5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trading a Laramie for a limited/longhorn

rlc2020

Reaction score
That's a lot of money to spend just to get a nicer interior and wheels. you can find a set of the 22 take offs for 1k give or take and sell your laramie wheels to make up most of that. Then, when there are actual powertrain and uconnect improvements with the refresh in 2022 (and the rest of the bugs are worked out of this new generation), then trade up. Just my 2 cents.

That said, If you want it and the money is not a factor, then go for it!

Last edited:

renzo2213

Reaction score
That's a lot of money to spend just to get a nicer interior and wheels. you can find a set of the 22 take offs for 1k give or take and sell your laramie wheels to make up most of that. Then, when there are actual powertrain and uconnect improvements with the refresh in 2022 (and the rest of the bugs are worked out of this new generation), then trade up. Just my 2 cents.

Roger that, I think after learning about the 2022 refresh I might just wait, plus, there’s news on the TRX so who knows lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just keep in mind their will likely be updated gas powertrains and a refresh around 2022, that is about when I will be ready to trade.

Yep, 2023 or 2024 I will be moving up to the 2500 when they have the Pano roof, 360 camera and all the goodies.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I took my truck to the shop a little bit ago and they let me play around in a longhorn fully loaded, only thing it didn’t have was air ride which I’d rather not have because I live in Massachusetts (very cold). My Laramie is really nice, I love the truck but I wish I had some of the amenities that the longhorn has such as the pano sunroof, adaptive cruise control, power running boards (I like the clean look of it no running boards but also need them because the wife is short), real leather and the 22” wheels which I absolutely love.

Now before anyone says I should’ve just gotten it instead of the Laramie, I’m new to ram and did research, I just guess not enough and any of the dealers that were near me didn’t have any limited or longhorns. Mine was the most optioned one I could find, and I didn’t order one because I got a very good deal on it and that was the last month of the sale (bought it in September). They’re wanting to give me $41,500, I owe a hair over 46 so not bad, I could just put money down.

So I guess the question is, has anyone upgraded and just ate the cost and not felt that was completely dumb?

Kind of late now, but you could have gotten a Laramie with all the options you mentioned, with the exception of the real leather interior. But, after adding those options you'd have been close to the Longhorn price range. I only mention it now so other members who might read this don't think those aren't available on a Laramie.
Roger that, I think after learning about the 2022 refresh I might just wait, plus, there’s news on the TRX so who knows lol

I agree about the TRX. I'm very interested in seeing it when they come out. But, from what I've read about it, some of the things you like about the Longhorn may not be available on the TRX. But since they are not available yet it's speculation on my part. The biggest detractor for me will be the price. I'm not sure I can justify spending that kind of money on a truck. And since I'm not currently married, I'll only have to convince myself.:unsure:

drew7811

Reaction score
What’s not to like? I was just remarking tonight on the way home how well they lit up six lanes of empty toll road. Auto high beams, fog lights that highlight the side you're turning to, aim into a curve, and they're bright as hell. I mean, other than being one of my neighbors when I forget to shut off the auto high beams in the neighborhood, I think they're about as good as headlights get.

As for OP, it sounds like there's not really any advice needed. If you're okay eating $5k on what you owe plus your original down payment plus, say, another $10k+, just to upgrade your new truck, then I guess go for it. I ain't gonna tell you how to spend your money. I sure like my Longhorn, though.

My 19 Laramie has the LED headlights. They are amazing. I tried to use the auto high beams, but ended up turning that feature off. The road signs kept confusing the system and they would turn off because of the light reflecting back.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If you can wait a few months, the 2021s are right around the corner with [perhaps] upgraded UConnect 5.
Nothing concrete yet, but I would hope this is the case.

tloon

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I took my truck to the shop a little bit ago and they let me play around in a longhorn fully loaded, only thing it didn’t have was air ride which I’d rather not have because I live in Massachusetts (very cold). My Laramie is really nice, I love the truck but I wish I had some of the amenities that the longhorn has such as the pano sunroof, adaptive cruise control, power running boards (I like the clean look of it no running boards but also need them because the wife is short), real leather and the 22” wheels which I absolutely love.

Now before anyone says I should’ve just gotten it instead of the Laramie, I’m new to ram and did research, I just guess not enough and any of the dealers that were near me didn’t have any limited or longhorns. Mine was the most optioned one I could find, and I didn’t order one because I got a very good deal on it and that was the last month of the sale (bought it in September). They’re wanting to give me $41,500, I owe a hair over 46 so not bad, I could just put money down.

