5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade the Ram??

Bpiet378

Reaction score
I’m probably going to get crap for this on here but driving through the car lot looking for my wife, I saw a 2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Platinum Reserve for sale with about 9,000 miles. The salesman of course started talking to me about it and asked if I’d be interested in talking trades for the Ram. What draws me in is the Cummins, I know it’s under powered vs the 6.7 and I’m from a diesel background, and the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty that comes with the Titan vs shorter Ram one. I don’t need a diesel but if I did I wouldn’t consider a Titan anyways because it’s a 5/8 ton. What are your opinions? Both are crew cabs with the standard bed but my 2019 Ram 1500 is a Bighorn. Any other questions that would help your opinion just ask. Thanks.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.0's were already an outdated engine design when they were released. They are underpowered, inefficient and you still can't really get the capability out of them that you can a Hemi 1500.
I personally wouldn't touch a 5.0, the 5.9/6.7 is a totally different ball game though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I'm confused - if you don't need a diesel, then why trade at all?

I drove Titans for 15 years. I loved the original truck and body style. If they had kept that style I'd probably still be in a Titan. The "new" body styles are ugly. On a side note, depreciation will be far worse than the Ram. Titans are good trucks but largely ignored by serious truck buyers.

I predict that after this generation runs its course they either kill the line or go back to a rebadge. In 2008/2009 they were working with Ram to develop a truck but the economic crash ended that effort.

Bpiet378

Reaction score
@jdmartin I prefer diesel engines but come from a Duramax. Have experience with 5.9s too but looking at MPG and such the Titan doesn’t get any better than the Ram and torque isn’t that much better either. Just wanted to consider trading if this would be an increase in truck value, personally. I know these Titans depreciated like hell but that’s why you can get them for so much less than MSRP. I like the look of the new Titans but that’s never a huge factor for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you're asking if it's a good idea to trade a newer truck for one that's a year older, has an arguably inferior diesel engine (which you really don't need), holds it's value worse than a Ram, will cost more to maintain? And you even admit you wouldn't consider a Titan even if you needed a diesel. I'm still waiting for the up-side on this deal. Just wondering why you didn't buy something diesel powered in the first place if you prefer diesel engines? My vote would be no, and my advice would be to stay off the sales lot :LOL:

RainDesert

Reaction score
Titan dropped the 5.0 diesel and are exclusively putting their solid 5.6 endurance V8 in all Titans for 2020. That 5.0 cummins was not what everyone hoped it would be. I can't beleive cummins built a V8 in the first place. If they would put some time into a 5.0 straight 6, I might be interested in diesel again!

Bpiet378

Reaction score
@mikeru82 Well I was looking for opinions on the 5.0 but didn’t think so many were against it. I don’t see it as a full size diesel truck which is what I meant I don’t need. A half ton I’d working for me at the moment. I got a great deal on this Ram that’s why I bought it. Thanks. I’ll stick with the Ram and try to wear ear plugs when the salesmen spool the diesels up haha

Bighorned

Reaction score
I'll be honest. I agree with everyone here by saying the new titan is horrible looking and will not hold its value. I would like a diesel too but just can't justify it. I don't tow that much weight etc. The 5.7 suits every one of my needs.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Titan dropped the 5.0 diesel and are exclusively putting their solid 5.6 endurance V8 in all Titans for 2020. That 5.0 cummins was not what everyone hoped it would be. I can't beleive cummins built a V8 in the first place. If they would put some time into a 5.0 straight 6, I might be interested in diesel again!
Bring back the 12 valve! I-6 is arguably the best engine configuration, 40% less moving parts than a V-configuration and intrinsically balanced

YellowSled

Reaction score
Do what you want, its your money, i know know much about that 5.0, but those that know about it dont say kind things about it. :unsure:

Kooch80

Reaction score
Test drive it and i think you will have your answer. i almost bought one too, the ram was far and away a better driving vehicle. then i researched the titan with diesel and didnt like what i read

highgear2005

Reaction score
What do you really dislike about the ram? I traded a problem 2018 ford for my ram, have no regrets. When I see low mileage used trucks, figure whoever bought it new, probably had issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LM42

Reaction score
I think that Nissan is actually a decent truck, a friend had one. But they are so ugly I just can't even fathom it. Its amazing Nissan sells as many vehicles as they do, considering they run models without updates for so so long.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you need the payload of the XD it's not a bad choice. If the payload isn't that important, the towing numbers aren't anything work looking at, and Nissan's interior and entertainment system is circa 2010 standard. Drove a Titan for 12 years, and I would still be in it if it was a Crew Cab. Test drove Rebels 5 or 6 times, test drove a 2020 Pro4X one time. No comparison to the interior, and you will know it as soon as you spend time in it. NissanConnect is worse than Windows Vista. After being in my Ram for 3 months, I absolutely hate my wife's 2018 Pathfinder entertainment system. As soon as this truck is paid off I will be looking to upgrade her car away from Nissan just because of that and their stupid intelligent cruise control.

Nissan's drive trains are top notch. I abused my Titan for about 9 of those 12 years, and it still shifted as smooth as day 1.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol.....Nissan
Hey man, my 12 year old Titan that had just as much power as my brand new Ram that cost me almost twice as much. Nissan's just fallen way behind on the creature comforts. The Cummins was a big "meh" though in terms of performance compared to other diesels.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
The Titan is a great truck in many regards, except the looks. The nose on that this is horrible. The rear seats are bad too, way too low and uncomfortable.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I lost any interest in Nissan when they stopped making the Xterra. Now those were fun off-road.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey man, my 12 year old Titan that had just as much power as my brand new Ram that cost me almost twice as much. Nissan's just fallen way behind on the creature comforts. The Cummins was a big "meh" though in terms of performance compared to other diesels.
Me and Lax both spent years over on Titan forum. Original Titan was a great truck. Nissan put no marketing or design money into it at all past 2006 and just let it wither on the vine. That's why a lot of us Titan guys are now in the Ram.

The new Titans are damned ugly and still feel old compared to other trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread