5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade in program for Etorque that’s what needs to happen!

_StangPGH

Reaction score
That doesnt even make sense... how is a connector on the ETorque going to arc to your wiper blade? It's like 2 feet away from it and one is in the engine compartment with a hood that separates it from the other of which sits against your windshield. I call total BS on this.
I stand by my original post. It's like I had my own little Tesla generator under the hood there for a second. This is a serious safety issue I'll be raising with the proper government agency.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wait until something goes wrong with the Etorque system....
You could say that about anything.

“Just wait until something goes wrong with...”

...the transmission.
...the engine.
...the transfer case.
...the drive-by-wire system.
...the LED lighting.
...the PCM.
...the UConnect system.
...etc.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You could say that about anything.

“Just wait until something goes wrong with...”

...the transmission.
...the engine.
...the transfer case.
...the drive-by-wire system.
...the LED lighting.
...the PCM.
...the UConnect system.
...etc.
... the driver

Golferdawg17

Reaction score
I feel bad for people that have problems with their trucks, I really do. But I don’t understand the people that come on here and constantly complain about it. I get it, you are pissed and have a right to be. Life is too short to let stuff like this eat up your life. Trade it in and move on

It didn’t take much research for me to know I wanted nothing to do with the e-torque or the 12“ screen so those were never an option I considered. I did way too much research on the ecodiesel and am well aware of the problems that could happen but decided to take the leap anyways. If I have problems with it, it’s on me. I’m not going to come on here and complain about it and tell everyone not to get one. Just to be clear this is not directed at the OP. In general all makes have problems and lemons, do your research and you’ll know what problems you could run into. I made the leap on a F150 Ecoboost years back. New what the potential problems were and did it anyway. That one didn’t work out and I ended up getting rid of it after only 10k miles. I could have kept messing with it but I decided it wasn’t worth the headache and got rid of it.
I had the same experience with the EcoBoost...I ditched it and moved on (temporarily to a Genesis...fun to drive but tough to get in and out of). I missed having a truck and set my sights on a Ram 1500. I avoided the eTorque; but, I did end up with a 12” screen...I didn’t read up on that yet... The first ‘gotcha’ moment I’ve had on the day I purchased it is the leather upholstered dash is delaminating in a couple of spots...the dealership said that the entire truck is covered the first 90 days; but, can they really fix that, or would a professional upholsterer be better able to deal with that (maybe inject more adhesive)?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love my Laramie Sport! No issues what so ever with ET. Had a bent rear rim slightly but not sure how it got bent from all the pot holes around, big enough to bury folks in may have helped!! LOL.

brewdad

Reaction score
I had the same experience with the EcoBoost...I ditched it and moved on (temporarily to a Genesis...fun to drive but tough to get in and out of). I missed having a truck and set my sights on a Ram 1500. I avoided the eTorque; but, I did end up with a 12” screen...I didn’t read up on that yet... The first ‘gotcha’ moment I’ve had on the day I purchased it is the leather upholstered dash is delaminating in a couple of spots...the dealership said that the entire truck is covered the first 90 days; but, can they really fix that, or would a professional upholsterer be better able to deal with that (maybe inject more adhesive)?
The dealership can sublet this type repair to a professional and FCA will cover under warranty, but for dash the dealer should send photo to FCA and request approval for complete replacement; the entire vehicle is covered under warranty for 3 years or 36.000 miles, whichever occurs first; wear items like wiper blades & brake pads are covered for 12 months/12,000 miles.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don't think the big issue is the trucks, I think it's the dealer network. I've never seen such bad reviews for a dealership network than FCAs. It makes sense that almost all brands with FCA dealer networks are near last in pretty much all customer service surveys.

I don't think they were prepared for all the RAMs, Jeeps and Charger/Challengers that were being bought in the last few years, and they are swamped and not handling the work load well. So they allow a simple problem to become a big occurring issue for the owner.

Luckily I do my own minor services, but not in a hurry to have to take it there for something serious. Even my floormat recall, something simple and easy is turning out to be a problem, mainly because no one from service has called me back to confirm an appointment even though parts has it in stock. I've never seen such ineptitude from a service department before. Heck, when I brought it in early for their "express" oil change, they didn't want to do it because they were slammed.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a data point, '19 ET Rebel and I had my first MAJOR issue yesterday. Driver's side wiper blade fell apart. Believe I had a loose connector on the E torque and voltage arced up to the wiper blade arm melting the blade. Those SOBs are gonna pay!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Lemon law for the damn wiper blades!!!! Shame on them! Lol.

BigD

Reaction score
I got the hemi with etorque. Had it for 9 months now without any problems. I figure if I have issues, I will trade it in after 3 yrs b4 my warranty expires.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I got the hemi with etorque. Had it for 9 months now without any problems. I figure if I have issues, I will trade it in after 3 yrs b4 my warranty expires.

I wonder if the etorque is considered part of the powertrain? If so, you got 5 years / 60K.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It’s covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, presuming you live in a place that does testing.

Awesome! Considering that California doesn't require the first smog test (for the original owner) until the 8th year of ownership, that makes sense :)

It's every other year after that. But if you sell it within 4 years, it needs to get a smog test for the 2nd owner.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! Considering that California doesn't require the first smog test (for the original owner) until the 8th year of ownership, that makes sense :)

It's every other year after that. But if you sell it within 4 years, it needs to get a smog test for the 2nd owner.
Wow...I find it ironic that I need one every year in Texas, of all places. (HD trucks are exempt, though.)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Wow...I find it ironic that I need one every year in Texas, of all places. (HD trucks are exempt, though.)

Really, I didn't know Texas did smog test.

I usually change out my primary vehicle about every 4 years, so I have never done a smog test on my daily driver since moving here. On my 2006 E90 Bimmer, I do a test every 2 years, but it's just a simple OBDII connector test, takes about 7 minutes. No dyno running. My 1993 Ranger is also every two years, but because of it's age, it does go through a traditional dyno smog test with a wire in the exhaust pipe. Not a big deal though, still takes about 10 minutes, cost the same $50.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think the big issue is the trucks, I think it's the dealer network. I've never seen such bad reviews for a dealership network than FCAs. It makes sense that almost all brands with FCA dealer networks are near last in pretty much all customer service surveys.

I don't think they were prepared for all the RAMs, Jeeps and Charger/Challengers that were being bought in the last few years, and they are swamped and not handling the work load well. So they allow a simple problem to become a big occurring issue for the owner.

Luckily I do my own minor services, but not in a hurry to have to take it there for something serious. Even my floormat recall, something simple and easy is turning out to be a problem, mainly because no one from service has called me back to confirm an appointment even though parts has it in stock. I've never seen such ineptitude from a service department before. Heck, when I brought it in early for their "express" oil change, they didn't want to do it because they were slammed.
So true on the Dealers! I just called them about the floor mat recall they want to wait a week and "Inspect " my Old floor mat! lol. It says the mat is to be replaced and old one turned in and they cannot even do that!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, presuming you live in a place that does testing.
Respectfully, SpeedyV, I believe you need to check your source as this is 100% incorrect. I researched the hell out of this and had my family attorney review the warranty before I purchased a truck with eTorque. And the word "Part" should not be concerning as Federal Emissions Warranty law requires the manufacturer to perform the repairs (parts and labor).

The eTorque system is covered by the FEDERAL EMISSION WARRANTY (Article 5.1 of the 2020 Ram 1500 DT Warranty) which has zero impact by state testing.
You are referring to the Emission Performance Warranty (Article 5.2 of the 2020 Ram 1500 DT Warranty) which covers the repairs IF your vehicle has failed a federally approved state or local emissions test

20_DT_G_GW_EN_US_t.pdf (windows.net)

5. Emission Warranties Required By Law

5.1. Federal Emission Warranty

A. Parts Covered For Two Years Or 24,000 Miles Federal law requires FCA US LLC to warrant the following emissions parts for two years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US LLC covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The All New Ram 1500 — Gas • Air system controls • Electronic fuel injection system, including injector • Evaporative-emission canister and controls • Exhaust manifold • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve and control system • Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst) • Fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines • Ignition system • Intake manifold • On-board diagnostic-system components • Oxygen sensors • Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice • Secondary ignition wires • Spark plugs • Throttle body • Transmission Control Module (TCM) • Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components • Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems

B. Parts Covered For Eight Years Or 80,000 Miles If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in “section 2.1 E”. The covered parts are: • Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly • Catalytic Converter • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) • Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts EMISSION

5.2. Emission Performance Warranty

This warranty supplements the Federal Emissions Warranty in “section 5.1”. It lasts for two years or 24,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. If your vehicle has one of the following parts, catalytic converter and Powertrain Control Module (PCM), this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first. These limits are counted from the time when your Basic Limited Warranty begins in “section 2.1 E”. The Emission Performance Warranty covers the cost of repairing or adjusting any components or parts that might be needed for your vehicle to pass Federal Emission Standards for a federally approved state or local emissions test, but only if: • Your vehicle has failed a federally approved state or local emissions test • Your vehicle has been maintained and operated properly up until it fails such a test • You face a real penalty — for example, a fine or the loss of the use of your vehicle — because the vehicle has failed the test Refer to "section 6.4" (Getting Service Under The Federal Emission Performance Warranties) for further information on how to get service under this warranty

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Respectfully, SpeedyV, I believe you need to check your source as this is 100% incorrect. I researched the hell out of this and had my family attorney review the warranty before I purchased a truck with eTorque. And the word "Part" should not be concerning as Federal Emissions Warranty law requires the manufacturer to perform the repairs (parts and labor).

The eTorque system is covered by the FEDERAL EMISSION WARRANTY (Article 5.1 of the 2020 Ram 1500 DT Warranty) which has zero impact by state testing.
You are referring to the Emission Performance Warranty (Article 5.2 of the 2020 Ram 1500 DT Warranty) which covers the repairs IF your vehicle has failed a federally approved state or local emissions test

20_DT_G_GW_EN_US_t.pdf (windows.net)

5. Emission Warranties Required By Law

5.1. Federal Emission Warranty

A. Parts Covered For Two Years Or 24,000 Miles Federal law requires FCA US LLC to warrant the following emissions parts for two years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US LLC covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The All New Ram 1500 — Gas • Air system controls • Electronic fuel injection system, including injector • Evaporative-emission canister and controls • Exhaust manifold • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve and control system • Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst) • Fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines • Ignition system • Intake manifold • On-board diagnostic-system components • Oxygen sensors • Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice • Secondary ignition wires • Spark plugs • Throttle body • Transmission Control Module (TCM) • Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components • Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems

B. Parts Covered For Eight Years Or 80,000 Miles If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in “section 2.1 E”. The covered parts are: • Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly • Catalytic Converter • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) • Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts EMISSION

5.2. Emission Performance Warranty

This warranty supplements the Federal Emissions Warranty in “section 5.1”. It lasts for two years or 24,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. If your vehicle has one of the following parts, catalytic converter and Powertrain Control Module (PCM), this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first. These limits are counted from the time when your Basic Limited Warranty begins in “section 2.1 E”. The Emission Performance Warranty covers the cost of repairing or adjusting any components or parts that might be needed for your vehicle to pass Federal Emission Standards for a federally approved state or local emissions test, but only if: • Your vehicle has failed a federally approved state or local emissions test • Your vehicle has been maintained and operated properly up until it fails such a test • You face a real penalty — for example, a fine or the loss of the use of your vehicle — because the vehicle has failed the test Refer to "section 6.4" (Getting Service Under The Federal Emission Performance Warranties) for further information on how to get service under this warranty
It's laid out pretty clearly by the EPA. I live in a place where emissions testing follows federal guidelines, therefore part B above applies.

Users who are viewing this thread