5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS Question

Jayturk

Reaction score
Hi forum,
I recently updated wheels and tires and instead of taking the OEM sensors out, I replaced with aftermarkets. After the install, the truck recognized the two front sensors. I thought, maybe a few more miles it will recognize all four. The next day one rear passenger was recognized and the two fronts were now offline. Currently, the driver rear is the only sensor that is recognized. All of the sensors at one point were able to be read, now only one. I disconnected the battery hoping that would help to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi forum,
I recently updated wheels and tires and instead of taking the OEM sensors out, I replaced with aftermarkets. After the install, the truck recognized the two front sensors. I thought, maybe a few more miles it will recognize all four. The next day one rear passenger was recognized and the two fronts were now offline. Currently, the driver rear is the only sensor that is recognized. All of the sensors at one point were able to be read, now only one. I disconnected the battery hoping that would help to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I've seen and heard this problem a number or times. They might sync up again as more miles are driven. If not, some shops have a device for manually syncing them.

Frankly, I know of enough cases of this happening that I went with the factory OEM sensors to avoid such issues.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045350 miles.

davidn0021

Reaction score
GREAT. I just got a set of TPMS with my new wheels... If they start failing, I'm gonna ask for a refund and get OEM TPMS.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
GREAT. I just got a set of TPMS with my new wheels... If they start failing, I'm gonna ask for a refund and get OEM TPMS.
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to use OEM from the get go? If you have to replace the "cheap" ones, it will cost you a remount and balance which will, most likely, outweigh the cost savings on the "cheap" ones.

davidn0021

Reaction score
I bought from discount tires, so I believe they'll do the remount and balance for free. I may need to pay for the cost of labor for putting in the new TPMS. We'll see how it goes, TPMS aren't expensive anyways.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought from discount tires, so I believe they'll do the remount and balance for free. I may need to pay for the cost of labor for putting in the new TPMS. We'll see how it goes, TPMS aren't expensive anyways.
You may want to get that in writing BEFORE they do the work.

Users who are viewing this thread