5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Brake Not Included With Trailer Hitch

Ram1

Reaction score
I could be dead wrong with this but when I was pricing trucks on the Ram website in Oct/Nov and got down to trailer hitch and trailer brake section when I selected one or the other they both would be added. Meaning if you selected the trailer hitch, the trailer brake control would get added automatically and vise versa. I checked this a few times to make sure it was correct. So fast forward I buy my 19 Limited and it has the trailer hitch on the build sheet, automatically I assume the brake is there............wrong. My own fault I didn't check when taking delivery and didn't really notice till today when I hooked on to a trailer. So, I guess I have to add it as I have seen others have done. Even if I factory ordered it and chose trailer hitch and trailer brake automatically gets added wonder if it would of been on truck when arrived or not. I went on the website today and they have changed that auto select you can indeed just select the trailer hitch without the brake.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The trailer brake is not standard on any trim. The classIV hitch is standard on Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited. The Class IV is an option on Tradesman and bighorn/lonestar, standard you get the class 3 bumper. (This info is only correct for U.S.A., Canada both are an option)

The trailer brake controller can be added as part of the trailer tow package or by itself.

If you have the upper trims tow package removes powerfold and 360 view.

Build and price is notoriously wrong.

And one more time I will warn, when you want something make sure it works...this will also let you know it is there...or not.

All that said. I never noticed the trailer brake ever coming with the hitch. Only as stated above.

So your issue was you got a Limited. The hitch is standard. You needed to add the controller. Which is why you thought you saw it that way.

Good news is you can add the controller and you didn't get screwed with the tow mirrors.

Last edited:

Ram1

Reaction score
On the window sticker it shows the Class IV trailer hitch as a $495 option on my Limited.

Ram1

Reaction score
Attached is the window sticker. I have a call into the dealer to see if I can get this cleared up. I know it's going to end with me opening the cheque book.........usually does.(n) TB.JPG

Ram1

Reaction score
Yes Ontario, Canada. Seems like I'm not the only one that has this problem. Dealer called back....$720 for the TBC and its back ordered till June. No use in arguing about how it was displayed on the Ram website, it wasn't there when I bought the truck so $$$$ now. I did however remember seeing it wasnt on the centre stack and just figured it was built into the dash display.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The TBC and the hitch are two different things, BOTH are optional on Rams in Canada (ignore the people saying the hitch is standard on certain trims, that's only U.S.). You didn't get duped by anyone other than your own assumptions, or by looking up truck specs on the wrong website, lol.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And very interesting to know.

@mikemcfarland would love to see your signature filled out lol.

It is very odd the things you think would be constant are completely different.

Love learning something new everyday.

I will fix my other post.

Ram1

Reaction score
The TBC and the hitch are two different things, BOTH are optional on Rams in Canada (ignore the people saying the hitch is standard on certain trims, that's only U.S.). You didn't get duped by anyone other than your own assumptions, or by looking up truck specs on the wrong website, lol.
I never said I got duped by anyone and since I live in Canada I was on the Canadian website seems correct to me. When I go on the website now and chose the class IV trailer hitch is doesnt populate the trailer brake automatically like it did before so the error will not be made again. I can handle $700 for the TBC more then what it would be if it was ordered with the truck but were past that point now.

grinch72

Reaction score
Yes Ontario, Canada. Seems like I'm not the only one that has this problem. Dealer called back....$720 for the TBC and its back ordered till June. No use in arguing about how it was displayed on the Ram website, it wasn't there when I bought the truck so $$$$ now. I did however remember seeing it wasnt on the centre stack and just figured it was built into the dash display.
Order the parts separately. You will save a ton of money. Do the install yourself and then just have the dealer add the sales code. Simple enough and it save a **** ton of $$$$$

Ram1

Reaction score
Order the parts separately. You will save a ton of money. Do the install yourself and then just have the dealer add the sales code. Simple enough and it save a **** ton of $$$$$
Good idea, I think I will do that. Be nice to work on something new for a change not like when I was younger wrenching on old rusted out junk that should of been scrapped lol.:giggle::giggle:

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Based on your build sheet it looks like you're Canadian? I just bought the factory trailer brake controller, because I screwed up when ordering the truck last year. Was over $500 with tax plus $135 after tax to program ( I installed it) almost double what the option is worth, whoops.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
$720 has be the with them installing and programming it. It took me 30 minutes to install. Just checked, it was $513 after tax (Ontario) for the factory trailer brake controller assembly from my dealer. Plus 135 (after tax ) to program it.

grinch72

Reaction score
Good idea, I think I will do that. Be nice to work on something new for a change not like when I was younger wrenching on old rusted out junk that should of been scrapped lol.:giggle::giggle:
These are parts listed individually. You will need 3 of the screws and 3 clips as shown in the image. The parts cost me $122 shipped and the dealer charged me $50 to put the sales code in. $175 total. Installed myself. If you order the kit itself it costs far more. This is all of the parts that come in the kit. Just bought separately!

Ordered all the parts from Mopar Wholesale Parts online. Not sure what they would charge to ship to CA. I’m sure you can find them locally as well for just as cheap.

Attachments

• DA7423A2-6EF5-43B8-BC0B-E5B3156466E5.jpeg
    DA7423A2-6EF5-43B8-BC0B-E5B3156466E5.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 16

Ram1

Reaction score
These are parts listed individually. You will need 3 of the screws and 3 clips as shown in the image. The parts cost me $122 shipped and the dealer charged me $50 to put the sales code in. $175 total. Installed myself. If you order the kit itself it costs far more. This is all of the parts that come in the kit. Just bought separately!

Ordered all the parts from Mopar Wholesale Parts online. Not sure what they would charge to ship to CA. I’m sure you can find them locally as well for just as cheap.
[/QUOTE

Thanks very much for your help, it is much much appreciated(y)(y)

Users who are viewing this thread