5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trading a Laramie for a limited/longhorn

renzo2213

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I took my truck to the shop a little bit ago and they let me play around in a longhorn fully loaded, only thing it didn’t have was air ride which I’d rather not have because I live in Massachusetts (very cold). My Laramie is really nice, I love the truck but I wish I had some of the amenities that the longhorn has such as the pano sunroof, adaptive cruise control, power running boards (I like the clean look of it no running boards but also need them because the wife is short), real leather and the 22” wheels which I absolutely love.

Now before anyone says I should’ve just gotten it instead of the Laramie, I’m new to ram and did research, I just guess not enough and any of the dealers that were near me didn’t have any limited or longhorns. Mine was the most optioned one I could find, and I didn’t order one because I got a very good deal on it and that was the last month of the sale (bought it in September). They’re wanting to give me $41,500, I owe a hair over 46 so not bad, I could just put money down.

So I guess the question is, has anyone upgraded and just ate the cost and not felt that was completely dumb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck with your decision. I’m a big fan of the Longhorn!

renzo2213

Reaction score
Good luck with your decision. I’m a big fan of the Longhorn!

That’s my favorite one! Black exterior with the black and wooden interior is absolutely gorgeous
570ef4bd2511f94e3b5cf660ace40658.jpg

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I like that color interior in the Longhorn not so much the all brown.

renzo2213

Reaction score
-34F last winter, no problems in North Dakota/Minnesota winters With 5th gen air ride.

That’s good to hear lol I was just scared that they would seize and then once the trucks warranty expires I’m SOL up here

Wheeler

Reaction score
Love every single thing about longhorn but headlights.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
You’re looking at upgrading to a nicer truck plus the negative equity in your current truck. I think the options are worth it and I would do it, but realize that you’ll be paying 15k+ to upgrade that you’ll never get back. The used market doesn’t value Limited or Longhorn models very much.

I LOVE MY LIMITED AND WOULD DO IT.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I say if you are going to be happier with doing this, then do it and start your enjoyment. :)

blue tom

Reaction score
Love every single thing about longhorn but headlights.

What’s not to like? I was just remarking tonight on the way home how well they lit up six lanes of empty toll road. Auto high beams, fog lights that highlight the side you're turning to, aim into a curve, and they're bright as hell. I mean, other than being one of my neighbors when I forget to shut off the auto high beams in the neighborhood, I think they're about as good as headlights get.

As for OP, it sounds like there's not really any advice needed. If you're okay eating $5k on what you owe plus your original down payment plus, say, another $10k+, just to upgrade your new truck, then I guess go for it. I ain't gonna tell you how to spend your money. I sure like my Longhorn, though.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Sorry my bad they are best lights on the plant.
By the way I was talking about the looks. May be it is just me led lights have better proportion to truck front.

Last edited:

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I took my truck to the shop a little bit ago and they let me play around in a longhorn fully loaded, only thing it didn’t have was air ride which I’d rather not have because I live in Massachusetts (very cold). My Laramie is really nice, I love the truck but I wish I had some of the amenities that the longhorn has such as the pano sunroof, adaptive cruise control, power running boards (I like the clean look of it no running boards but also need them because the wife is short), real leather and the 22” wheels which I absolutely love.

Now before anyone says I should’ve just gotten it instead of the Laramie, I’m new to ram and did research, I just guess not enough and any of the dealers that were near me didn’t have any limited or longhorns. Mine was the most optioned one I could find, and I didn’t order one because I got a very good deal on it and that was the last month of the sale (bought it in September). They’re wanting to give me $41,500, I owe a hair over 46 so not bad, I could just put money down.

So I guess the question is, has anyone upgraded and just ate the cost and not felt that was completely dumb?

Your only describing 1/2 of the deal. $5K negative equity plus the costs $? of the new truck. A lot depends on the MSRP and actually selling price of what you are looking to purchase. You don’t want to get pulled into a bad deal from both sides. Good luck with your decision.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Your only describing 1/2 of the deal. $5K negative equity plus the costs $? of the new truck. A lot depends on the MSRP and actually selling price of what you are looking to purchase. You don’t want to get pulled into a bad deal from both sides. Good luck with your decision.

The msrp is at $71,420 and they’re wanting to sell it for $62,911 with rebates and discounts

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just my opinion but if that’s going to make you happy and not stressed money wise then buy it. People will spend all day telling you how bad of a deal this or that is. Heck anytime you purchase a vehicle whether you pay cash or finance it’s not a good deal. The key is measuring this in real actions to you being happy. I’m happy with what I have and when I’m not lol, I buy things to add to make me happy. At the end of the day there are worse things you could be spending your money on. :)

renzo2213

Reaction score
Just my opinion but if that’s going to make you happy and not stressed money wise then buy it. People will spend all day telling you how bad of a deal this or that is. Heck anytime you purchase a vehicle whether you pay cash or finance it’s not a good deal. The key is measuring this in real actions to you being happy. I’m happy with what I have and when I’m not lol, I buy things to add to make me happy. At the end of the day there are worse things you could be spending your money on. :)

That’s very true lol I’ll have to talk it over with the wife, who of course is probably 100% not on board with this haha

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry my bad they are best lights on the plant.
By the way I was talking about the looks. May be it is just me led lights have better proportion to truck front.
It's not just you. I don't care for the front grills/headlights of Limiteds or Longhorns. Looks, like you said, disproportionate.

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
I'm going from a '15 loaded EcoDiesel Big Horn to a '20 Longhorn, mostly loaded. This is what I've wanted and finally pulled the trigger b/c 3rd gen EcoDiesel after test driving one. Night and day difference. Most likely my last truck b/c I don't want any debt after I retire in a few years. BUT...anticipation is killing me. They haven't even started my build yet and its week 3.

Users who are viewing this thread