaction score
This may be better off in the towing section, but I'm curious if anyone has purchased the trailer camera prep with their Ram?
What sort of camera is compatible with it? Most Travel trailers seem to be pre-wired for Furrion camera systems which tend to be wireless, so I'm not sure if these systems are compatible with whatever camera might work with the Ram system.
I'm also curious how the trailer TPMS works with travel trailers? If my travel trailer has TPMS does it just work? or does it have to be a certain brand TPMS?
Were you able to find out any additional information on your travel trailer and TPMS questions?

MLB12

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my '21 10th Anniversary LongHorn yesterday, so I can provide a bit of input.

For the trailer TPMS system, if you've got it as an option, somewhere in your truck cab, most likely the lower glove box, you'll find a sealed package containing four TPMS sensors, and the requisite installation bits and pieces, for installation onto your trailer wheels/tires. If you've got a triple axle trailer you may be pooched, unless just buying two extra sensors is all it takes. I'm not sure if the system will be able to see six of them.

For the trailer camera wiring, if ordered as an option, the truck based parts of the system are all installed and wired from the front of the truck to the rear bumper. There you'll find the 12-pin plug for the truck-to-trailer wiring. There is a separate wiring kit that is also found in the cab, and that is a cable with the necessary connectors at both ends. Interestingly, my truck is absent that package. Either it didn't get put in at the factory, or it grew wings. Who knows?? The Southern Alberta vehicle rep is securing it for me so I should have it in the next couple of weeks, I hope......

That's all I've got for now. I've got more digging to do to figure out which cameras are compatible.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just took delivery of my '21 10th Anniversary LongHorn yesterday, so I can provide a bit of input.

For the trailer TPMS system, if you've got it as an option, somewhere in your truck cab, most likely the lower glove box, you'll find a sealed package containing four TPMS sensors, and the requisite installation bits and pieces, for installation onto your trailer wheels/tires. If you've got a triple axle trailer you may be pooched, unless just buying two extra sensors is all it takes. I'm not sure if the system will be able to see six of them.

For the trailer camera wiring, if ordered as an option, the truck based parts of the system are all installed and wired from the front of the truck to the rear bumper. There you'll find the 12-pin plug for the truck-to-trailer wiring. There is a separate wiring kit that is also found in the cab, and that is a cable with the necessary connectors at both ends. Interestingly, my truck is absent that package. Either it didn't get put in at the factory, or it grew wings. Who knows?? The Southern Alberta vehicle rep is securing it for me so I should have it in the next couple of weeks, I hope......

That's all I've got for now. I've got more digging to do to figure out which cameras are compatible.

You can buy individual tire sensors. The TTPMS in the HD trucks can see something like up to 12 sensors per saved trailer. Can't imagine the 1500 is any different even if you could pull something like that. ;)

The 4 sensor kit is 68433188AA
The individual sensors are 68375992AA

You don't get anything external to the truck with the trailer camera prep.

It's a $730 (retail) Mopar piece of crap camera, now with a dual camera lead, but only one craptastic camera. 82216068AD

Reported to be the same internal camera as the digital tailgate but image quality is worse than a potato.

1613803275239.png

You can't even buy just the cable parts and the 12-pin head is impossible to source to build your own. All the HD guys that have done camera setups have gotten a Ford cable and modified it or ordered one custom from Nichols . A few are using the RCA inputs available on the NAViKS box that can keep the cams on all the time. We have a couple big threads on the sister site HDRAMS on the cameras and the NAViKS setup. There's also an abbreviated thread on the NAViKS install and operation. I don't know if they use the same box on the 1500's.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the TTPMS system can be added to a 2020 Ram 1500?
I believe it could be possible. I have more specific info in this thread- https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/trailer-tire-pressure-monitoring-system.28078/#post-397358
Check post 12 out, specifically. Basically, before gambling on buying the hardware first, I would use AlfaOBD to enable the TTPMS settings in the BCM and make sure the settings show up in the radio, and the messages pop up in the EVIC.

