5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyo’s or Falkens

Black19

Reaction score
I will need tires by mid-late summer. I have been researching to much but have it narrowed down to two.
Some back history, currently stock wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 275/60/20 with a 2” RC struts up front and 1” spacer in rear.
I’m looking to go to a 285/60/20 using my 1-1/4” bora spacers or new wheels. Tires decision first.
The Toyo’s come in a 285/60/20 p rated which will keep the weight down, but never running them I’m worried about the wet traction. I like the way they look.
The Wildpeaks that I have are great except I don’t want to purchase a soon to be discontinued tire so I would go with the new ATW4 which is very heavy in the same size 285/60/20 e rated and being new did they change the compound…how is wet traction going to be.
Most of my traveling is backroads/ highways with weekend trips to the cabin on a few dirt roads.
Any thoughts……?

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either. I love the Falken AT3W's and they amaze me constantly. I'm hoping the AT4W's live up to the hype. I think the extra weight isn't a bad thing. P rated and LT E rated are completely different.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I have ran many, many tires over the years. Toyo AT2's, RT's and MT's among them. I can't quit these Falken's. My dad is on his second set on his 17 Rebel and he looks at you cross-eyed if you bring up another tire (there are lot's of good tires out there). We use our trucks. These Wildpeaks take a beating, are super super quiet, but what impresses me the most is the wear, or lack of. I have 26,000 miles on a lifted truck in these next two pictures. Some people don't consider tread depth but I do. These started out at 20/32, the most of any AT.

20240521_183840.jpg tread.PNG
bltr.PNG mud.PNG sand.PNG rd.PNG rebel.PNG winch.PNG rams.PNG

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I'll cast a vote for the Falkens. I have 62,000 miles on my current set of 285/65r20 AT3W 10 plies and they still have ~60% tread left. Wet traction, road noise, and off road traction have impressed me at every turn. I will most likely replace them well before the tread gets to a low enough level to warrant replacement. I will shop around when that time comes but it will be tough to pull me away from a Falken brand tire.

Edit: Lots of nice looking rigs up there, all of you

Pgathomas

Reaction score
Your truck looks great. Thank you for the feedback on the Toyo’s. I have run Falkens for years it might be time for a change. They look amazing!
thanks...I honestly couldn't be any happier with them.

Black19

Reaction score
Sounds like I can’t go wrong either way. I thought Inwould never buy anything other than Falken, because the ATW3 is so good for me now. But I may try out the Toyo for a different look! Not to mention they weigh far less!

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Sounds like I can’t go wrong either way. I thought Inwould never buy anything other than Falken, because the ATW3 is so good for me now. But I may try out the Toyo for a different look! Not to mention they weigh far less!
Out of curiosity I looked into the Toyo RT Trails because they look great. But I found they are 2 ply sidewall, not 3 peak mountain snowflake rated and only have a 45k mile warranty.

The Falkens are 3 ply, 3PMS rated and have a 60k mile warranty. This was in the one or two sizes I was interested in, not the whole lineup.

Reaper3751

Reaction score
I agree, but they are so heavy. I do a lot of highway miles.
They’re also a wider tire than most. Not sure how they get away with it but the same size AT4W will be noticeably wider than the same size Toyo. Just something to think about with weight

Black19

Reaction score
They’re also a wider tire than most. Not sure how they get away with it but the same size AT4W will be noticeably wider than the same size Toyo. Just something to think about with weight
I noticed that as well! It’s a super hard decision. No doubt the AT4W will perform well, it comes down to how will the Toyo perform and if much will the mpg suffer. Trade offs for everything!

Users who are viewing this thread