So I guess the question is, has anyone upgraded and just ate the cost and not felt that was completely dumb?

Is that picture from Harr? Just got my Laramie there last month.

tloon

Reaction score
Yea harr over in Worcester, I’m from Leominster lol

I am in Auburn. My general contracting company does work for them. They are a good dealer. Buy a lot of vehicles there between them and the Toyota dealership. Funny, I recognized that pic right away.
Good luck.

renzo2213

Reaction score
I am in Auburn. My general contracting company does work for them. They are a good dealer. Buy a lot of vehicles there between them and the Toyota dealership. Funny, I recognized that pic right away.
Good luck.

That’s awesome! Great dealership from what I could see. Never thought to had gone there when I bought mine as I work out in Boston

tloon

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Great dealership from what I could see. Never thought to had gone there when I bought mine as I work out in Boston

When I went to pick up my truck it was backed in to that exact spot.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m slowly waiting for them to make the Rebel interior equal to the Laramie. I have a Laramie Sport and love it, but I only got it because the Rebel doesn’t let you get certain things like ventilated seats (I live in Florida and yes it is a must), LED interior lights, tailgate release, etc.

This year they came out with the Rebel Black but it’s just a Rebel 12 without the Red. I was hoping they would gives us a more option able Rebel.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m slowly waiting for them to make the Rebel interior equal to the Laramie. I have a Laramie Sport and love it, but I only got it because the Rebel doesn’t let you get certain things like ventilated seats (I live in Florida and yes it is a must), LED interior lights, tailgate release, etc.

This year they came out with the Rebel Black but it’s just a Rebel 12 without the Red. I was hoping they would gives us a more option able Rebel.

That or wait for the 2500 to get the 1500 cab and get a Power Wagon. I would already have a Power Wagon if the backseat was the same as mine.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That or wait for the 2500 to get the 1500 cab and get a Power Wagon. I would already have a Power Wagon if the backseat was the same as mine.
Oh yeah, now you’re talking! That would be sweet...

Rcgflash1

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Limited ( Delmonico Red ), I love it. The rain sensing windshield wipers were worth the cost :) Been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and got lots of good advise. One was the 3.21 vs 3.92, can't remember who it was but he said it best, if a few mpg's difference is a problem we should buy a car. Mine has the 3.92 and so far not great mpg.
It's all about what makes you happy, it's your money. I drove a 2005 GMC Z71 fr 15 years, so anything was a huge change for me. It's my retirement truck.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Limited ( Delmonico Red ), I love it. The rain sensing windshield wipers were worth the cost :) Been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and got lots of good advise. One was the 3.21 vs 3.92, can't remember who it was but he said it best, if a few mpg's difference is a problem we should buy a car. Mine has the 3.92 and so far not great mpg.
It's all about what makes you happy, it's your money. I drove a 2005 GMC Z71 fr 15 years, so anything was a huge change for me. It's my retirement truck.
Congratulations on new ride
FYI
Rain sensing wiper are part of level 2 equipment not a trim.
Long horn got best interior $$$
Limited got best wheels$$$$
Laramie got best looks $$
And
Longhorn got best valve for money $
Non Mopar guy can't tell a difference
Like all Audis are just Audis to me.

renzo2213

Reaction score

Unfortunately they didn’t have any limited or longhorn trims at the lot at the time I bought my truck. My Laramie has rain sensing wipers, it sure is a great feature!

renzo2213

Reaction score
When I went to pick up my truck it was backed in to that exact spot.

Must’ve been a beautiful view pulling up to the parking lot

tloon

Reaction score

I had a deposit on a 2020 Limited in December, primarily because they had 15 Big Horns and 2 Limiteds on the lot. Nothing in between. I really liked the Limited, but a lot of options that I really did not need. I caught a white Laramie being unloaded off the truck one day and jumped on it. No sunroof, which is fine with me but a lot of other options like the 3.92 gears, pop down step, 20 wheels I really like, everything I need. I got the truck for over 10K less than I was ready to pay for the Limited. I had the dealer install the off road side steps, the hard folding tonneau cover, the MOPAR 2" lift kit, and I upgraded the tires to a little more aggressive 275/60/20. Weather Tech floor mats, under seat storage and upgraded speakers, and I still am at 5K less than the Limited. Worked for me. But, I really like that pic of the two tone interior of the Longhorn.

Users who are viewing this thread