MLB12

Reaction score
You can buy individual tire sensors. The TTPMS in the HD trucks can see something like up to 12 sensors per saved trailer. Can't imagine the 1500 is any different even if you could pull something like that. ;)

The 4 sensor kit is 68433188AA
The individual sensors are 68375992AA

You don't get anything external to the truck with the trailer camera prep.

It's a $730 (retail) Mopar piece of crap camera, now with a dual camera lead, but only one craptastic camera. 82216068AD

Reported to be the same internal camera as the digital tailgate but image quality is worse than a potato.

View attachment 83339

You can't even buy just the cable parts and the 12-pin head is impossible to source to build your own. All the HD guys that have done camera setups have gotten a Ford cable and modified it or ordered one custom from Nichols . A few are using the RCA inputs available on the NAViKS box that can keep the cams on all the time. We have a couple big threads on the sister site HDRAMS on the cameras and the NAViKS setup. There's also an abbreviated thread on the NAViKS install and operation. I don't know if they use the same box on the 1500's.

This is the additional wiring, really a jumper cable, that comes with the truck when it is equipped with the trailer camera wiring prep kit. At least it's supposed to come with the truck! As I noted in my original post it was shorted in mine, but I've been assured it will be here in the next 10-14 days. 1613882957170.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the additional wiring, really a jumper cable, that comes with the truck when it is equipped with the trailer camera wiring prep kit. At least it's supposed to come with the truck! As I noted in my original post it was shorted in mine, but I've been assured it will be here in the next 10-14 days. View attachment 83473

That first lead harness looks exactly the same as the single cam HD version. The HD trucks DO NOT come with that harness, it's part of the camera kit.

I'd be surprised if they get it for you but please do post if you are able to get it and provide the part number. maybe it's different and can be ordered. The HD part number is unobtanium.

What detail do you have to indicate it comes with the truck?

MLB12

Reaction score
That first lead harness looks exactly the same as the single cam HD version. The HD trucks DO NOT come with that harness, it's part of the camera kit.

I'd be surprised if they get it for you but please do post if you are able to get it and provide the part number. maybe it's different and can be ordered. The HD part number is unobtanium.

What detail do you have to indicate it comes with the truck?

So, here's where I'm at now-from somewhere out in Mother MOPARLand the decree came down that the cable that I posted the picture of only comes with the complete after sale/accessory purchased package. So that substantiates what you've said about it.

But now comes the real question, if that is so, how do we get our hands on the intermediate cable without having to resort to utilising a Ford piece? Of course there's the aftermarket, and no disrespect to anyone out there, but that is just fundamentally wrong on so many fronts!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, here's where I'm at now-from somewhere out in Mother MOPARLand the decree came down that the cable that I posted the picture of only comes with the complete after sale/accessory purchased package. So that substantiates what you've said about it.

But now comes the real question, if that is so, how do we get our hands on the intermediate cable without having to resort to utilising a Ford piece? Of course there's the aftermarket, and no disrespect to anyone out there, but that is just fundamentally wrong on so many fronts!

The 12-pin connector is not in the public domain AFAIK. We've never been able to source it. Best option, if the dealer can't source that lead cable, which blows my mind (what if yours got damaged?) then it's off to the Ford guy @ Nichols or you tap another connector into the backside of the 12-pin harness.

louscrw

Reaction score
my truck came with the trailer TPMS sensors (4pk). Are they different from the TPMS sensors in the truck’s tires? I‘m going to be swapping out wheels and tires and was wondering if these extra TPMS sensors could be used as the truck’s TPMS in new tires. That way I could have 2 sets of tires, each with TPMS

happy2rv

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had any success with attaching after market cameras to the pre-wire package. I found a link to the 2500/3500 package with a pinout of the 12 pin connector, but it looks like it is only 1 camera and the 1500 has 2. I tried connecting a video source to the video+ and video- pins listed for the 2500, but got no signal on either of the aux camera inputs. It also lists a "video drain" pin. I'm not sure what that is, but I'm wondering if there has to be some signal other than the video to enable the input.

