5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS sensor question.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I posted a question earlier, but I deleted it after talking to my dealer. I am buying a set of takeoff wheels and tires as a winter setup from a 2021 Rebel for my 2021 Laramie. My dealer is telling me that the TPMS sensors may not sync with my truck, requiring a new set of TPMS sensors. That seems to be opposite of what I've read on this forum. I see a bunch of ads with wheels for sale with TPMS sensors and that seems to be a selling point because the new owner won't have to buy new sensors. @Cbty2050 is that true?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Just found a Ram TPMS document and this is what it says about the tire pressure sensors.

"The wireless sensors transmit tire pressure information at a frequency of 433 MHz. The tire pressure sensors send a tire pressure sensor value every 64 seconds when the vehicle is in motion and approximately every 13 hours when the vehicle is not in motion. The sensors also transmit a unique ID code to differentiate the sensors from those on nearby vehicles. When a sensor is installed in a tire on the vehicle, the RFH can automatically identify the sensor and its location during the first ensuing drive cycle. Identification will take approximately 20 minutes, but the speed of the vehicle must exceed 24 km/h (15 mph). The Kit, TPM/RKE ANALYZER 2046300080 can also be used to program the new sensor identification number in the RFH."

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm disappointed that the service manager would tell me otherwise.
I will say to his defense, they have most likely been burned on that. Some years don't work well with other years, he's covering his ***.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I will say to his defense, they have most likely been burned on that. Some years don't work well with other years, he's covering his ***.

I get that, but I would think he would say, "yeah, it should work but if not you may need new sensors". He had me believing that under no circumstances would the sensors in the new wheels connect with my truck automatically. Hopefully he wasn't attempting to get me to buy new sensors.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I installed the wheels/tires and went for a short drive. Within 5 minutes, I got the TPMS message in the EVIC and all 4 tire pressure indications dropped out. Five minutes later, it picked up 3 sensors, then dropped one. I didn't drive any further than 6 miles/10 minutes, so I'll need to get out and drive for 20 minutes, so the RFH has a chance to pick up all 4.

397STROKER

Reaction score
when I bought my wheels I order TPMS sensors from, I believe Rock auto. Anyway, had a buddy of mine install the sensors, mount and balance the tires, drove home and by the time I got home the truck had picked up on the sensors and has been working ever since. When I had my challenger, I ordered new wheels and tires from DTD with sensors and the car picked up on them. From everything I have read and my experience it should recognizer the sensors on its' own. I know that some manufactures they have to be programmed first and my buddy kept asking about this but I told him no, they should register on their own and they did.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I just got back from a 25 mile, 40 minute drive. After 10 minutes, all sensors dropped off. When I got home, all 4 were still showing --'s. I guess it's possible I need to drive some more, so I'm going to drive to Discount Tire to see if the wheels have sensors. The seller said they did, but I'm getting skeptical.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got back from a 25 mile, 40 minute drive. After 10 minutes, all sensors dropped off. When I got home, all 4 were still showing --'s. I guess it's possible I need to drive some more, so I'm going to drive to Discount Tire to see if the wheels have sensors. The seller said they did, but I'm getting skeptical.
Those sensors learn quickly, usually within 10 miles. You might be missing sensors.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
It looks like I can use AlfaOBD to program the tire sensors. It has two different procedures: 1) Sensor Rolls Test and 2) Program Tire Sensor Identifications. I don't have the ability to scan the TPMS sensor ID#'s, so I want to try the Sensor Rolls Test. @Jimmy07 if I run the Sensor Rolls Test will this force the RF Hub to look for the TPMS sensors? Do I just hit "Start" and then drive 20 MPH for 30 seconds and the RF Hub will pick up the sensors? Will I need to do anything else after that procedure?

In case the Sensor Rolls Test is unsuccessful, I scheduled an appointment with Discount Tire to reset my TPMS but can't get in until next month. I will copy down the TPMS sensor ID#'s, so I can use the AlfaOBD "Program Tire Sensor Identification Numbers" procedure if I have this issue in the future.

Sensor Rolls Test.jpg Program Tire Sensor ID's 1.jpg Program Tire Sensor ID's 2.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like I can use AlfaOBD to program the tire sensors. It has two different procedures: 1) Sensor Rolls Test and 2) Program Tire Sensor Identifications. I don't have the ability to scan the TPMS sensor ID#'s, so I want to try the Sensor Rolls Test. @Jimmy07 if I run the Sensor Rolls Test will this force the RF Hub to look for the TPMS sensors? Do I just hit "Start" and then drive 20 MPH for 30 seconds and the RF Hub will pick up the sensors? Will I need to do anything else after that procedure?

In case the Sensor Rolls Test is unsuccessful, I scheduled an appointment with Discount Tire to reset my TPMS but can't get in until next month. I will copy down the TPMS sensor ID#'s, so I can use the AlfaOBD "Program Tire Sensor Identification Numbers" procedure if I have this issue in the future.

View attachment 144289 View attachment 144290 View attachment 144291
First, scan the rf hub for faults and clear them. You probably have a few tire pressure sensor no signal faults. Then run sensor rolls test.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
First, scan the rf hub for faults and clear them. You probably have a few tire pressure sensor no signal faults. Then run sensor rolls test.
Okay, I cleared the faults then I ran the Sensor Rolls Test. This is the result...

Sensor Rolls Test Results.jpg

It appears that I might not have sensors. I'm not sure how accurate this procedure is, but the guy who sold the wheels/tires claimed they had TPMS. I would have paid $150/200 less if they didn't. I suppose having Discount scan the wheels will be the only way I'll know for sure.

Last edited:

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I'm going to pull out Alfa and see if I can get my sensors to recognize.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I installed the wheels/tires and went for a short drive. Within 5 minutes, I got the TPMS message in the EVIC and all 4 tire pressure indications dropped out. Five minutes later, it picked up 3 sensors, then dropped one. I didn't drive any further than 6 miles/10 minutes, so I'll need to get out and drive for 20 minutes, so the RFH has a chance to pick up all 4.
20 minutes seems a little optimistic. I've seen it take more than 60 minutes for the sensors to sync up when I switched to Rebel wheels on my Limited. I had resigned myself to buying sensors, when they all of a sudden started working after driving for an hour.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
20 minutes seems a little optimistic. I've seen it take more than 60 minutes for the sensors to sync up when I switched to Rebel wheels on my Limited. I had resigned myself to buying sensors, when they all of a sudden started working after driving for an hour.

Yeah, I was just going by that Mopar document that say it takes approximately 20 minutes. Now that I know the sensors aren't there, I can give up on them syncing. 🤣

I watched a YouTube video where a guy showed a procedure to determine if you have sensors or not, without using a scanner. With the valve stem at the bottom of the wheel, bend the stem down until you feel the TPMS sensor hit the rim. If you don't feel it hit before the stem bottoms out on the hole, you don't have sensors. I tried that method and didn't feel the sensor hit the rim, but I wanted Discount to confirm for me.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most times sensors relearn within 5 miles of driving. It's one of the few things they made easy unlike most manufacturers

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most times sensors relearn within 5 miles of driving. It's one of the few things they made easy unlike most manufacturers
Well, mine haven't do that and I would love if they did lol

Users who are viewing this thread