5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyo Open Country AT3 - 305/45r22 - My Impressions

m2kdc

Reaction score
I thought I’d chime in since this thread was really my deciding factor in tire decision. I decided to take advantage of the Mopar “Buy 3 Get 1 for a $1” deal.

I’m running a 2022 Laramie Night Edition, coil suspension, no lift or level. I had about 13,000 on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Ram did something right when they chose those over the Goodyears. Definitely a better tire but it’s a truck and those were something I’d run on my SUV. I should also say my driving style is spirited and I spend at least 80% of my time on pavement so I didn’t want anything too extreme.

After much deliberation around weight and reading other reviews about rubbing I decided to take a chance on the AT3s in 305/45r22. The dealership I took it too warned me that they may not fit but I told them to do it anyway and I’m glad I did!

Here’s my honest opinion after 2 days:
  • Look: HUGE improvement. Lots more stares from folks and even the dealership said they’d start recommending after seeing. I still think a taller sidewall would fill out the wells more but I also love the wide tire. It makes the truck look more planted.
  • Road noise: I LOVED the quiet in the can with the Pirellis. The Toyos are NOT silent. There is noticeable road noise even with the radio lowered. Is it bad, heck no. It’s very reasonable for the aggressive nature of the tires. I wanted the rugged look as well as performance so I’ll sacrifice a little noise for that.
  • Comfort: Immediately noticeable. Felt more planted on the road and even seemed to absorb more of the road defects. For those wondering I’m running 40 PSI.
  • Performance: I’m counting on a good winter this year so will update based on that, as well as wet and ice.
  • Rubbing: Drumroll…nothing! Perfection! I may still level the truck in the future but no immediate need! I’ll continue to put it in full lock situations and see if I can get it to run but this far not a single issue. IMG_4235.jpeg IMG_4236.jpeg IMG_4237.jpeg

ws6guy

Reaction score
For the guys that had rubbing was on the part of the wheel that's closest to the frame? I ask because I'm looking at getting the same tire size but also wheels that are 10" wide with -18 offset. Several people say it fits without rubbing or very slight rubbing. So I'm curious how the negative offset helps or increases the chance of rubbing,

mplaramie

Reaction score
For the guys that had rubbing was on the part of the wheel that's closest to the frame? I ask because I'm looking at getting the same tire size but also wheels that are 10" wide with -18 offset. Several people say it fits without rubbing or very slight rubbing. So I'm curious how the negative offset helps or increases the chance of rubbing,
Do you have a lift or level? Stock UCA's?

I run a 22x10 -18 wheel. Went with 285/50/22 size Toyo AT3'S for a few reasons. 1- to stay clear of rubbing the UCA. Have a 3" CO lift and Icon UCA's. Could probably go with a 295. 2- have no rubbing. I didn't want to cut, heat, bend anything. 3- I don't off road so stuffing a huge tire wasn't a big deal. The 285/50/22 is a 33.5" tire.

With the negative offset, you typically can rub the front mudflap because it brings the wheel out. If you look at the front mudflap/wheelwell, it jogs in a little bit. That's why the stock wheels are +19. It misses the stock UCA'S and at full lock, it falls into the indent.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

ws6guy

Reaction score
yeah that makes sense. Looking at the clearance with the stock wheels it appears it will be close to rubbing. I'd prefer to stick with a 9" wheel so I could stick with a 285 tire but the wheels I like are 10" and 285's look a little narrow on 10's.

I usually level my trucks and put on larger AT tires. However this time I'm going to leave the front alone and likely lower the rear and go with a highway tire instead.

TrueBlue69

Reaction score
I thought I’d chime in since this thread was really my deciding factor in tire decision. I decided to take advantage of the Mopar “Buy 3 Get 1 for a $1” deal.

I’m running a 2022 Laramie Night Edition, coil suspension, no lift or level. I had about 13,000 on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Ram did something right when they chose those over the Goodyears. Definitely a better tire but it’s a truck and those were something I’d run on my SUV. I should also say my driving style is spirited and I spend at least 80% of my time on pavement so I didn’t want anything too extreme.

After much deliberation around weight and reading other reviews about rubbing I decided to take a chance on the AT3s in 305/45r22. The dealership I took it too warned me that they may not fit but I told them to do it anyway and I’m glad I did!

Here’s my honest opinion after 2 days:
  • Look: HUGE improvement. Lots more stares from folks and even the dealership said they’d start recommending after seeing. I still think a taller sidewall would fill out the wells more but I also love the wide tire. It makes the truck look more planted.
  • Road noise: I LOVED the quiet in the can with the Pirellis. The Toyos are NOT silent. There is noticeable road noise even with the radio lowered. Is it bad, heck no. It’s very reasonable for the aggressive nature of the tires. I wanted the rugged look as well as performance so I’ll sacrifice a little noise for that.
  • Comfort: Immediately noticeable. Felt more planted on the road and even seemed to absorb more of the road defects. For those wondering I’m running 40 PSI.
  • Performance: I’m counting on a good winter this year so will update based on that, as well as wet and ice.
  • Rubbing: Drumroll…nothing! Perfection! I may still level the truck in the future but no immediate need! I’ll continue to put it in full lock situations and see if I can get it to run but this far not a single issue. View attachment 171773 View attachment 171774 View attachment 171775
How did the AT3's hold up during this past winter for you? How did the AT3's perform in wet conditions and in snow/ice?

m2kdc

Reaction score
How did the AT3's hold up during this past winter for you? How did the AT3's perform in wet conditions and in snow/ice?

Fantastic on ice. Outperformed every tire I’ve previously owned with other vehicles. Wet weather performance I’ve noticed a significant reduction in hydroplaning/wobble when going through both shallow and deep puddles. Definitely more confidence inspiring. We didn’t have a deep snow this past year, but the several inches we did get the tires performed very well.

Overall, still as impressed as the day I got them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chad202

Reaction score
I never ran an AT tire. My last 2 sets have been Falken Zien 305/45/22 and Nitto 420s 305/45/22. My truck is lowered 1" in front and 3" in the rear. I have 1/4" spacers on all 4 and do have a little rub at full turn. I'm thinking about going with a 305/40/22 AT tire which according to websites are a little wider and a little shorter than the 305/45s. I would like to stay with an XL tire.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
I’m running the Mickey Thompson Baja 285/55/22 on my 21 Limited. Ready lift level, revel suspension links, bora 1.25 spacers. Zero rub. I got the tires before I installed the level kit etc so had minor rubbing. Did the zip ties for the front of the tire well, and a heat gun to mold the rear wheel well. Zero rubbing on all modes, barely feel the difference and noise from stock. Inspired by tyh2009.

Attachments

• IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3086.jpeg
    IMG_3086.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3090.jpeg
    IMG_3090.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3091.jpeg
    IMG_3091.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 17

Bo-Bearski

Reaction score
I’m running the Mickey Thompson Baja 285/55/22 on my 21 Limited. Ready lift level, revel suspension links, bora 1.25 spacers. Zero rub. I got the tires before I installed the level kit etc so had minor rubbing. Did the zip ties for the front of the tire well, and a heat gun to mold the rear wheel well. Zero rubbing on all modes, barely feel the difference and noise from stock. Inspired by tyh2009.
I'm shopping those at this very moment. MT offering $100 rebate ends tomorrow. How's the ride/handling moving up to an LT E rated tire, compared to to the stock size? Noise? My experience is all AT tires get louder as they wear. I've read good things so far.

tkee

Reaction score
I’ve only had for about 2.5 weeks but I was alil disappointed as well with the performance in the rain.. I also am unsure what psi to run. Tire shop put in 40 so I figure I’d trial that for now.
I would lower the pressure to 35. Even on toyo's website it says to match the pressure with what your door calls for. Speaking from experience I dropped mine to 35 and been very happy with them.

I also want to second everyone who said they lost MPG. I did a level and these tires and lost just about 2mpg...

Black19

Reaction score
I would lower the pressure to 35. Even on toyo's website it says to match the pressure with what your door calls for. Speaking from experience I dropped mine to 35 and been very happy with them.

I also want to second everyone who said they lost MPG. I did a level and these tires and lost just about 2mpg...
I called Toyo gave them my truck specs and they advised 43psi, mine are the same tire but in LT285/60/20. I’m running 39F & 37R, but still playing to find the right psi.

Black19

Reaction score

Had them at 35 and was scared to cup or round the fronts.

tkee

Reaction score
I called Toyo gave them my truck specs and they advised 43psi, mine are the same tire but in LT285/60/20. I’m running 39F & 37R, but still playing to find the right psi.
I had the stock 284/45/22's at 40 PSI and they wore pretty bad in the middle, now that I am a 305/45/22 I am afraid to over fill again so this is interesting to hear.

Had them at 35 and was scared to cup or round the fronts.
I would definitely keep an eye on them like I said years of my stock wheels at 40psi they totally wore faster in the middle like being over filled...

Black19

Reaction score
I had the stock 284/45/22's at 40 PSI and they wore pretty bad in the middle, now that I am a 305/45/22 I am afraid to over fill again so this is interesting to hear.

I would definitely keep an eye on them like I said years of my stock wheels at 40psi they totally wore faster in the middle like being over filled...
I have read so much on this and it’s about 50/50 on going 35 or up in the low 40’s.
I like your experience in this and may need to lower them. I have about 500 miles on them and at 40 cold they are a little squirly. They seem to handle better at 35 cold. Just don’t want to wear them either way right off the bat!

tkee

Reaction score
I have read so much on this and it’s about 50/50 on going 35 or up in the low 40’s.
I like your experience in this and may need to lower them. I have about 500 miles on them and at 40 cold they are a little squirly. They seem to handle better at 35 cold. Just don’t want to wear them either way right off the bat!
We all spend so much money on our tires I don't blame any of us for being overly worried. haha

Users who are viewing this thread