I'd really like to use the input with the cameras I already have installed on the trailer without having to buy the MOPAR camera just to get the cabling... Like everyone else, I haven't found a source for the 12 pin plug but I think I might be able to 3d print a plug and piece it together with pins from another cable if I could get the video to display.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2020-2021 2500/3500 has 2 camera inputs.

AUX1 shown below on pins 9,10 (video+,-) 8 is shield ("drain" not required)
AUX2 is on pins 11,12, 7 is shield (not required)
Power is Pin 1 (12VDC+) & Pin 6 (ground)

You can buy the Ford 12-pin lead harness for around $110 and rewire it. HC3Z-14B242-F

It has a 6-pin Molex MX150 camera connector the same as RAM on one lead (pinned differently). The other is a 4-pin TE MQS they use to locate their TPMS receiver. It is the same connector the RAM Trailer TPMS receiver (in the bumper) uses.

1627280525739.png

1627280759086.png

1627282954701.png

happy2rv

Reaction score
Thanks. I just saw this. We've been traveling and just got back.
I will try again on my 1500 to see if its the same.

Zmel

Reaction score
I have had my 2021 Limited Longhorn 10th Anniversary edition 1500 for six months now, ordered 11/28/2020 picked it up from the dealer 2/23/2021. Ordered all the towing options including the trailer camera pre-wiring package XFQ (no cameras was pointed out on the order form). There was no package that included cameras, but I understand the 2022s can be ordered with a surround view kit (four cameras) for the trailer that is delivered with the truck. It did come with the four TPMS sensors which I had installed on my trailer and followed the setup instructions to get them working with the truck. These work fine. What does not work is the camera for the trailer. I have purchased and returned 3 different kits for the trailer camera based on information from Ram Customer Care. Dealer parts department does not show a kit specific to a 2021 Ram 1500. Repurchased the last kit because RAM tech team says it is functionally the same as a newer camera which is not available in the system yet.
I have had a personal Ram Customer care guy giving me updates for months now and working with the tech team at Ram and the local dealer to resolve the issue. Waited five weeks for a new connector for the pre-wiring install done at the factory which was supposed to fix the problem, NO JOY today. The "super tech" from Ram is going to look at the truck again tomorrow. This is not rocket science and should be fixed in less than six months.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Following closely, because my next purchase will be a camera to go inside my horse trailer.

MLB12

Reaction score
The 2020-2021 2500/3500 has 2 camera inputs.

AUX1 shown below on pins 9,10 (video+,-) 8 is shield ("drain" not required)
AUX2 is on pins 11,12, 7 is shield (not required)
Power is Pin 1 (12VDC+) & Pin 6 (ground)

You can buy the Ford 12-pin lead harness for around $110 and rewire it. HC3Z-14B242-F

It has a 6-pin Molex MX150 camera connector the same as RAM on one lead (pinned differently). The other is a 4-pin TE MQS they use to locate their TPMS receiver. It is the same connector the RAM Trailer TPMS receiver (in the bumper) uses.

View attachment 100966

View attachment 100967

View attachment 100968

Does anyone know how long the actual wiring harness is that comes with the Ford HC3Z-14B242-F kit? And does it have the two connectors, one at each end?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long the actual wiring harness is that comes with the Ford HC3Z-14B242-F kit? And does it have the two connectors, one at each end?

The 12-pin is at one end.

The other two connectors are at the other end. The 4-pin TPMS connector is split out before the 6-pin Camera connector. I didn't get a tape on it before installing it, but I'd guess 12-15' as I have it connected to my fifth wheel umbilical, through the overhang, and down to the other camera connector.

1644553313152.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread